BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Just ordered mine, 17th July date! Was tempted by the BT vision (on demand junk handy for the little one) but ill probably hold on that till they release a HD version, if ever.

Soldato
Engineer had connected the ring wire, removed that and the phone is working properly again. :) Still the same speed though. Oh well...

Soldato
Ah well, its not the end of the world if i have to use wireless, i know the wireless wont be half as bad on the Home hub as it is on the superhub :D

I take it using the second socket in the bedroom would give me a reduced speed as its not the master socket?

I'm actually impressed with the wireless, I'm finding the signal a fair stronger than the O2 wireless box IV.

As for the socket, they usually fit an ADSL filter faceplate on the main socket. This means the filter is part of the master socket, meaning the router must be connected to this one. All other extension sockets will be purely for phones. However, this means you won't need a filter for every phone in the house as well ;).

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm looking for the extra upload speed. Still, even 9Mb is better than Virgin's 6Mb (assuming I ever get doubled from the existing 3Mb !!)

Soldato
Regarding upload speed, will this improve watching youtube and streams etc as on VM the buffering is awful?

Or is the purely just download for watching things that buffer etc?.

Soz if this is silly question :)

Last edited:
Soldato
So... after a few weeks of Infinity...

Day of install:
2010126584.png

After it stabilizes:
2015642700.png

And now suddenly, IP profile has been set from Fast to Interleaving, doubling my ping:
2045883205.png

:(

Soldato
Anyone else have no internet connection? Checked the BT site and broadband down in multiple areas. Thank god I have my mobile...

EDIT: Internet is back up. They also randomly decided to put me back on the Fast profile too:

2046647141.png

Seems Fast/Interleaving does affect my download speeds...

Last edited:
Soldato
Had my Infinity installed today, however my upload speed seems to be maxing out at 8mbit when the Engineer said that his machine reported that the line is good for 20mbit.

Any ideas how to improve it? I believe that waiting 10 days for the line to "train" doesn't apply to FTTC.

Soldato
Had my Infinity installed today, however my upload speed seems to be maxing out at 8mbit when the Engineer said that his machine reported that the line is good for 20mbit.

Virgin aren't so bad after all it seems. BT promising speeds it isn't delivering, and what are these big BT outages ? Hopefully just teething problems in both cases.

Permabanned
Does everyone get peroids, usually short, were they just cant connect to certain sites? usually its almost any site, but sometimes will just fail randomly, and if you retry it works.
Only thing i can think it would be is the DNS, as other internet activities continue as normal.

Edit: So frustrating, some sites working others not at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom