BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Most of Sky's network (and every FTTP connection) will work with any router set to DHCP, as long as it understands IPv6 and can request a prefix delegation. Once the PD is requested then the DHCPv4 server will also respond with an IPv4 address.

This is done to stop people plugging a switch in and wondering why only one host works, or plugging a PC in with nothing in the way of a firewall in between that PC and the Internet. You don't need to mess around with DHCP options or MER if you don't want to.

Bear in mind that a large amount of FTTP installation won't appear on that site - where Openreach are accessing their own chambers and poles that don't require traffic management you won't see a permit appear, and the same for altnets using PIA. It's only for activities like digging to unblock ducts where you're likely to see things pop up.

Yes nothing came up in my part of London. Just one day they started doing work on the poles and then FTTP was available. They don’t need any permission to do work on the poles

You seem surprised? VM are terrible in so many ways.

No not at all! Just wasn't expecting the difference to be so significant! The fact I'm saving nearly half the amount of the VM contract for the same speed and hugely faster uploads is great!

It really is night and day. Just gutted I had to wait so long!

Fortunately my router has all the vlan and ipv6 and PPOE settings to accommodate the!system. Was able to get up and running in no time! Even for a noob like me

Last edited:
I'm a bit out of touch with router tech, so bear with me!

Currently on BT FTTP 900/100mb with the Smart Hub 2.

Getting these speeds fine on wired connection but my Pixel 6 Pro right next to the router won't get above 400mb down (5GHz)

Are there any go to routers to replace the Smart Hub 2 with that are better at managing the higher transfer rates?

400mb over WiFi on a phone doesn’t seem unreasonable if it’s using 40mhz channel widths. I haven’t used that BT smart hub but I doubt it has configuration options to change it. Someone else may be able to confirm.

Could you get more out of a different access point?

Sure, I can get 600 off my WiFi 6 access point (Ubiquiti U6 Pro) with 80mhz channel widths and my iPhone 13 but you’ll probably not actually notice it in the real world. On the default setting which I think was 40mhz, I was getting about 400mb.

WiFi used to be cabable of exceeding normal internet speeds in the real world but with the wide roll out of FTTP that isn’t the case anymore. If you want full one speed, its back to being hard wired.

Out of interest, what are you doing where 400mb is a problem?

What are people's experience with BT Fibre? for torrenting & gaming etc, do they throttle streaming or P2P?

I can now get 900MB with Zen (who I'm with at the moment), BT, TalkTalk & EE.

I'm currently having issues with Zen which only seem to be resolved by using a VPN. So that is putting me off going with them for the FTTP connection.

What are people's experience with BT Fibre? for torrenting & gaming etc, do they throttle streaming or P2P?

I can now get 900MB with Zen (who I'm with at the moment), BT, TalkTalk & EE.

I'm currently having issues with Zen which only seem to be resolved by using a VPN. So that is putting me off going with them for the FTTP connection.

Zero issues though I rarely torrent and don't game. I do a lot of latency sensitive stuff for work and the connection works just fine.

Zen aren't what they used to be, I was a big advocate of Zen in the past but know too many people that have had issues.

Sky seem to throttle the hell out of my connection downloading torrents/usenet, with or without a VPN. So I wouldn't say they're all the same.
First I have heard anyone mention an ISP deploying traffic shaping in years.

MSE suggest no major U.K. ISPs use traffic management anymore (may not be up to date, was published in 2020). Even Virgin don’t use it anymore and they were notorious for it back in the day.

Likewise if it’s running through a VPN the the ISP can’t tell you are downloading from a torrent, all they will see is the encrypted traffic going to a single IP. I’d suggest the issue is elsewhere.

I stand by my comment that all the big mainstream ISPs are pretty much the same these days. The main difference is the price, what ever router they bundle in and what value adds they may have. They all have rubbish reputation then it comes to support and they all re-sell the same BT product for the most part.

Last edited:
First I have heard anyone mention an ISP deploying traffic shaping in years.

MSE suggest no major U.K. ISPs use traffic management anymore (may not be up to date, was published in 2020). Even Virgin don’t use it anymore and they were notorious for it back in the day.

Likewise if it’s running through a VPN the the ISP can’t tell you are downloading from a torrent, all they will see is the encrypted traffic going to a single IP. I’d suggest the issue is elsewhere.

I stand by my comment that all the big mainstream ISPs are pretty much the same these days. The main difference is the price, what ever router they bundle in and what value adds they may have. They all have rubbish reputation then it comes to support and they all re-sell the same BT product for the most part.

I'd like to think this too. But it's a problem I have had only being with Sky. I cannot find a fix for it. Either using their own hardware or my OPNsense custom hardware it behaves the same. Download maybe 50-60GB and then the speed comes crashing down and the connection becomes barely usable. So something is going on.

The town I live in is 16k people and when I check the open reach site it seems no plans at all to roll out fttp......any ideas what general timeline is for whole country? We can get virgin media 1gb, is that why open reach don't see it as priority? I'm on 35mb now and don't really want to go with virgin as expensive and don't want cable wrapped around house from entry point on road.....

The town I live in is 16k people and when I check the open reach site it seems no plans at all to roll out fttp......any ideas what general timeline is for whole country? We can get virgin media 1gb, is that why open reach don't see it as priority? I'm on 35mb now and don't really want to go with virgin as expensive and don't want cable wrapped around house from entry point on road.....

Openreach are looking to achieve 80%+ coverage for fttp by end of 2026. Doesn’t strictly answer your question but they are making fairly good progress will the rollout. It’s just a waiting game unfortunately.

Openreach are looking to achieve 80%+ coverage for fttp by end of 2026. Doesn’t strictly answer your question but they are making fairly good progress will the rollout. It’s just a waiting game unfortunately.

Cheers for that....I'm a pretty big town so would hope we are included just tricky with no indication....

My Aquiss migration completed over the hols, knocked on average about 25ms (sometimes more, sometimes a bit less) off my MW2 pings, and for nearly £50 a month less than I was paying for Zen. Zero issues apart from the fact the change over happened at 2am just as I was getting into bed, and I had to get up again and swap the credentials over in my router when it was freezing cold. :p

I was surprised just how much of a difference it made, couldn't be happier.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom