• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: BROWSE THE NVIDIA RTX 4000 SERIES AT OcUK !!

Are you buying 4000 series, if so which one?

• YES: 4090 24GB

Votes: 153 19.4%
  • YES: 4080 16GB

Votes: 23 2.9%
  • YES: 4080 12GB

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • NO: 3000 SERIES

Votes: 55 7.0%
  • NO: SKIPPING THIS ROUND!

Votes: 550 69.8%

• Total voters
Yeah, seems a very strange way to do it

I mean why not just buy the USD today to cover it and lock in the price, or buy it 30 days forward, for the forward contract you would only pay the interest rate diff between the 2 countries for 30 days, which will be virtually nothing.

Seems a strange strategy to me.

That is how our systems book stock, quite common, I've worked at two competitors who used similar methods.
As to when and how goods are paid for is totally upto finance. :)
For example distribution also re-value stock based on exchange rate, some do it daily, weekly or monthly, the ones selling mainly USD stock, so CPU's, GPU's etc tend to update daily irrelevant of what they booked in at or paid for at, this way they keep with the market trend.

Last edited:
Got it - just seems in this case the customer price is not as good as it could be, I would think this would be the priority for you guys to be competitive - although if this is the standard process then maybe all are the same.

So booking in the Zotac at 1.08, when you could buy the USD now at 1.1047 and pass on these savings to the customer.

In the case of a $1800 card, this could save the customer £35 or so.

I have no idea about the sales or procurement industry, my background is in markets trading and so to me this just seems strange - but so be it!

We buy on account, so we pay for goods 30-60 days later, at which point we could be paying at a rate of 1.05 so we should have charged the customer more. Works both ways. :)
No one pays for goods upfront any more not when buying such large volumes.

Last edited:
Yeah I get that, but you know how much you are going to have to pay in USD - so you can lock that price now and be protected for any exchange rate changes and guarantee the best price for the customer while protecting yourself from having to pay more.

Maybe I should get a job in finance for computer parts :) I am retired now, but I retired early so still got plenty of time to learn!

Finance decisions, maybe they have or maybe right now there is not the cash on hand to do so. That is an area of the business that is run by them, but all the companies I've worked book stock at a live rate and generally below the live rate. Companies who buy dollars my have a 2M reserve with like a 1.25 rate but they will still book stock at the live rate and make the additional margin as when things go the opposite direction they then need to still remain competitive which could mean selling at a loss. End of the day for a business its about balancing so when good margin times come grab them because there are also times when products are sold at losses.

Last edited:
Yeah, maybe there is a good reason for it - but from the outside it seems strange to me.

When I traded FX and complex derivative products, customers were desperate to protect themselves from exposure and variance - just seems weird that the pc parts industry would not do so; especially in a highly competitive market when this "booked in rate" actually impacts how much you charge for the product.

I always assume finance people would know how to protect themselves / their companies from such things - maybe I was wrong.

As I say maybe we do, but I'd not be privvy to that, I don't pay the bills.
When market price drops and I am sat on old stock, I reduce my margin to remain competitive as I see what cost the stock was booked at, so in USD the actual paid price could be lower or higher, the exchange rate variance account will deal with that, now of course on product purchased in GBP from a distributor is my true landed cost, but again when the market moves I move my price, this can result in me making less profit or a loss or it can result in me having greater profits or the ability to undercut the market if required.

Hi there

Guys here is the stock on hand, IN STOCK in our warehouse now:

Asus TUF None OC - No availability until later today/tomorrow and very limited stock with no future shipments planned.
Asus TUF OC - Limited availability (less than 50)! More next month.
ASus Strix None OC - No availability and no ETA!
Asus Strix OC - Extremely limited availability and no more coming until November/December! (less than 30)

Gigabyte WindForce - Good availability (100 units)!
Gigabyte Gaming - Superb availability (200 units)!
Gigabyte Aorus Master - Extremely limited availability (20 units) and no more due until November/December!
Gigabyte Aorus AIO - Mega extremely limited availability (5 units) and no more due until November/December!

Inno3D X3 - Poor availability (20 units)
Inno3D iChill X3 - OK availability (50 units)
Inno3D iChill Black - November onwards
Inno3D Frostbite - December onwards

KFA2 - December onwards
Palit - No stock, due in about 1-2 weeks, poor availability
PNY - No stock, due in about 1-2 weeks, poor availability

MSI Gaming - No availability
MSI Gaming X - Poor availability (20 units)
MSI Suprim X - Great availability (100+ units)
MSI Suprim X Liquid - No availability, November/December onwards

Zotac Trinity - Good availability (100 units)
Zotac Trinity OC - Good availability (100 units)
Zotac AMP AIRO - Good availability (100 units)

I would steer clear of cards below 20 units, were expecting hardly any additional stock this month, what you see above is all we have potentially for October, were more deliveries due November.
We will do our best but with so few units on certain cards like Strix and Aorus they will sell out within seconds, potentially minutes, in short only order if your happy to wait 4-12 weeks.

Zotac all cards, Gigabyte WindForce & Gaming, MSI Suprim X are the best bets stock wise!

Back
Top Bottom