BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Well today I had BT Infinity 2 installed (totally unlimited, no throttling, upto 80/20).

I ordered on 31st July (the day that the BT Wholesale Checker changed from "31st March 2014" to "Available" using my phone line for cabinet/exchange combination), and the Openreach Superfast Where & When map still shows the exchange as "Coming soon September 2013" :p. Today was the first 'engineer' install date they gave.
So I'd guess that I'm one of, if not the, first FTTC customer on this cabinet :cool:.

'Engineer' was from Kelly Communications rather than Openreach, and he didn't care that I wasn't going to take the BT supplied router out of the packaging :p. Managed to get the modem plugged into the correct power socket (one that's on the UPS), using my nice modem cable (shielded Cat5 with RJ11 ends), and plugged into the correct WAN port on my router (using [email protected] as the login) before he went to the cabinet to turn it on... so there's not going to be any need for me to fiddle afterwards causing resyncs to mess up the DLM.

BT Wholesale estimate FTTC: Up to 51.5Mbps downstream, upto up to 13.2Mbps upstream.

Speedtest yesterday on Be/O2 ADSL2+
137717184669786028429.png

Speedtest today after six hours of BT FTTC
137727933219027272413.png

Very pleased with the upload!

Noticed that my Dynamic IP changed at 05:30 this morning, and that the TBQM is now showing a sightly faster ping than originally :).

Speedtest shows that it's slightly faster than before too :).

137744697170957210183.png

Soldato
turn modem and hub off for a few mins while I placed it on my desk and sorted out the cabling, when reconnected it the speeds dropped from 32mb to just under 29mb.

Don't reboot the modem if you can possibly afford too, the FTTC DLM is very aggressive at lowering your connection speed for stability, and takes ages to come back up. Especially so for the first three days, but true always for FTTC.

Soldato
So apparently there is cable damage which is affecting a number of BT Infinity areas.

Bristol isn't one of them, but I'm wondering if traffic has been re-routed and is causing congestion?

I checked my router and my WAN connection uptime always seems to be fairly short though.

Associate
Yay! Our cabinet has been powered up. They installed them all over town nearly 4 months ago. When I was walking the dog earlier I could hear the fans whirring for the first time. Availability checker is still showing March 2014 though. I reckon that will instantly change to show available in a week or so

Associate
Great news, BT just sent me a letter today saying infinity is now available to me. Still to decide to go with BT/Sky/Plusnet but initial estimates for my speeds are 65/20 so that'll do nicely from my 10/0.7 currently with sky.
Am I the most northern user of residential fibre in the UK? As far as i'm aware inverness is supposed to follow us soon. Exchange "Fraserburgh"

Soldato
Great news, BT just sent me a letter today saying infinity is now available to me. Still to decide to go with BT/Sky/Plusnet but initial estimates for my speeds are 65/20 so that'll do nicely from my 10/0.7 currently with sky.
Am I the most northern user of residential fibre in the UK? As far as i'm aware inverness is supposed to follow us soon. Exchange "Fraserburgh"

Dang man I'm in suburban Edinburgh and I'm still waiting

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I've gone from..

2543374569.png
to
2930402935.png

..and can't be bothered to call India, where "Gregory" will ask me to plug in the Home Hub before they can help me :rolleyes:

Last time I called they said as I was only quoted 53.3, that my current speed was "within acceptable limits" and essentially told me to go away. The fact that my drop in speed was caused by a bodged install, and that I have "lost" 20Mb falls on deaf ears.

I don't care if they quote me £2000, I'd pay for a consistent service without BS DLM :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Don
I've gone from..

2543374569.png
to
2930402935.png

..and can't be bothered to call India, where "Gregory" will ask me to plug in the Home Hub before they can help me :rolleyes:

Last time I called they said as I was only quoted 53.3, that my current speed was "within acceptable limits" and essentially told me to go away. The fact that my drop in speed was caused by a bodged install, and that I have "lost" 20Mb falls on deaf ears.

I don't care if they quote me £2000, I'd pay for a consistent service without BS DLM :(

If you'd be prepared to throw £2k at getting a consistent service, buy a lease line :p

EVH - same. 2nd engineer visit booked for Monday.

Raise the case on the BT Forums, don't bother calling India. They're beyond useless, liars and teflon-coated-shouldered morons. All with a smile and politeness of course, so that makes it OK. Goons.

Keep at the BT forums, post up as much info as you can and sooner or later one of the people with the authority/intelligence will pick it up.

Pending the 2nd visit, if I can prove it's getting worse I might get my external line replaced. If not, they're going to drop me down to Infinity 1 and we can talk discounts for the inconvenience. Taken over a month to get this far mind.

Don
£2k doesn't buy you a leased line with those speeds

You'd be surprised at the mark-up some companies make on lease lines.

In my old job I had access to the online quoting tool for Virgin Media lease lines (I did pre-sales and quotes for our sales team). Virgin were running some promotional offers and I could get a 100/100 line installed into my residential property for £2000 upfront with a monthly cost under £200/month based on a 3-year contract.

Associate
Fibre finally became available to me today. I'm going to upgrade very soon but first I have to decide how to tackle this little problem. My router isn't plugged into the master socket at the moment and I'd like to keep it where it is as my xbox, sky+hd and blu-ray player are all connected to it via ethernet. Would homeplugs be good to connect the openreach modem to the router or would it be best to feed an ethernet cable from the master socket to the router. This would mean running the cable outside so it couldn't be the standard stuff.

Back
Top Bottom