BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
Evening, I'm moving into a FTTP enabled new build (2020) this week and I'm still undecided which ISP to go for.
I've had FTTC with Plusnet for the last 7.5yrs with zero issues. Not fussed about the ISP provided router, I'll be using my own existing setup probably.

Static IP is a bonus but not a deal breaker.
I'll likely opt for a minimum of 500mb.

BT seems suspiciously cheap compared to the likes to Zen/IDNET.
I was looking at Vodafone but oddly their website doesn't list any full fibre plans for the property when they did last week. Maybe the pop hit capacity.

Just a bit out the scene to be honest. Any input is welcome.

Man of Honour
BT/Sky/Zen are all perfectly fine. Vodafone are rumoured to have congestion issues and I have read Sky have too but I haven't seen anything conclusive for the latter. I'm with Zen personally as I require a static IP address for work and the connection has been flawless.

V F

V F

Soldato
BT/Sky/Zen are all perfectly fine. Vodafone are rumoured to have congestion issues and I have read Sky have too but I haven't seen anything conclusive for the latter. I'm with Zen personally as I require a static IP address for work and the connection has been flawless.

Oh, where did you find that out?

Man of Honour
Oh, where did you find that out?
Sky forums and other sources. They apparently delayed launching FTTP due to internal network/congestion issues and wanted more capacity. Whether that's true or not I don't know but it does strike me as odd that they took so long and they still don't offer the full 900 Mbps package.

Soldato
Evening, I'm moving into a FTTP enabled new build (2020) this week and I'm still undecided which ISP to go for.
I've had FTTC with Plusnet for the last 7.5yrs with zero issues. Not fussed about the ISP provided router, I'll be using my own existing setup probably.

Static IP is a bonus but not a deal breaker.
I'll likely opt for a minimum of 500mb.

BT seems suspiciously cheap compared to the likes to Zen/IDNET.
I was looking at Vodafone but oddly their website doesn't list any full fibre plans for the property when they did last week. Maybe the pop hit capacity.

Just a bit out the scene to be honest. Any input is welcome.

What sort of deals around for BT atm please I'm end of my current BT contract and paying 42.99 for line and 50 !!

Associate

Interesting I wonder if that's why they pulled the full fibre packages over the weekend.. was a bit weird either way

Soldato
I'm interested too, we're moving into a ~2018 house soon with FTTP. I've seen a lot of negative reviews on the Vodafone offering but Sky's FTTP hasn't really been out long enough to know exactly how good it is or not yet.

Soldato
What sort of deals around for BT atm please I'm end of my current BT contract and paying 42.99 for line and 50 !!
I signed up for the 500 package at £39 for 24 months with BT, getting it installed on the 28th :) I'm a new customer so it might be a deal for me, currently paying £31 with PN for 74. No line rental included though but not bothered as we never use it.

Soldato
I signed up for the 500 package at £39 for 24 months with BT, getting it installed on the 28th :) I'm a new customer so it might be a deal for me, currently paying £31 with PN for 74. No line rental included though but not bothered as we never use it.

Thankyou I'll call them tomorrow see what they can do :)

I'm in 2 minds about line rental my phone isn't even plugged in ! Is there a disadvantage of not having one at all ? Any utilities, banks or something I'm notnthinking about that might require a landline when doing an application etc ? I have unlimited calls on my.mobile

Thanks

V F

V F

Soldato

I'm in 2 minds about line rental my phone isn't even plugged in ! Is there a disadvantage of not having one at all ? Any utilities, banks or something I'm notnthinking about that might require a landline when doing an application etc ? I have unlimited calls on my.mobile

Thanks

Somehow I doubt it. Everyone and their dog and granny is on a mobile. The phone would be VoIP anyway.

Associate
I'm interested too, we're moving into a ~2018 house soon with FTTP. I've seen a lot of negative reviews on the Vodafone offering but Sky's FTTP hasn't really been out long enough to know exactly how good it is or not yet.

On the strength of a solid/no issues year of fttp Sky Ultrafast I've upgraded to Sky Ultrafast Plus - £35 for 18 months.

Associate

Thanks

I used virtual landline when my mum was in hospital. https://www.virtuallandline.co.uk/

30 day contract and they’ll even hold your number for (I think) 12 months when you cancel.

V F

V F

Soldato
Nice :) I was with Sky FTTC for many years without issue, but 500mb FTTP is a different story with expectations.

What issues were you thinking of? With full fiber the line cannot pick up interference from external sources like copper/aluminium. Unlike the route my cable was that gave many issues.

Back
Top Bottom