BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
It was on the wall, even BT bod was surprise how hot it was.

I had mine wall mounted in a cupboard, which worked fine for months until it started to get a tad warm outside, as it got later in the day and warmer in my office I would drop from 70mbps to not being able to consistently get 3-4mbps and with packet loss. Bizarrely, it didn't effect the upload in the slightest.

Anyway, I'd cabled it up all neatly and I had to break all the cable ties and now it's just sitting on my desk with the wires hanging out of the cupboard :( Stupid thing!

Soldato
Only the download was affected at first it dropped from 50Mb to 4Mb to 6Mb, then later later it would cut out, then 20 minutes after it had cool down it would restart for a while, then repeat process.

Soldato
Just logged onto my BT account to check my bill and see if there were any offers and nearly had a heart attack. £227 !!!
Quickly scanned my bill and there are a whole load of charges and bumf. Looks like when I transferred for FREE from BT Infinity to BT Infinity 2 they have screwed my account billing.
Seriously anyone who has had their FREE BT Infinity 2 upgrade check your account now to make sure you don't get a nasty surprise !
Just waiting for an online agent to sort it out.

Have to laugh, checked again they have charged me £225 for the "free" upgrade, and my call usage this month, £1.60. Eeejjits.

*** Update after a lengthy online chat (which the transcript has been saved) I have to wait 5 days now for confirmation that the bill is going to be rectified.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
1cafcfaec4c704fe652fa3189be36729-22-05-2012.png

My pings don't seem as rock solid as they used to be.

Soldato

@Valo

I had my master socket moved from the main hallway (downstairs ... no surprise there) to upstairs. In my case as I had a socket in the same room as the PC it meant nothing more than changing a face plate and swapping a couple of wires on the ring circuit.

I did attempt to get Infinity installed once before last year. However when the Openreach engineer attempted the install I was told it wasn't possible to relocate the master socket to the room I use as an office where I wanted infinity installed. Instead he told me the only option I had was to run a massive extension from the hall cupboard to my study around six door frames which isn't an option.

This lead to a botched migration and I had to re-order my ADSL service from O2 as they couldn't undo my proposed migration to BT and I was without service for about a week.......something I don't want to repeat.

Is it possible somehow to get a preinstall check to avoid a repeat of the above again?

Soldato
where is the nearest power socket to the fuse cupboard can you not run the cable from the master socket to there and use wireless ?

The white rectangle box I think is basically the equivalent of the grey boxes fitted externally. Problem you have I guess is what I have seen a few times on here is the master socket is in the fuse cupboard not near any power sockets. I`m sure a few people with flats on here could state what they have done.

Caporegime
@Valo

Never heard of a preinstall check before (some people find it tough enough getting them to come out once) but tbh it all depends upon the BT person on the day. My folks went through exactly the same scenario as yourself and didn't want the extension ran all the way upstairs as the BT person said the cable / wires were not up to the job. The outcome was the modem and router installed downstairs and they connected via wifi until homeplugs were fitted. Now a few months later I myself signed up to Infinity and was concerned about the same problem, BT guy calls and fits the router and modem upstairs in pc room. I asked did he do this because I'd had the master socket moved (it was moved by Orange my old ISP, years ago) he said no he would have done it anyway if thats what I'd wanted, also asked about the 'not up to the job cable / wires' his response was they are fine, no problem at all. So I'd say it all depends upon who you get mate. Good luck anyways.

Soldato
where is the nearest power socket to the fuse cupboard can you not run the cable from the master socket to there and use wireless ?

The white rectangle box I think is basically the equivalent of the grey boxes fitted externally. Problem you have I guess is what I have seen a few times on here is the master socket is in the fuse cupboard not near any power sockets. I`m sure a few people with flats on here could state what they have done.

I don't have any power sockets in the fuse cupboard at all or even access to one close by. I'd prefer not to use wireless or homeplugs as I have a lot of devices and prefer the speed of a physical cable connected to my GB network.

@Valo

Never heard of a preinstall check before (some people find it tough enough getting them to come out once) but tbh it all depends upon the BT person on the day. My folks went through exactly the same scenario as yourself and didn't want the extension ran all the way upstairs as the BT person said the cable / wires were not up to the job. The outcome was the modem and router installed downstairs and they connected via wifi until homeplugs were fitted. Now a few months later I myself signed up to Infinity and was concerned about the same problem, BT guy calls and fits the router and modem upstairs in pc room. I asked did he do this because I'd had the master socket moved (it was moved by Orange my old ISP, years ago) he said no he would have done it anyway if thats what I'd wanted, also asked about the 'not up to the job cable / wires' his response was they are fine, no problem at all. So I'd say it all depends upon who you get mate. Good luck anyways.

Doesn't sound particularly hopeful :( I think my plan may need to be to try and find a good local independent ex BT engineer/electrician/network engineer to try and make sense of the installation by the builders who built my flat before I do anything, as it stands I still have a few months left on my O2 Home Phone and Broadband contract before I can move anyway.

Caporegime
^^ Cheers mrbell1984 for the heads up on this. My bill is out tomorrow.

Bill not due till June, so expect to hear something within next few days. Nothing extra showing to date.

Last edited:
Associate
So its been a while since my last update.

Download speed seems to be stable at around 70mbps however the upload still not surpassing 12mbps.

Would the 10mbps im loosing (20mbps advertised) have a major impact on my general browsing life??

Back
Top Bottom