BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
My FTTC resync'd this morning to 36/1.8 from 40/10 :(

Had it almost 3 weeks and its been solid with 100% uptime since install. I'm hoping this isn't the return of a fault which plagued my ADSL which was the reason I switched to FTTC!

Caporegime
Just get BT to replace the copper part of your line? (cabinet to house).

I have had that done before when my line used to suffer from a lot of interference and drop outs. Once they swapped the line it was perfect and my sync speeds went up.

rp2000

Soldato
I don't think it'll be quite that easy!

When I had ADSL2+ I had frequent dropouts caused by wild upstream SNR...it'd be stable for a few days then randomly it'll be an evening full of massively fluctuating upstream SNR. Multiple engineers out (over 5), never fixed, despite the last engineer 'rebuilding' a new line from my house to the cab. I couldn't really be bothered with it anymore hence ordering FTTC in the hope it was the line on the exchange side that was at fault.

Given my FTTC has been stable for around 3 weeks I'd assumed it was...but maybe not! Weird thing is though, despite a massive drop in upload sync speed, my pings are identical to what they were prior to the speed drop. Surely with an 8Mb drop in upload, interleaving would have been enabled?

Associate
Quick question guys. I previously was on O2 Broadband (18mb down) but as they have moved to Sky, I have decided to try BT Infinity 2 (I'm getting this today!)...

1. Is the BT Home Hub 4 any good or should it be replaced straight away?
2. I've got a Billion 7800N and have been extremely happy with the performance of it. If I did replace the BT Home Hub 4 with this, well, is this the best router available for BT Fibre right now or are there any better alternatives out there?

Soldato
Just get BT to replace the copper part of your line? (cabinet to house).

I have had that done before when my line used to suffer from a lot of interference and drop outs. Once they swapped the line it was perfect and my sync speeds went up.

rp2000

Hi rp2000. How was a process was this to get done. Could you briefly describe how your went about this. I am currently on an aluminium line and I get about 46/8. Not bad by any means but would love a full 80/20. However I have a feeling that BT will not want to replace with copper since I am getting a perfectly adequate speed.

Thanks

That's the boat I'm in, they don't want to know. Don't believe a word the Indian mob say, if they offer you an out on your contract and tell you to call 150 don't accept it. They are lying to get you off the phone. Fell foul of that one, thanks Manisha. :(

Register over at the BT forums, I seem to be having more success with them. Need to chase it up actually.

Caporegime
Hi rp2000. How was a process was this to get done. Could you briefly describe how your went about this. I am currently on an aluminium line and I get about 46/8. Not bad by any means but would love a full 80/20. However I have a feeling that BT will not want to replace with copper since I am getting a perfectly adequate speed.

Thanks

I had my line replaced when I had ADSL2+

I had dropouts, packet loss, fluctuating SNR. I just kept pestering my ISP and sending them graphs. They gave the standard disclaimer that if BT wholesale come out and no fault is found I would be charged for the call out.

Engineer came and found some problems with the line (I forget what they were as it was 2-3 years ago) and he said he replaced some of the copper line. Which bit he replaced, I have no idea as it was outside the house, but all my issues went away and went from a unsteady 12/0.8 to 16/1.1 which is the best I could expect being over 1km away from exchange.

With Fibre, I have no idea what graphs/stats to send them but I imagine it is similar. Not used the homehub a lot but I imagine it can provide stats. Annoyingly you want stats from the Fibre modem which may be harder.

If it helps my ISP was BE at the time and their support seem more "techhy" than other ISPs.

rp2000

Soldato
Man I wonder what's going on with my cabinet. When I first checked for Infinity I got "fiber will be available in your area in january 2012" and it's been pushed back 3 months every single time that date has been reached. Finally after it got pushed back from june 2013 to september 2013, the DSL checker now says this:

WBC FTTC Up to 26.5 Up to 5.4 -- 30-Sep-13
FTTC is currently not available on this cabinet due to following reasons:- Sorry it's taking us longer than planned to get your cabinet ready for service. Please bear with us.

I wonder if it'll ever happen :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Well today I had BT Infinity 2 installed (totally unlimited, no throttling, upto 80/20).

I ordered on 31st July (the day that the BT Wholesale Checker changed from "31st March 2014" to "Available" using my phone line for cabinet/exchange combination), and the Openreach Superfast Where & When map still shows the exchange as "Coming soon September 2013" :p. Today was the first 'engineer' install date they gave.
So I'd guess that I'm one of, if not the, first FTTC customer on this cabinet :cool:.

'Engineer' was from Kelly Communications rather than Openreach, and he didn't care that I wasn't going to take the BT supplied router out of the packaging :p. Managed to get the modem plugged into the correct power socket (one that's on the UPS), using my nice modem cable (shielded Cat5 with RJ11 ends), and plugged into the correct WAN port on my router (using [email protected] as the login) before he went to the cabinet to turn it on... so there's not going to be any need for me to fiddle afterwards causing resyncs to mess up the DLM.

BT Wholesale estimate FTTC: Up to 51.5Mbps downstream, upto up to 13.2Mbps upstream.

Speedtest yesterday on Be/O2 ADSL2+
137717184669786028429.png

Speedtest today after six hours of BT FTTC
137727933219027272413.png

Very pleased with the upload!

Last edited:
Soldato
When I'm doing the think broadband speed test my conection doesn't max out on the avg TBB download test it does on the HTTP test though does any one have any ideas why not? I'm on 40/10 when doing speed tests I get TBB 25-28mbs and HTTP 37-38mbps.

Associate
Just had BT Infinity 2 installed and all is great, had to turn modem and hub off for a few mins while I placed it on my desk and sorted out the cabling, when reconnected it the speeds dropped from 32mb to just under 29mb.

Whilst on fibre whats the best way of syning at my 32mb again?, turn off modem around 2pm in afternoon?, or just wait for the dlm to sort it out?

Thanks

NZB

NZB

Associate
Just had BT Infinity 2 installed and all is great, had to turn modem and hub off for a few mins while I placed it on my desk and sorted out the cabling, when reconnected it the speeds dropped from 32mb to just under 29mb.

Whilst on fibre whats the best way of syning at my 32mb again?, turn off modem around 2pm in afternoon?, or just wait for the dlm to sort it out?

Thanks

Don't turn it off, it's the turning it off that lowers the speed as the system thinks there's an error and adjusts it. Just leave it on and it should go back up in a couple of weeks.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
When I'm doing the think broadband speed test my conection doesn't max out on the avg TBB download test it does on the HTTP test though does any one have any ideas why not? I'm on 40/10 when doing speed tests I get TBB 25-28mbs and HTTP 37-38mbps.

The HTTP test uses 6 threads.

Soldato
What is it with BT's Infinity stability and overall speed at the moment, loads of people have reported their sync speeds dropping. Can't all be weather related Shirley?

Mine has done the same. I've had 18 months at 73/18 and now I'm stuck at 17/17!

Upload is still ok but not idea what has happened to my download sync!

Anyone know how I can get this fixed?

Man of Honour
Mine has done the same. I've had 18 months at 73/18 and now I'm stuck at 17/17!

Upload is still ok but not idea what has happened to my download sync!

Anyone know how I can get this fixed?

Yeah mine had crept up to stabalise at 74/18 and now last few days its been maxing out at 42/15 :S unfortunatly can't get the modem stats easily but theres no reason why mine shouldn't be max speed really (and usually is) as the cab is very close.

EDIT: My IP profile on the wholesale checker is max for up and down so it must be congestion in the BT network.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom