Poll: British Grand Prix 2022, Silverstone - Race 10

Rate the 2022 British Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
That WordPress article is 8 years old.

It contains different wording, in particular the parts you've (selectively) highlighted, to the F1 Drivers Standards Guidelines, published in April of this year by the FIA.

The term confirmation bias feels appropriate here with what you've posted.
I was going to say the article was 8 years old and I dont know if anything has changed, and if it has please feel free to post the difference :)

I'm not particularly for or against Max, so no bias intended, I'd just like to know what the actual rules are as it was my understanding that the above is correct, the person ahead at corner exit has the right to drift to the outside taking the racing line and I always wondered how that fitted in with the 'must give a cars width worth' which looks to be more about on the straight, into and during the corner.

Caporegime
That may have been what let Pérez past (although Hamilton said it wasn't) but it is not what let Pérez repass him after he got ahead of both Checo and Charles.

Perez would have had him anyway in my opinion, whatever happened.

The car takes too long for the tyres to get into a good window. If Norris could take him and keep pace with him in a Mclaren with no DRS, he stood no chance against the Red Bull with DRS.

Merc need to improve that aspect of the car as the car looks as slow as the rest of the midfield at the start of races, whilst the RB and Ferrari's dissappear.

Soldato
I was going to say the article was 8 years old and I dont know if anything has changed, and if it has please feel free to post the difference :)

I'm not particularly for or against Max, so no bias intended, I'd just like to know what the actual rules are as it was my understanding that the above is correct, the person ahead at corner exit has the right to drift to the outside taking the racing line and I always wondered how that fitted in with the 'must give a cars width worth' which looks to be more about on the straight, into and during the corner.
@Flibster already did, some people just don't agree with what was posted so forget about them

Soldato
@Flibster already did, some people just don't agree with what was posted so forget about them
None of that contradicts what I posted though?

And it doesn't even mention the racing line out of the corner, which is where I've always understood the person ahead has the right to drift to the outside of the track, ie: take the racing line. It's for the person behind to yield and if they don't then they go off track, which is their fault.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Fan’s eye view of Zhou’s crash.

Wow. I just can't fathom how we never had the halo now. I don't think opinion about it is so polarising now.

Also, I used to know the guy who posted that vid (friend of a friend). Small world.

Soldato
Wow. I just can't fathom how we never had the halo now. I don't think opinion about it is so polarising now.

Also, I used to know the guy who posted that vid (friend of a friend). Small world.

Why does that crash make you think that? Plenty of similar incidents in the past where the drivers were fine. Hence why we didn't have the halo.

Still, good to have it now though.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Why does that crash make you think that? Plenty of similar incidents in the past where the drivers were fine. Hence why we didn't have the halo.

Still, good to have it now though.

Exactly my point, plenty of huge crashes in much more open cockpits have seen drivers walk away in F1, Indycar etc. Pure luck. However I can't see how Zhou would have walked away yesterday. The roll hoop was compromised so that left only his helmet vs the halo. The halo is taking the luck out of the equation for this kind of accident. We'd have 2/3 fewer drivers due to injury or worse today without it so it's definitely been worth it. Personally find it less offensive to the look of the cars vs the aeroscreen, but that's by-the-by.

Soldato
The bit for me is the air intake/roll hoop basically disintegrated relying on the halo to do the job. Have the roll hoops become weaker/safe zone lowered since halo or just the forces involved here unique and sanded it away? With no halo looks like his helmet could have been in contact with the ground

Transmission breaker
Don
I think what Max did was right on the edge of acceptable, and that is a drivers' job. So he is using the fullest extent of the rules to get the most out of the situation.
Is it "nice", no, but no-one is "nice" at the sharp end, and when the chips are down.

I am certain the Zhou accident would have been worse without the halo. The roll hoop is also unlikely to stand up to that kind of punishment, and hence why all the safety measures are designed to work together, and no one is more important than the other in the grand scheme. Look at the big F2 shunt this weekend, without the halo, we would almost certainly have had a driver dead.

They will have to look into the flight of the car into the catch fencing though, it seemed the halo may have caused that, and in that situation a fire would have been catastrophic. That or the distance been catch-fencing and the barriers. They really needed to be able to roll that car flat more quickly. I have no doubt they will look to change the circuit guidelines to address this in the near future!

Soldato
Fan’s eye view of Zhou’s crash.

That camera man/person was really not flinching, or he has the best IS in the world. Mental crash really when you see it like that.

Caporegime
Five winners from the weekend

Sainz: finally got his pole and win. Great for a likeable driver and it'll maybe give him the confidence to turn his season around
Mick: finally got his first points, after an excellent race. Sure he was lucky but he made the most of it.
Pérez: turned round a major early setback to get a solid podium. Exactly the kind of recovery performance Red Bull needed on an otherwise bad day.
Mercedes: unlucky to lose Russell early but Hamilton had real race winning pace and had better tyre wear than his competitors. On the right track they're back at the front of the pack.
Alonso: best result of the season so far. Best of the rest is a solid result for Alpine.

Five losers from the weekend

Leclerc: Should have won the race. Clearly faster than his teammate, events and his team conspired against him. With Max having a bad day, Charles desperately needed to take as many points as possible out of him.
Ferrari: Yes, Sainz won, but this should have been a double podium for them and not ensuring their real championship contender got the bast strategy was proper clown stuff.
Ricciardo: On yet another day where his teammate was fighting as the best of the rest, Dani was nowhere. His future must be in doubt.
Tsunoda: Hit his teammate, trashing both their races. He's made big improvements this year, but incidents like this must threaten his future.
Stroll: After failing to put in his characteristic strong showing in wet conditions on Saturday, he then failed to capitalise on a day when so many fell by the wayside.

Soldato
Gasly should have been a bit smarter, but once he was there he can't go anywhere else. I did initially think it was Tsunoda given the shoddiness of the move. :D
On Tsunoda, does he have a contract for next year with AT? This weekend wont have done him any favours.

It needs a common sense test applied. Gasly at all times has eyes on where Russell is, so the onus is on him to overtake safely. Russell has restricted visibility over his shoulder and can only see Gasly if he actively seeks it out in his mirrors, and he did check. There's no way if he'd seen him in the mirror he'd have pulled across, as you witnessed the carnage that ensued and that's not in anyone's interest.

So yeah, Gasly's a numpty.

Soldato
None of that contradicts what I posted though?

It does. The recent rules state that if the overtaking car has it's front wheels overlapping any part of the car defending then it needs to be allowed a car width. Your old Wordpress article states it has to be at least half a car length ahead by the apex otherwise has to concede.

Mick had the required overlap and more, otherwise why would he have to exit the track to avoid Max's over-aggressive bull****.

Caporegime
Gasly should have been a bit smarter, but once he was there he can't go anywhere else. I did initially think it was Tsunoda given the shoddiness of the move. :D

Gasly did absolutely nothing wrong. He's completely entitled to try and outdrag a slow starting car away from the start.

Look at his positioning here:

gM2JJ21.png

Nothing wrong with that at all.

On Tsunoda, does he have a contract for next year with AT? This weekend wont have done him any favours.

No, he doesn't. He's improved a lot this year, but this was a shocker for him. He's likely going to cop a race ban this year at some point too, giving Lawson a chance to stake his claim to that seat.

Soldato
Although it's very much a case of win some/lose some, is there any way the safety car situation could be changed so drivers don't lose their time advantages? Arguably it's down to the strategists to deal with it now (something I would say Mercedes and Ferrari have been quite weak with) but we saw in Abu Dhabi last year the effect of that and then yesterday, Perez wasn't anywhere close and still needed to pit to use his 2nd compound and Hamilton was possibly on course for the win but lost all his advantage and benefit of the newer harder tyres he had over the Ferrari's. It more and more feels like the time difference should be "kept" to make it fairer.

Personal opinion only and all that....

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone think Stroll would still have a seat if his dad didn’t own the team and wasn’t a major shareholder in AM?

Who’s likely to get Daniel Ricciardo’s McLaren seat next season? He’s under delivering enormously and there must be a dozen F2 drivers who’d jump into that seat for Morrison shelf-stacker wages.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom