British Grand Prix 2013, Silverstone - Race 8/19

But short of a team donating another car to Pirelli and them running it almost continuously for a week or more to get a neutral driver up to speed, what else can be done in such a short space of time?

They have a 2010 *I think* Renault, but they're not allowed to use it as other teams complained that it would give Genii a competitive advantage.

Ha, makes me look like a ****.

:p

But admitting it and making a joke about it makes it okay by me.

I said it kinda felt like they were trying not to show it, but you can see from the camera it just pans up because there is a potential overtake happening, cameras always move away from cars on their own to get the action, and sometimes miss stuff, thats just the way it goes without enough cameras. Though I've always wondered why, particularly at the end of a DRS straight they don't have a couple extra camera's so they can capture multiple bits of action. Earlier on they missed Perez finishing his overtake because they followed two others around the corner.

How long till F-zero, hover cars and bumpers to keep them on the track, solves the tyre issues and they can add jumps :p

Yea but the track stewards will be working overtime to determine who cut curbs and what not :D

In other news, I didn't watch the post race stuff, but what was the consensus among the paddock regarding the tyres, was it due to debris? the kerb? or the crappy nature of Pirelli tyres?

From @joesaward

Jean Todt has told Pirelli to be in Paris on Wednesday this week for a meeting of the Sporting Working Group, in order to take measures to avoid a repeat of the tyre problems that were seen at Silverstone. Pirelli has been asked to propose a solution. The FIA’s priority is, obviously, driver safety, and a suitable solution is deemed to be needed as soon as possible.

It's not like they don't have tyres of a different construction ready - but some teams chose to veto there use for Silverstone...

Last edited:
:p

But admitting it and making a joke about it makes it okay by me.

I said it kinda felt like they were trying not to show it, but you can see from the camera it just pans up because there is a potential overtake happening, cameras always move away from cars on their own to get the action, and sometimes miss stuff, thats just the way it goes without enough cameras. Though I've always wondered why, particularly at the end of a DRS straight they don't have a couple extra camera's so they can capture multiple bits of action. Earlier on they missed Perez finishing his overtake because they followed two others around the corner.

I'm sure someone will have caught it, even if its a member of the public. Rarely something goes uncaptured!

Yea but the track stewards will be working overtime to determine who cut curbs and what not :D

In other news, I didn't watch the post race stuff, but what was the consensus among the paddock regarding the tyres, was it due to debris? the kerb? or the crappy nature of Pirelli tyres?

Sky were assuming tyres, from what people have said on here, bbc were talking about curbs a lot. Thing is, curbs have been there for years, PIrelli have been at all the tracks and need to make a tyre that can handle the tracks F1 race at, so its still down to Pirelli. Though if Silverstone has damage at curbs they either haven't fixed, or have fixed incorrectly, then it takes SOME of the crap away from PIrelli, but look at other races and the tyres exploding and how many other seasons has it happened in full stop, let alone every couple races.

The daft thing is this happened, Pirelli HAVE changed the tyres, and they've gotten worse. its less that the tyres go, its more how the tyres are going, utterly destroying themselves, throwing high speed rubber and kevlar at the cars around them, its not quite grenade style but its not hard to imagine that doing serious damage to other cars or a huge chunk or rubber smashing into a drivers helmet at high speed.

How they are failing is at the moment significantly more dangerous than the fact that they are failing. These guys are getting zero warning and going full speed when they go, most punctures in the past 10 years tend to happen much more slowly, less destructively and give the driver more warning to slow down and protect the car, themselves and other drivers.

but look at other races and the tyres exploding and how many other seasons has it happened in full stop, let alone every couple races.

The failures this season haven't been the tyre exploding, but delaminating (which sometimes caused additional damage to the tyre). Today it was a structural failure of the tyre. Very different... though no better for Pirelli's image.

So the solution to tyres being too soft and fragile is to make softer curbs, good stuff BBC.

I think the kerbs shouldn't really have that sharp edge, especially if they have given them so much run off that you lose next to nothing running the tyre over the whole kerb and then to come back on the track you have to run the tyre over that sharp lip.

Back
Top Bottom