BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

With that 12.68 Mbps IP profile there's definitely something wrong.

What's the estimated speed for your line?

What steps have you taken to fix the problem?

Hi chaps,

An update on this problem. I've been in touch with the moderators via the BT Community Forum and they reckon they need to send an engineer around.

They are advising me there is a £99 fee if there is a problem with my wiring or my equipment. How can I rule this out? The box and equipment were supplied and fitted by BT when they installed Infinity - if its gone wrong how is it my problem?

[TW]Fox;24071091 said:
They are advising me there is a £99 fee if there is a problem with my wiring or my equipment. How can I rule this out? The box and equipment were supplied and fitted by BT when they installed Infinity - if its gone wrong how is it my problem?

Ah the good old technicality BT use to help pay their engineer's wages. Technically, it's always going to be "your" wiring and "your" equipment. Belongs to you, they just installed it. This contrasts with Virgin Media, as any equipment remains their property for the duration of your contract and they fix it or replace it with no quibbles.

If you're certain nothing has changed within your premises, tell them this, and ask them if they can start troubleshooting from their end.

I don't have any personal experience specifically with Infinity, but is there a master socket? You could plug your modem directly into the wall socket to rule out dodgy wiring.

Last edited:
Quidco problems

I ordered BT infinity last Sunday through quidco (for £110) and it been almost a week and it hasn't tracked yet. Should I wait a little bit longer or try manually claim it? Has anyone used quidco before if so how long does it normally take to track ?

Wonder if anyone could answer this for me. I'm using wired to the HH3 to the PS3 and the max I get (after doing the net set up through PS3) is 15mb down. Is this due to the HH3 not having a gigabit socket or is the PS3 just terrible at high speeds?

BTW, I'm getting 73/17 on PC speedtest and downloads.

Couple of easy questions for any Infinity users:

How long did the initial installation take?

What is involved in the installation?

I ask as I'm getting a carpet fitted the same day the BT engineer is coming round to install it, so I can let the guys know that are fitting the carpet about any possible delays.

After being told by Openreach that my cabinet wasn't financially viable to upgrade, they seem to have had a change of heart. A lovely new FTTC cabinet has appeared and within a day the openreach engineers were there connecting it up to the existing cabinet. Now I just have to wait for BT to say I can order it!

The plot thickens with my lack of FTTC. After posting the above, I emailed openreach again to see if I could get confirmation of this new cabinet being for me, but they came back and said that its not!

So now I'm confused. Theres a new FTTC cabinet within 20m of my current one, with no other standard cabinet in sight, yet Openreach are saying that I'm still not getting FTTC enabled :confused:

Just after posting the above, I thought I would check the BT website to see if the availability checker said anything different and it appears its been updated. It now says

Fibre optic broadband is estimated to be in your area between October 2013 and March 2014

What I find wierd is how does it take 6 months to connect a new cabinet to an exchange that is already providing fibre to most of my area. I would understand if they had just fitted the cabinet and then were waiting for the openreach engineers to come back and do the installation, but they've already been and done it.

How long did the initial installation take?
About 20 mins..

What is involved in the installation?
They fit a new face plate, test the line, fit the kit, test that the net is working, leave.

When they test the net is working do they simply connect directly to the modem or do they insist on testing via the router supplied by the ISP(in my case Plusnet)? I assume they have their own laptop to test the net and won't expect to check whether the homeowner's PCs are OK?

They'll need to connect a router of some sort.

I've had a few installs done. Sometimes I've used the supplied router, and sometimes my own. When it has been my own router I've done the router config for them.

With the last install we just connected my phone to the wireless and did a quick speed test.

Well, I had something wrong overnight. Modem lights looked fine but the HH3 wouldn't connect to the 'net (this was ~2am).

In the end rebooted the HH3 with the power switch (as restarting via the web gui did nothing) and eventually it came back up and connected.

A speedtest this morning showed that the restart (or whatever) appears to have addressed my upload speed issue with it going up from 9Mbps to just under 18Mbps. Downstream seems to be working well at ~68Mbps.

Back
Top Bottom