BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Traceroutes would work sometimes and fail others,
Changed to OpenDNS and seems to be running ok so far.

I just dont understand how BT can have such bad DNS servers? It's one of the most important things to have working..

Pfft, BT DNS servers are rubbish, every now and then some sites refused to load after a long while even though I was still online on a few things. Changed to Google DNS and it also made the heavier sites feel snappier.

Had problems with the O2 DNS server as well where it tries to load the page too fast it doesn't load it at all. ISP DNS servers :rolleyes:.

Associate
Just about to order infinity for the new house and have a question. there is only 1 phone plate downstairs and I would like the pc upstairs would the bt guy install a new phone line upstairs or would this mean extra cost?

Soldato
As a current VM customer, i can guarantee you will have issues with some web sites not working at times, there routing DNS are shocking.

I would be surprised if BT are worse

Associate
Just about to order infinity for the new house and have a question. there is only 1 phone plate downstairs and I would like the pc upstairs would the bt guy install a new phone line upstairs or would this mean extra cost?

No extra cost involve mate, you can ask BT engineer the move your master socket to any room you want.

Soldato
I have been having problems with Paypal and Google Images.

My Mum uses ebay and she's having trouble paying for items with Paypal. When ebay asks her to sign in to paypal is just doesn't load the page. This happens on other devices such as my Macbook Pro.

I have been experiencing a problem with google images and that sometimes it won't load all the images.

Anyone got any ideas before I go through the hassle that is BT?

Soldato
Well - the main reason I would want to switch from Virgin to Infinity is for faster upload. Yet, I see here that BT are significantly under delivering. Max 20, deliver 8. That isn't good. I'd stay with Virgin if that is all I will get. Of course, I'm yet to find out if I'll get the claimed 6Mb from Virgin, they haven't doubled me yet. So right at the moment I guess it is BT 7 vs Virgin 3 !!

Soldato
I have been having problems with Paypal and Google Images.

My Mum uses ebay and she's having trouble paying for items with Paypal. When ebay asks her to sign in to paypal is just doesn't load the page. This happens on other devices such as my Macbook Pro.

I have been experiencing a problem with google images and that sometimes it won't load all the images.

Anyone got any ideas before I go through the hassle that is BT?

Try a different DNS server?

Caporegime
Have BT fixed / changed something lately? My prediction thing said a max of 64Mb down, and that's what I've been getting until now:

Soldato
Right, I've just had Inifinity 2 installed - literally the guy left the house 30 minutes ago.
I've of course had to run a speed test - well it's the done thing isn't it?

2057762848.png

This is more or less exactly what I was told to expect when I ordered from BT and of course there is the 5 day training period where it might get better.
My installation time was supposed to be 8:00am - 1:00pm and then eventually rolled in at 3:30pm, but that was the only hassle I had.

Back
Top Bottom