British Grand Prix 2013, Silverstone - Race 8/19

From Hamilton:

I think it’s a waste of time talking to anyone at the moment, if I’m honest. They can see what happened today, if they don’t react on it then this is everything.

Nothing. They've already been made.

Safety trumps cash, and ultimately the cost of tyres for a weekend isn't a patch on F1 total spending nor anything anyone would worry about. The question is how many of the alternate tyres are there, and how many of the older tyre are there. The ones with the metal bands delaminated but were far far less damaging. A couple of the older type did completely screw up, but every one of these that went completely went, so its much worse.

I think the older tyre is probably the way to go for next weekend because I would assume there are plenty sitting somewhere unused, while the "new" version might not be available for only a week away.

Someone just twattered this picture of a curb at Silverstone (I believe)

BOA7gF0CUAAXNxVjpg-large_zpsaac8c0bf.jpeg

Dont know why people are bashing Pirelli. From what i seen they were told to make the tires less durable and less predictable. Today they got it wrong with the blowouts but it's not like they cant make longer lasting tires?

Dont know why people are bashing Pirelli. From what i seen they were told to make the tires less durable and less predictable. Today they got it wrong with the blowouts but it's not like they cant make longer lasting tires?

Because, as has been said multiple times, tyres lasting 15 laps instead of 50 laps is entirely different to randomly exploding tyres.

One is what they were asked to do and is safe, the other is not.

Pretty sure the FIA didn't ask for dangerously exploding tyre failures.

they wanted more pit stops so wanted tires to not last as long and wear faster so they means softer tires.

softer tires are going to be more at risk of puncturing due to softer rubber.

harder tires that last longer are going to be stronger and less likely to get the same punctures...

niki lauder in the background telling hamilton he could have killed several people with that puncture.

I don't think these failures are directly the result of softer wearing tread compounds, they've made soft compounds previously without this problem, I think this is more related to revised manufacturing techniques rather than compound durability.

Back
Top Bottom