BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Well, I had something wrong overnight. Modem lights looked fine but the HH3 wouldn't connect to the 'net (this was ~2am).

In the end rebooted the HH3 with the power switch (as restarting via the web gui did nothing) and eventually it came back up and connected.

A speedtest this morning showed that the restart (or whatever) appears to have addressed my upload speed issue with it going up from 9Mbps to just under 18Mbps. Downstream seems to be working well at ~68Mbps.

Rebooting the HH3 won't have changed anything at all with this, as the sync is done via the VDSL router rather than the HH? Your initial problems might have been a result of the VDSL router re-sync'ing though.

[TW]Fox;24071091 said:
Hi chaps,

An update on this problem. I've been in touch with the moderators via the BT Community Forum and they reckon they need to send an engineer around.

They are advising me there is a £99 fee if there is a problem with my wiring or my equipment. How can I rule this out? The box and equipment were supplied and fitted by BT when they installed Infinity - if its gone wrong how is it my problem?

So, they've been.

By the time they arrived the IP Profile had risen from 12Mb to 19Mb. They said there was nothing wrong with this and left.

So, now I've got 19Mbit.

this is still slower than I used to have before - I could download at a solid 3mb/s but now I'm lucky to get 2.3mb/s. I was routinely able to beat 25mbit on sites like speedtest.net.

[TW]Fox;24096618 said:
So, they've been.

By the time they arrived the IP Profile had risen from 12Mb to 19Mb. They said there was nothing wrong with this and left.

So, now I've got 19Mbit.

this is still slower than I used to have before - I could download at a solid 3mb/s but now I'm lucky to get 2.3mb/s. I was routinely able to beat 25mbit on sites like speedtest.net.

90% of BT engineers are crap and you had a crap one.

Hi guys,

Just had Infinity 2 installed on Tuesday, the BT guy did his speed tests n what not and said the line was connected at 80/20, I'm using the wireless only, so I know I wont get the full 80meg down, but I did get download speeds of 4 -5MB/s over wireless, which is great, but...
Randomly the connection will slow right down to 80 - 300KB/s, across all websites and applications, on all devices. This happens roughly 4 times a day, maybe more, and can last over an hour. I haven't tried resetting the modem, but have reset the HH3 a few times.

Would could be causing this, should I try resetting the modem?
Can I use the BT Speed test to check my IP profile?

Hi guys,

Just had Infinity 2 installed on Tuesday, the BT guy did his speed tests n what not and said the line was connected at 80/20, I'm using the wireless only, so I know I wont get the full 80meg down, but I did get download speeds of 4 -5MB/s over wireless, which is great, but...
Randomly the connection will slow right down to 80 - 300KB/s, across all websites and applications, on all devices. This happens roughly 4 times a day, maybe more, and can last over an hour. I haven't tried resetting the modem, but have reset the HH3 a few times.

Would could be causing this, should I try resetting the modem?
Can I use the BT Speed test to check my IP profile?

Yes the BT test will show you the current profile, it sounds to me more like an issue with your wireless connection. What is it like using Cat5e?

Do you have a link to the BT test which shows those details? A google only brings up the basic BT speed test, not the older one which I've used before.

I've just tried powering the modem and the HH3 off for 5 mins, then powering back on and using a LAN cable instead of wireless - I have the exact same issue :/ I got a new IP address, but thats it. I'm still downloading at 80 - 300KB/s, from multiple websites, and speed tests arent going over this mark either.

I've just spoke to BT about this, they ran some checks from their side on the line, and apparently there's a network issue - it's been booked out and an engineer will be calling me back within 48 hours to discuss/attend.

So, guess there's a fault with the line or something! xD

Got a reply on our progress:

Although we are experiencing problems deploying your cabinet due to blockages in the underground duct network, we will hopefully still enable your cabinet for the end of June ’13.

Nothing to do now but keep fingers crossed.

I got the Infinity 2 service last week. Seems very fast, my Laptop wifi and HH3 can't keep up most of the time. Wired connections max it out though.

Couple of questions:

1) Anyone using a Billion 7800n in place of the HH3 and care to compare wifi levels? I am only thinking of using the HH3 for access to Bt-FON and so I can use their wifi. My router is better, I think.

2) Is there anything I can really tweak while I keep the HH3, or is there something on the VDSL modem? Just wondering if the upload can be improved.

Currently I get:

Fibre.jpg

rp2000

I believe the standard BT FTTC VDSL modem has always on upstream QoS (unless you hack it to access to the management page and disable it) that prevents any one application including speed tests using more than 90% of the upload.

Hmm looks like "IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps" is now the highest profile speed? mine used to sync way higher (actual throughput never exceeded 80mbit) and IP profile was in the 80s but its been at 77.44 every time I've checked since about the time they rolled out the "fully unlimited" version.

Last edited:
If you want a better router then go for the RT-N56U like most here have.

You don't need a HH3 to be able to use BT-Fon, but if you replace your router or turn the FON off people can't use yours.

I believe the standard BT FTTC VDSL modem has always on upstream QoS (unless you hack it to access to the management page and disable it) that prevents any one application including speed tests using more than 90% of the upload.

Hmm looks like "IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps" is now the highest profile speed? mine used to sync way higher (actual throughput never exceeded 80mbit) and IP profile was in the 80s but its been at 77.44 every time I've checked since about the time they rolled out the "fully unlimited" version.

Do BT have any way to know if I hack the VDSL modem. Also, is there any comeback if it ever has to be returned, swapped etc? I am conscious that I don't own that modem.
If you want a better router then go for the RT-N56U like most here have.

You don't need a HH3 to be able to use BT-Fon, but if you replace your router or turn the FON off people can't use yours.

Hi, I am new to all of this. I was under the impression that you have to enable your own FON to be able to use other people's FON and public BT wifi spots. Is this not correct?

Apart from being dual band (not really useful for me) does the ASUS really offer much that the Billion doesn't? I would like to use the Billion as I am used to it an find it's interface and options are familiar to me as I used it with my ADSL2 service prior to fibre.

rp2000

I see. It's actually Openzone and public wifi an roaming partners I want to use, not really residential FON routers!!!

Anyone not using HH3 still able to connect to proper Openzone hotspots, or roamed to wifi partners in Europe?

rp2000

Back
Top Bottom