BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Im sure its been mentioned in here but the thread is very long :)

Im getting Infinity installed tomorrow and im not sure if i can have the router put upstairs in the spare phone socket until i speak to the engineer.

So i might have to go wireless, what is the wireless signal like on the Infinity router, as my current VM superhub is shocking, so im hoping the Home hub is better?

Also is Option 2 truly unlimited or is there a GB amount that caps you download speed when hit?

I know P2P is traffic managed, im just not sure if option 2 gives you unlimited download speeds as much as you want regardless of using in peak times?

Last edited:
Soldato
Im sure its been mentioned in here but the thread is very long :)

Im getting Infinity installed tomorrow and im not sure if i can have the router put upstairs in the spare phone socket until i speak to the engineer.

So i might have to go wireless, what is the wireless signal like on the Infinity router, as my current VM superhub is shocking, so im hoping the Home hub is better?

Also is Option 2 truly unlimited or is there a GB amount that caps you download speed when hit?

From what the engineer told me the VDSL modem needs to be plugged into the master socket. When he arrived at mine today he took the front off all three of our wall sockets and after a little tinkering my master socket was no longer the one by the front door, rather the one in our upstairs bedroom/study.
As for wireless with the Hub - so far, with only very lmited experimentation it was been OK, no real issues.
I am however swapping out the Home Hub for an ASUS RT-N56U.

Soldato
Is there a fair usage cap? I'm thinking of switching from Sky broadband to BT Fibre as it's available in my street...

I don't mind being traffic managed like Virgin did, but if there's some hidden cap at which they disconnect you I'd need to know.

Soldato
Looks like I'll switch, I can find £75 cashback for it.

Edit : Switched from Sky... £75 cashback and a £25 voucher for doing it.. tied up for 18 months, comes out to 30.75 a month paying for line rental a year in advance. They think 68meg up and 20meg down.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like I'll switch, I can find £75 cashback for it.

Edit : Switched from Sky... £75 cashback and a £25 voucher for doing it.. tied up for 18 months, comes out to 30.75 a month paying for line rental a year in advance. They think 68meg up and 20meg down.

Congrats welcome to the club :)

You'll easily get 68meg down albeit any issues that might pop up; the line speed estimator from BT is pretty damn accurate and most users have achieved these speeds and beyond.

As for p2p throttling, I'm sure it depends on the amount of traffic/congestion in your area on Infinity as it's been over a month and I've still not been capped on p2p speeds at all. Definitely truly unlimited though so no worries about setting those youtube videos to 1080p as default now eh :D

Here's what my connection has been like since I upgraded from 40mb to 80mb, was quoted to get 72meg:

2059016259.png

Associate
Congrats welcome to the club :)

As for p2p throttling, I'm sure it depends on the amount of traffic/congestion in your area on Infinity as it's been over a month and I've still not been capped on p2p speeds at all. Definitely truly unlimited though so no worries about setting those youtube videos to 1080p as default now eh :D

Here's what my connection has been like since I upgraded from 40mb to 80mb, was quoted to get 72meg:

2059016259.png

Are you sure? Im pretty sure that they dont currently cap your download speed, but they do cap your upload speed 24/7 to a max of 120kbps!

Soldato
My only concern now is if I need to be in for the install to happen, or if I can get my retired parents to sit in.

Frankly I'd be happier doing a self install than an engineer visiting, but that wasn't possible with Virgin when I asked, so probably not with BT - plus I don't want to touch anything in case it voids the cashback.

Soldato
Just had my Infinity installed and my speeds are all over the place.

The engineer used his machine and said it was synced at:

80mb DL

20mb UL

Im getting near enough the 20mb UL but my download speed is all over the place and is between 20-40 mb at present, is it true it might take 10 days for the line to stabilize to get the 80mb dl?

My computer confirms i have a 72mb dl?

Im also using a rubbish wifi dongle, but ive just ordered a new dongle, not sure if this makes a difference

Soldato
No not possible for wired.

When downloading my speeds start off around 30mb then drop to nearly nothing then i cant access any web pages for around 1 minute, not sure if the dongle is at fault.

Im going to try a PCI wireless card and see what happens

Soldato
Im now getting

Guess the line is just stabilizing, just now was barely hitting 20mb, then bang full speed ?

EDIT:

Steam is now only dl at 800-1mb now, but speed test is showing 30-40mb?

Is this inconsistency normal for the first few hrs of having Infinity installed?

I mean earlier i was dl at 82mb and now im at under 1mb when dl from steam?

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you sure? Im pretty sure that they dont currently cap your download speed, but they do cap your upload speed 24/7 to a max of 120kbps!

They seem to be capping my upload to 140kbps most of the time, sometimes even 240kbps. There was the odd day however where the cap seemed to magically disappeared and shot to the full 1000kbps... Only to return to normal in the next couple of hours :rolleyes:. Guess it depends on the amount of people on the cabinet?

I do notice they cap download speeds as well, but I have only seen this once during an evening, past 8pm and before 12am.

Permabanned
There's an easy way to bypass p2p throttling using Deluge torrent client and changing a few settings. I can download at 9mb/s peak time and upload at 2mb/s.

Back
Top Bottom