BRSK Packet loss

Associate
Hi all. first post.
I was with Virgin, telewest etc for 24 years or so but wanted a isp with parity on DL and UL. So chose BRSK and it was cheaper on the 1gig.
For the first few months it appeared ok. Then when we started working at home we have had drop outs on Teams and Voip which made it in practical to use. This is using both Ethernet and WiFi. Lag started on xbox (ever so slight - microlag I guess?)
I was using a third party router, thought it might have been that and went back to using there own - Same difference.

Got BRSK out and they did some checks (albeit without any of their hardware when they tested at my house) After seeing the speed tests Ookla go high then low and then climb back up (900Mbps doewn to 300Mbps and finishing on 700Mbps for example) could see there was an issue.
After seeing inside my home server type cabinet it was determined it was my equipment. However all my stuff was switched off, it was just the ONT, their router and my desktop (they had no laptop with them) They changed something on the telegraph pole and something "down the road" Still not working. swapped to a new BRSK router - same issues.
They said it was my equipement based on them taking a photo of the inside of my messy server cabinet and sending it to h/o. This is even though I told them it was all off!!

Anyway still a problem and using a ping plotter I can see loads of packet loss. They have said they will come back out but a £40 charge when they find out it is my equipment?!?

Basically I am asking what could be causing it? Ping is mainly solid 8ms, but speed goes up and down every third or fourth continuous speed test. I had packet loss on the Xbox also.
Now the engineer has said he is coming out to check but his laptop (work one I guess) can only go up to 300Mbps?

Any advice or suggestions is really appreciated.
thank you for reading.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Plug a laptop or computer directly into the ONT and test from there. Have the engineer do this also (wired, no wifi). They should know this however.

If the visiting engineer is being a pillock then open a complaint.

Man of Honour
I will be doing that myself today, I am sure last time I tried I couldn't get internet. I prob needed to reboot the box and pc. Thanks again
You need the log on details if it's PPPoE (and potentially VLAN). Their support should run you through that before even sending an engineer.

Associate
OP
You need the log on details if it's PPPoE (and potentially VLAN). Their support should run you through that before even sending an engineer.
Thanks again for that, I would not have known about it to be 100%. I will give them a call and see if they want to help me - help them, with this obvious solution that should determin where fault very possibly lies. Should have come to this site about 6 months ago, could have saved a lot of heartache!

Soldato
Where is the packet loss happening? Saying that your ping is a solid 8ms isn't overly helpful, you haven't said where you're pinging. Same goes for quoting speed test results - how are you measuring it?

What's happening that makes you notice the packet loss?

Run a continual ping to your router. Any loss?

Run a continual ping to something on the internet, 8.8.8.8 for example. Any loss?

Run a traceroute to 8.8.8.8 and post the output.

Associate
OP
What is happening is I get disconnects from rdp or teams calls break up. Xbox lags just a quick second here and there. Plus a check on xbox soes show sometimes 100% packet loss.
I recently checked with and found the packet loss by using Ping plotter.
When I am pinging i usually use 8.8.8.8 but do vary.
Continual ping is 8 / 9ms then a timeout after 20 or so.

Soldato
Nothing there looks unusual. Were you having any connectivity problems at the time you did those tests? Have you got any of the ping plotter results you can post?

If not, leave the ping to 8.8.8.8 running and see what it does when Teams is messing about. Probably worth running a continual ping to whatever hosts you're RDPing to. If you start to notice packet loss then do a traceroute to that host and see what it says.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Nothing there looks unusual. Were you having any connectivity problems at the time you did those tests? Have you got any of the ping plotter results you can post?

If not, leave the ping to 8.8.8.8 running and see what it does when Teams is messing about. Probably worth running a continual ping to whatever hosts you're RDPing to. If you start to notice packet loss then do a traceroute to that host and see what it says.
Appreciating the advice, thank you

Associate
OP

Just ran a quick Pingplotter and got this. I am honest I am new to tracing and using software like this.

Soldato
PingPlotter looks OK because the destination, google.com, doesn't have any packet loss.

Can you create a BQM? https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

You'll need to configure your router to respond to pings.

I don't think the problem is that the router isn't responding to pings. If it wasn't then there would be 100% packet loss but it's showing 70% which is very unusual.

How's that PC connected to the router?

Associate
OP
I am currently connected using ethernet. cat 7, through a 2.5gbps switch.
Other times I connect directly form router, same issues.
I am running a BQM as suggested and seeing how that goes? A bit out my depth here. However I have tried a few things to rule out different things it could be. I have directly connected the pc to router - have speed issues. the NIC I have is 2.5gbps l226.v believe it has probelms (I read that online). But when using the a laptop I get same speed issues over wifi. Xbox shows 60% the speed I should get but it is not accurate I understand, however it shows packet loss and i also get these microlags that stoip the flow of the game for a second or so. t
This image I have uploaded, I am not sure if useful as I cant really understand it!?

Soldato
The one thing I do notice is all three pingplotter graphs show PL at the starting point my 192.168.68.1? Is that important do you know.
cheers Rich

Yep, it's unusual hence why I asked how the PC was connected to the router. It's possible to set the router to not respond to pings at all but if that were the case there would be 100% packet loss. To get 70& packet loss is very usual and makes me think the issue is within your network.

Can you connect the PC directly to the router (so without the switch) and see if that makes a difference?

Associate
OP
Yep, it's unusual hence why I asked how the PC was connected to the router. It's possible to set the router to not respond to pings at all but if that were the case there would be 100% packet loss. To get 70& packet loss is very usual and makes me think the issue is within your network.

Can you connect the PC directly to the router (so without the switch) and see if that makes a difference?
100% I have done that, part of trying to rule things out. Only one thing I can think of that is causing interfearance is the ONT is installed right next to several sockets and switch panels etc. I did though turn all that off and still same issues. I am going to try what ChrisD said and go direct from ONT to PC. Gotta try it!

Soldato
100% I have done that, part of trying to rule things out. Only one thing I can think of that is causing interfearance is the ONT is installed right next to several sockets and switch panels etc. I did though turn all that off and still same issues. I am going to try what ChrisD said and go direct from ONT to PC. Gotta try it!
Nah, it won't be interference.

Definitely worth connecting the PC directly to the ONT though.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour

The router has to be configured in the right way for the BQM to work.

It is not unusual for devices/routers/whatever to drop ICMP packets, which can be seen in the PingPlotter screenshot. All 112 pings still made it to their destination with 0 loss.

@the-evaluator Can you link to the live BQM?

Soldato
The router has to be configured in the right way for the BQM to work.

It is not unusual for devices/routers/whatever to drop ICMP packets, which can be seen in the PingPlotter screenshot. All 112 pings still made it to their destination with 0 loss.

@the-evaluator Can you link to the live BQM?

Dunno how I totally missed the 0% packet loss to the destination. It is unusual for a router to show 70% packet loss to the LAN interface though, I'd expect 0% or 100% but it's most likely a red herring here.

Back
Top Bottom