BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Well I've sussed out the cause of my wireless problem, and I'm booting myself in the bracket for not spotting it earlier. Occam's razor applies...

So what's one of the biggest sources of wireless problems... giant metal things perhaps? Like the giant metal thing I'm sitting at right now that houses both of my computers... incidentally, if you need me I'll be browsing the "Desk and Room" gallery thread. Or whatever it's been renamed to today. :D (Diagnosed my moving the Mac Mini off the metal shelf it was sitting on whilst Speedtesting... watched it jump from 2mb to 20mb almost instantly.)

I don't see why homeplugs would affect your IP profile as presumably you are only using them 'downstream' i.e. between your router and your home network, after the point at which the internet connection is terminated. Unless they are causing interference somehow?

No I don't either, but then again Homeplugs can be a law unto themselves. For example... A friend of mine had a knock on the door from the TV Licensing people who said someone down the road (like 100ft) had complained that they had been experiencing poor reception on their TV and radio over the recent weeks. On inspection it turned out the source of the interference was coming from my mates house... yup, after he'd installed homeplugs. An extreme example, but if it can turn a house into a giant RF noise source then there's every possibility it could affect an adjacent device. That said, point in case I think you're right in saying there's less of a likelihood it's dropping my IP profile by causing noise at our end. They've been unplugged for 24 hours now, and I've been periodically checking to see if DLM has kicked in and nothing yet...

How about PlusNet? £19.99/month for unlimited 80/20, plus the cost of the line rental (which I can't remember). I'm currently with them for ADSL service (having moved from O2) and it's the best ADSL service I've had in years - equal to O2 in support, faster than O2 in throughput; I actually hit the 8Mb/s limit of my line with every transfer.

My cabinet is slated to go live around September and I'll definitely be moving to FTTC, and all things being equal I'll be sticking with PlusNet for years to come. :)

I was with Plusnet before we moved to this house, and I can't fault their service. I don't think they were available on our exchange when I signed up for BT, but I'll definitely consider them now as I've spotted several people singing their praises of late. Cheers. :)

In my room I have the BT Master socket on the far side of the room, I also have a wired phone extension which wired into the master socket. Will BT put the different face plate on my second socket so that I can have the modem and router on the side of the room where my desk is?

In my room I have the BT Master socket on the far side of the room, I also have a wired phone extension which wired into the master socket. Will BT put the different face plate on my second socket so that I can have the modem and router on the side of the room where my desk is?

No, it has to go on the master socket but they should move the master socket or install a data extension if you ask.

Placed my order last week and they have already messed up. They said the Mac code was not accepted even though they verbally confirmed it on the phone. I have spent over 35 minutes this morning and they have had to create a new order. What they have done wrong is i asked to pay the yearly line rental in advance which came to £177 and they have not taken this into the order confirmation email. Is there any way to change this. I am extremely frustrated and may cancel this even before it has begun !!

Placed my order last week and they have already messed up. They said the Mac code was not accepted even though they verbally confirmed it on the phone. I have spent over 35 minutes this morning and they have had to create a new order. What they have done wrong is i asked to pay the yearly line rental in advance which came to £177 and they have not taken this into the order confirmation email. Is there any way to change this. I am extremely frustrated and may cancel this even before it has begun !!

We you think thats bad if you have any Technical issues BT India is much worse. Advice from a person that is just moving from them i would say drop and roll. Customer service is this companies short coming. If you do decied to cancel you may find they tell you that you can't as your in a contract. PS if they have taken £177 out of your account just phone up your bank and get this back through the direct debit mandate the bank will get back any funds that have been taken in error. If your having this much trouble ask yourself do you think it will get better?

We you think thats bad if you have any Technical issues BT India is much worse. Advice from a person that is just moving from them i would say drop and roll. Customer service is this companies short coming. If you do decied to cancel you may find they tell you that you can't as your in a contract. PS if they have taken £177 out of your account just phone up your bank and get this back through the direct debit mandate the bank will get back any funds that have been taken in error. If your having this much trouble ask yourself do you think it will get better?

agreed :D sad thing is i am still in a queue to try and cancel :D i will stick with my 16Mb 02 until i am forced to move to Sky..

Well the BT Openreach engineer turned up early doors this morning, and he's not long left. Sadly he wasn't able to resolve the speed drop I've seen in recent weeks, but I think we were able to pinpoint where the problem is.

Tracing back from the Openreach socket where the modem is connected, he ended up replacing everything back to the distribution point in the ground box outside the house. So that's the modem, the socket, the extension to the master internal and the cable from the internal to the external connection. Doing line tests along the way with every change.

Long story short there's a voltage drop from 68v outside to 51 at the external socket on the front of the house, meaning the fault is in the 15ft armoured cable run to the house. That equates to a 4db drop, which he says isn't enough for BT contractors to come out and replace the cable.

So, we know what it is but it looks like I'm SOL for getting it fixed. My once 46/16 connection is now 28/10 and there's nothing I can do except to tell BT I'm not paying for Infinity 2, which should be an interesting discussion as I'm 12 months into the 18 month initial contract...

Pretty frustrating all in all, but at least I know what the problem is. Anyone had similar with BT, any sage words of advice?

Yep i refused to pay when i learned my line could not achive the estimated speeds. You would need to speak to cancellations only they can give deals but be prepaired for battles with the indian as they won't want to transfer your call, do not except the charges just get abrupt to get transfered back to UK cancellations tell them the terms of you contract state your estimated speed is X and your line isn't capable of that so under The Sales Of Goods Act 1979 you are not getting the services specified!

Before that do an estimate on BT Wholesale to see if the have adjusted your speed as thats what they have been doing. PS read up sales of goods act

Sigh, so that's exactly the conversation I didn't want to have. Speaking to a mate who works in another part of the country, he's suggested that I wait a week and then try and get a Boost engineer out to take a look.

Ultimately they're all going to come to the same conclusion that the cable is dug in, not ducted and thusly needs the path digging up to resolve. Which they won't do because the numbers don't add up sufficiently to warrant the work. Nuts.

Cheers for the pointers, I'm going to have a read and see what I can find.

Edit - just found my original order email:

Your download speed should be: 57.7Mb
Your upload speed should be: 20Mb

Nope. :(

Last edited:
Cancelled

Spoke to a nice lady in the UK who cancelled yesterday the infinity broadband only and not the BT phone. I was told to wait 48 hours before it is seen to be visible on mybt.com..

I will feel a great sense of great relief when this is done :)

Never thought that sticking to O2 would bring so much happiness :D

agreed :D sad thing is i am still in a queue to try and cancel :D i will stick with my 16Mb 02 until i am forced to move to Sky..

Back
Top Bottom