BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

1) Anyone using a Billion 7800n in place of the HH3 and care to compare wifi levels? I am only thinking of using the HH3 for access to Bt-FON and so I can use their wifi. My router is better, I think.

2) Is there anything I can really tweak while I keep the HH3, or is there something on the VDSL modem? Just wondering if the upload can be improved.

rp2000

1) I can help make a comparison when I get Fibre in about a month's time.

2) You could try flashing the Openreach VDSL modem with custom firmware if you're interested in looking at the logs and accessing Telnet on it.

Install date tomorrow, quite excited now :D
Predicted speed is 42/6, but getting a 40/10 package so no extra speed yet if it's a low estimate. Going to be a nice change from
2650258090.png

though!

Got it installed today at last!!

How much do speeds fluctuate durring the first few weeks while the speeds settle? As I was estimated 71/20 but its currently sitting at 42.5/8.5, it must have gone higher earlier as steam was downloading a game at 8.2mb/s.

I also still need to get it tested via ethernet. I don't think wireless 'G' on this old macbook is helping matters.

Edit: My pings haven't improved much either, from ~50ms down to ~40ms.

Edit: Bit better just now, its changing by ~30mb/s by the hour so I'll just have to let it settle for 10 days:

2652284598.png

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Thinking of switching over from VM due to new policies.

Please could someone link me or tell me the current fair usage policy for the Infinity Unlimited package? I am primarily after a unrestricted upload feature.

Cheers

Got it installed today at last!!

How much do speeds fluctuate durring the first few weeks while the speeds settle? As I was estimated 71/20 but its currently sitting at 42.5/8.5, it must have gone higher earlier as steam was downloading a game at 8.2mb/s.

I also still need to get it tested via ethernet. I don't think wireless 'G' on this old macbook is helping matters.

Edit: My pings haven't improved much either, from ~50ms down to ~40ms.

Edit: Bit better just now, its changing by ~30mb/s by the hour so I'll just have to let it settle for 10 days:

2652284598.png

When its first connected you might be in interleaved mode - after a few days if the line is stable it will probably drop back to fastpath and lower pings.

I find I don't get the best results in speedtest - during peak time often drops down to about 50Mbit/s in speedtests yet downloads especially steam are a constant 9.25MByte/s (around 74Mbit).

I know last time I looked you couldn't get static IP addresses on BT Infinity Residential, whereas it's available for £5 on BT Infinity Business, but does anyone know if it has changed yet?

Just had BT Infinity installed have the 56Mbps option and only seem to be getting 13Mbps?

Am downloading at around 2Mbs, used to download at around 800Kbps... is this normal for the first few hours/days?

It should work at more-or-less its full speed from day one. If its that slow you've got a problem.

Are you using a wired connection? You could just have a really bad wireless or Powerline connection.

Back
Top Bottom