BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
Sigh, so that's exactly the conversation I didn't want to have. Speaking to a mate who works in another part of the country, he's suggested that I wait a week and then try and get a Boost engineer out to take a look.

Ultimately they're all going to come to the same conclusion that the cable is dug in, not ducted and thusly needs the path digging up to resolve. Which they won't do because the numbers don't add up sufficiently to warrant the work. Nuts.

Cheers for the pointers, I'm going to have a read and see what I can find.

Edit - just found my original order email:

Nope. :(

A boost engineer their is no such thing and thats the type of stuff that made me leave. Randal i think im going to upset you now!? You need to go on BT Wholesales website to see if they have changed your speed estimate from the year before thats what they have been doing, lowering estimates so no intervention is needed if your speed is in line with your new estimate.

PS not all estimates have been change. IMO i think they have lowered it to stop customers complaining about speed because the cables are not upto the job as they have limited twists are bundled together in some places joined without shielding ect. And even though you had an estimate of 57.7 if they have changed it they will be working on the new estimate if they have changed yours. Just argue the fact at point of sale it was 57.7 and that forms part of your contract the new speed estimate is not part of your contract as the speed above was expressed as what you would get. Tell them you expect to be notified with any reduction or change in service as they agreed in contract to provide the service stated.

You may have to go through with any threat to cancel. I did last year i said i would rather go back to ADSL as it was cheaper and i didn't care. So they asked me how much is the ADSL i told them it was £15 then they said i could have my infinity 2 package for £17.50 and they would put me on a 12 month contract, so i took the deal but this year i had enough and left. You have got a fight on your hands. Good Luck

Associate
Spoke to a nice lady in the UK who cancelled yesterday the infinity broadband only and not the BT phone. I was told to wait 48 hours before it is seen to be visible on mybt.com..

I will feel a great sense of great relief when this is done :)

Never thought that sticking to O2 would bring so much happiness :D

Don't count those chickens i was told the same when i rang back up they didn't have a clue what i was talking about. Log names and times and at least make a call twice to make sure a cancellation was entered on the system be warned!

A boost engineer their is no such thing and thats the type of stuff that made me leave. Randal i think im going to upset you now!? You need to go on BT Wholesales website to see if they have changed your speed estimate from the year before thats what they have been doing, lowering estimates so no intervention is needed if your speed is in line with your new estimate.

PS not all estimates have been change. IMO i think they have lowered it to stop customers complaining about speed because the cables are not upto the job as they have limited twists are bundled together in some places joined without shielding ect. And even though you had an estimate of 57.7 if they have changed it they will be working on the new estimate if they have changed yours. Just argue the fact at point of sale it was 57.7 and that forms part of your contract the new speed estimate is not part of your contract as the speed above was expressed as what you would get. Tell them you expect to be notified with any reduction or change in service as they agreed in contract to provide the service stated.

You may have to go through with any threat to cancel. I did last year i said i would rather go back to ADSL as it was cheaper and i didn't care. So they asked me how much is the ADSL i told them it was £15 then they said i could have my infinity 2 package for £17.50 and they would put me on a 12 month contract, so i took the deal but this year i had enough and left. You have got a fight on your hands. Good Luck

OK mate, thanks for the pointers. I'm just on hold now as it happens, I've got a cup of tea in front of me and my game face is on. :) Keep you posted.

Edit - Ah the good old get out of jail free card. Apparently the engineer has reset the line profile, and it's under 24-48 hour monitoring... riiiight. Engineer said that wouldn't make a jot of difference, because the voltage was the issue. However, I'll play the game for now. It's all ammunition, noted conversations and outcomes etc so we'll see what happens in 2 days... (heh).

Last edited:
Associate
OK mate, thanks for the pointers. I'm just on hold now as it happens, I've got a cup of tea in front of me and my game face is on. :) Keep you posted.

Edit - Ah the good old get out of jail free card. Apparently the engineer has reset the line profile, and it's under 24-48 hour monitoring... riiiight. Engineer said that wouldn't make a jot of difference, because the voltage was the issue. However, I'll play the game for now. It's all ammunition, noted conversations and outcomes etc so we'll see what happens in 2 days... (heh).

Did you get an engineer out to do the rest? As BT can not rest Any fibre product lol Openreach are in control of this and they require an engineer come to the premise then the engineer phones his or her magical number and speaks to someone at openreach and then its Automagically rest you can see the effect within about 30seconds.

The engineer was here this morning yep, I didn't think he bothered with it which is why I think it's a fob off. Incidentally no speed change as yet...

Like I said, playing the game. So this'll go in the diagnostic sequence of events that I'll stick in my complaint letter should/if/when I have to write it. :)

Soldato
Hi guys, I randomly stumbled upon this
96jvClZ.jpg

which given the below, is particularly exciting. How long from that date of Sept could I expect my provider (sky currently) to start offering fibre options? Do I have many months of painstaking cabinet upgrades until they get to mine, or can I start getting aroused in preparation for next month?

NZB

NZB

Associate
No point in holding your breath Devrij, the quarterly dates like that one are just placeholders and slide back 3 months once reached. Best bet is to email the NGAenquiries email with your cab number and post code, they'll give you a more accurate date and info if they have any.

Permabanned
Its been two years on the BT fiber and I can finally cancel the contract and go to another ISP that respects its customers. I am looking to move to 76mbit from my current over priced contact with bt business at £60 per month for 40mbit.

Any suggestions on the ISP? Its either sky ( :( ) or talktalk which neither i am too pleased about. Zen is not unlimited for some reason and BE is no longer since sky bought them out. I think ill probably go with sky as they meant to be unlimited.

Caporegime
Hi guys, I randomly stumbled upon this

which given the below, is particularly exciting. How long from that date of Sept could I expect my provider (sky currently) to start offering fibre options? Do I have many months of painstaking cabinet upgrades until they get to mine, or can I start getting aroused in preparation for next month?

Sky will attempt to install their backhaul to their network before the exchange goes active and then it's all down to your cabinet being activated. All you can really do is wait for the Openreach to say you can order and then check with Sky.

Permabanned
Another thing terrible about Bt is there website only does 15 month of billing history but thats less than their contract terms of 18 months. I had to do 24 months, but you just know that they won't let you go without a final "add insult to injury" attempt at extorting additional funds, they won't go down without an argument. They won't just accept that its the end of the contract. How could they, they have a quarterly billing cycle starting at different times for different products and a 15 month billing history. Trying to tell them that you have over paid, well you might as well be speaking another language.

Don
Just to add my 2p here to provide a balanced argument - my BT Infinity service has worked flawlessly for the last 2.5 years. I expense my broadband costs back to my company each month too, so I download a copy of my bill each month for my record keeping.

When I had some problems relocating my Infinity service when I moved house, I called and spoke with someone based in the UK and they sorted the issue out for me in a few hours :)

That's exactly how my experience has been with Virgin Media in the past, and they get an equal slating where ever possible.

Sadly I feel like I'm at an impasse now with BT. My only avenue in to update my fault is to speak to India, all they do is run me through the same barrage of scripted tests. I know what the fault is, I know what needs to be done to fix it but I doubt they will fix it because the voltage drop is just within tolerance (50v is a fail, I have 51v at the socket).

So my option is to hammer them to dig up the path and replace the cable which I think is a fool's errand but my favoured outcome or I drop back to Infinity 1 because my line won't support anything faster than 28mb.

I would just love to be able to speak to someone who has the ability to say "yep, we'll do it" or "nope, you'll have to speak to Customer Services." If I call 0800 800 150 I sit on hold until my ear sets on fire, if I try via IM then I get directed to a helpful yet extremely limited in capability call centre operative who runs me through a script.

I guess my other option is to sign up to the BT forums, but that's a head-banging-off-desk experience in it's own right.

Soldato
No point in holding your breath Devrij, the quarterly dates like that one are just placeholders and slide back 3 months once reached. Best bet is to email the NGAenquiries email with your cab number and post code, they'll give you a more accurate date and info if they have any.

Sky will attempt to install their backhaul to their network before the exchange goes active and then it's all down to your cabinet being activated. All you can really do is wait for the Openreach to say you can order and then check with Sky.

Thanks chap and chapesse, that's very helpful. I'll give that email a go and see what mileage I get. How would I get my cabinet number? Just walk to the end of the street and look at it? Or ring my ISP?

Soldato
just received word back from nga inquiries.

Having looked at the result for your postcode, you might have line length issues to receive Superfast Broadband, the maximum line length is around 1.8km from the serving cabinet and a line loss db of below 45db, your line is over the maximum distance and shows a line loss of 56db.

i dont understand where he is getting a line length if 1.8km. i went out to the street and looked where cabinet 11 is and i am 150 yards way, not 1.8km

Back
Top Bottom