BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

@cp88 Sorry just to make absolutely sure. I can basically completely ditch the Smart Hub 2 if I wanted for Eero 6? I take it for digital voice thing I will lose landline since it's built into the Smart Hub 2?

@Caged Sorry yes I am on wired. As for peer to peer I mean a direct connection to another player, not via a server. It's a popular method for online fighting games via FightCade (where people are complaining mostly). Those games are pretty input sensitive that if the ping magically shoots up by 20 or so you can actually notice it.

Did you move from Zen to Plusnet in the end? If so, did you notice any difference? Ta :)

Ah no worries ta.

I need to move from BT to 'something' FTTC Based as the contract expires in two weeks. Currently paying £42ish a month with BT for the 80/20 product along with a phone package which we need.

Looking at £40 a month for Zen with the Digital Voice.. or £36ish with Plusnet, but bear in mind when moving that Plusnet/BT up their prices each year along with CPI plus some extra % they make up, so the BT/Plusnet packages do increase in cost partway through, Zen don't appear to do this yet?

Switch over day is this Friday. Wish me luck lol. No I'm sure it'll be fine, I have a very stable line so as long as PN don't mess up too bad I should be a tenner a month better off without noticing it.

@cp88 Sorry just to make absolutely sure. I can basically completely ditch the Smart Hub 2 if I wanted for Eero 6? I take it for digital voice thing I will lose landline since it's built into the Smart Hub 2?

@Caged Sorry yes I am on wired. As for peer to peer I mean a direct connection to another player, not via a server. It's a popular method for online fighting games via FightCade (where people are complaining mostly). Those games are pretty input sensitive that if the ping magically shoots up by 20 or so you can actually notice it.

Yeah you completely ditch the Smart Hub 2, ethernet from the ONT to the WAN port on the new replacement router and you're good to go (Talktalk for example just use DHCP so you don't even need to setup the PPPoE details).

You would loose the landline I believe though yes, I assume there is a product out that you could use to add it back in (SIP gateway or something similar) but I am unsure on this, I haven't had a landline phone for many years.

Last edited:
@cp88I take it for digital voice thing I will lose landline since it's built into the Smart Hub 2?

You would loose the landline I believe though yes, I assume there is a product out that you could use to add it back in (SIP gateway or something similar) but I am unsure on this, I haven't had a landline phone for many years.

BT Digital Voice is entirely reliant on the Smart Hub 2. BT don't publish SIP endpoints so you can't use an ATA or other SIP phone. Someone has got it working using a different router though the SH2 is still the device that the Digital Voice terminates on but it's a lot of work -> link.

Surprised Ofcom hasn't forced BT to make it more open like an adapter you can add on. So basically unless you want to have landline on FTTP, you're stuck on SH2 which might be ok but if it's not you're stuck. To counter that you hinge a bet on porting the number out before hand and pay a near pointless extra fee every month because if you change the number to voip after FTTP is active, the broadband gets cancelled. Either that or you have to end up running 3 devices and learn how to use linux.

BT would state the the only way they can effectively secure, manage, and ensure quality of service is by bundling it in with their own Hub. They would also point out the power consumption of splitting the DECT base out into a separate box.

At best Ofcom might insist on a system where the number can be ported without ceasing the FTTP service, I think them declaring what equipment ISPs provide is a step too far. If they were getting into that game I'd prefer it if they legislated that all ISP-supplied equipment must be able to operate in a bridge mode.

Switch over day is this Friday. Wish me luck lol. No I'm sure it'll be fine, I have a very stable line so as long as PN don't mess up too bad I should be a tenner a month better off without noticing it.

Best of luck! :D

My switch from BT to Zen went fine on the Broadband side.. but something went wrong with the digital voice that took them a day and a half to fix, we got incoming calls, but couldn't do outgoing!

Loving the Fritzbox they send, have bought two more off eBay and set them up as Mesh repeaters :)

How much is Plusnet all in? Don't forget the yearly price rises..

So I switched to Plusnet from Zen this morning. Thankfully nothing to report, all went smoothly. Although they now have deals on their website for £23.99. Typical. :mad:

Last edited:
Had to reset my BT Smart Hub 2 again today, as my Sonos stopped connecting to it and wouldn't update.

This is in addition to my Key Light Air and HK Citation stuff refusing to connect too.

Happens periodically, and only a reset fixes it.

I've been on FTTP for several months. Totally flawless on TalkTalk - it never goes down, it's always fast and it just works. Even through lightning, heavy, heavy rain and thunder. Brilliant.

It's such a shame that the delay on live sport is still so poor. My ping is 2ms but sport is like a good 30 seconds behind the TV, I am astonished nobody has tried to resolve this problem yet.

Reactions: KIA
I've been on FTTP for several months. Totally flawless on TalkTalk - it never goes down, it's always fast and it just works. Even through lightning, heavy, heavy rain and thunder. Brilliant.

It's such a shame that the delay on live sport is still so poor. My ping is 2ms but sport is like a good 30 seconds behind the TV, I am astonished nobody has tried to resolve this problem yet.

I’m no expert on the matter but I believe that’s more down to how the content is cached in local locations to save on bandwidth. As streaming it from one location to millions would be impossible.

Had to reset my BT Smart Hub 2 again today, as my Sonos stopped connecting to it and wouldn't update.

This is in addition to my Key Light Air and HK Citation stuff refusing to connect too.

Happens periodically, and only a reset fixes it.

It shouldn't happen, I haven't factory reset my Smart Hub since the day I got it a couple of years ago and I've got loads of Sonos kit.

Back
Top Bottom