BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
It's the risk you take, but if you can prove the speed drop you've got a leg to stand on. Another good one is to dig out the original mail you got from BT promising you a certain speed, then compare it to what you're getting now. I did that, and they offered me an instant out of my contact with no fees as due to the current state of the cable they can't deliver what they promised. Nor is it cost effective for them to dig it up to replace.

I'm with adsl24 and they are smarter, not promising anything.

My speed is far below the wholesale checker if that proves anything?

Soldato
I'm with adsl24 and they are smarter, not promising anything.

BT Retail don't "promise" a speed either. From memory they outline the speed you "should" receive but of course there's T&C's on top of that.

If Randal can provide a screenshot of his original email that contains the words "promise", "guaranteed" or associated words in reference to speed then I'll ofcourse be more than happy to apologise.

Ah if only they'd used that language... alas it said "should receive" but I think they based the decision on:

Should: 57mb
Had at time of install: 46mb
Time of fault: 28mb

I think being half of what was originally mooted was sufficient enough for them to offer me an out on the contract.

Associate
As Randal i chalenged this over a year ago. I was estimated upto 45.9Mbps down but my line at the time wasn't even capable of the speed, so i argued it was miss sold as the line could only achive 31Mbps. Argued under the Sales Of Goods Act 1979 if you don't know anything about the Act it is a very good act to read up on. I was offered an out of contract no fee or £17.50 for infinity2 which i took but a year later i find the script department lacking, so have moved ISP.

Caporegime
I'm not sure how it applies to Fibre but for ADSL services there's a Voluntary Code Of Practice statement, usually reduced to VCOP. Basically an ISP is supposed to give you an Estimated Access Line Speed (EALS) which is usually a range, say 4-9.2 or 11-18. Most won't usually say as they're not obliged to but there will also be a Minimum ALS. With my company if, after all troubleshooting has been performed the speed remains below the MALS you can leave, even in contract without penalty. I believe all the major ISP's signed up to it a couple of years ago.

Soldato
Looking to get BT Infinity at my new place but I've got a bit of a problem. All of my telephone sockets are RJ11/RJ45 combo wall plates (a bit like this).

I guess there's no way to get BT Infinity installed and keep the RJ45 socket?

Soldato
The master socket is like this too.

Hopefully there's just a master socket somewhere you don't know about. If there isn't then someone has replaced it, and you could have complications with BT.

Do you know where the line comes into the building? Can you follow the cabling and find the first termination point?

If it's overhead wiring the master socket could be in the loft. If it's very modern the master socket could be external.

Associate
RFS = Ready for Service. You need to find out what cabinet you are on as this will dictate when the service becomes available. The btwholesale ADSL checker will show you this if you put your line number in.

Soldato
I can see the exchange from my house and am told I am not served by a cabinet. Is there any way of me getting fibre other than through Virgin cable?

You are probably directly connected to the exchange, if your exchange is enabled you may be able to get what's called FTTH (Fibre to the Home) or sometimes FTTP (Fibre to the Premises).

Look on this BT page here to check - http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/faster-internet

I'm not sure if they are the FTTH products or not, but they appear to be. Certain providers are running trials so you can actually get 100-300Mb if you're lucky. ;)

Soldato
i am currently with BE but i had to ring BE a few days ago and was told on the phone i need to pick a package to migrate to sky.I explained i need to look into it a bit more because i might change to bt infinity.The problem is i pay for the broadband in the house and my dad pays for the phone package through talk talk and he said he doesn't want to change.Does anyone know if you sign up to bt infinity do they have to take over your phone package as well?

Caporegime
Random question: What is the handoff for the BT FTTP product. I know for FTTC it is Ethernet Handoff>Openreach Modem>HomeHub (I have this at home in London)

Just curious as I recently got FTTP in Spain and was surprised that the handoff was actually a TOS-LINK(?) optical cable like the ones used in other audio equipment.

The TOS Link goes into a fibre optic modem and that has Ethernet to the HomeHub equivalent. I was expecting Ethernet to be honest, although it makes no real difference.
i am currently with BE but i had to ring BE a few days ago and was told on the phone i need to pick a package to migrate to sky.I explained i need to look into it a bit more because i might change to bt infinity.The problem is i pay for the broadband in the house and my dad pays for the phone package through talk talk and he said he doesn't want to change.Does anyone know if you sign up to bt infinity do they have to take over your phone package as well?
I think you need a BT land line and you also need consent from the person who pays that line to order the Infinity package. Call BT but I suspectyou can't get their Infinity product in your current situation.

rp2000

Associate

Nope BT won't do it they want your phone line too, have a look at plusnet they can unbundle the phone from the fibre so you pay for fibre and your old man is still with talk talk. Can't see why more ISP's don't do it, just greed!

Associate
Update on previous post found here.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24060937&postcount=9446

My connection further lowered itself to around 30Mbps download and 8Mbps upload. Powercycling didn't prove to alter the line profile/stability.

So on thursday I connected up the Bt Business hub (that I had aquired off one of the local engineers). Reset the modem at the same time as the first power up of the business hub and straight away line profile jumped to 43.67Mbps download of which I am still receiving although the upload speed has remained the same.

Looking on the business hub config page and I'm greeted with a lot more settings available. The connection over the last 3 and a bit days has only once reset which was within 12 hours of first connecting it.

So all is well at the moment and hopefully it remains that way.

Update since April I'm now greeted with:

33415x0.jpg

It suddenly dropped from the previous 30 to 20mbps down however the upload has always stayed around the same. Over the last month or two the download speed has dropped slowly to where it is now. Connect wise it seemed to be stable with now random resets until last night for the past 27 days however today it has already reset itself twice. I think I'll be stuck on the phone to india tonight it seems as Dlm has never seemed to increase the speed and I do not have any ideas.

You don't suppose something has happened in the cabinet with my line ? or the cabinet is reaching capacity since I was the second person on it back at around the end of September last year? Or the line is just poor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom