BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Just installed. Initial guestimate was 60Mb/10Mb, actual is 75/15 moving up from a 5/0.8 broadband deal. No hassles, engineer was a really nice guy, took around 30 minutes from the old broadband being cut off to the new stuff being up and running.

Anyone know when they will be doing away with the old openreach white modem and getting it all up and running through the BT HomeHub 4?

Using google maps I am 643m from the cabinet and was estimated to get 44 mb/s but actually get 53 mb/s.

I'm about 90 meters and get 75 Mb.

Just installed. Initial guestimate was 60Mb/10Mb, actual is 75/15 moving up from a 5/0.8 broadband deal. No hassles, engineer was a really nice guy, took around 30 minutes from the old broadband being cut off to the new stuff being up and running.

Going by this information, I might get 68Mb/s, maybe 70 at a push. :)

Samknows says my exchange is 2357m away, which was confirmed by the engineer to be the one he did the work in. Says he was getting the full up/down at the exchange so would only be line loss that caused anything to not be as quick.

Anyone know when they will be doing away with the old openreach white modem and getting it all up and running through the BT HomeHub 4?

The HH5 will have a built-in VDSL2 modem.

Samknows says my exchange is 2357m away, which was confirmed by the engineer to be the one he did the work in. Says he was getting the full up/down at the exchange so would only be line loss that caused anything to not be as quick.

At the cab, probably.

is it worth me ringing them up as ive had it nearly a year now and my speeds were not up to the estimate to begin with and i was told they would get faster over time. Only my speeds are now less than 20mb and im on the upper tier business connection version.

I am 432m from my cab and I am synced at the full 80/20 with BT
Speed test shows 76mb down and 18mb up :)

That 432 is following the road around. All cables are under ground and I am on a new estate, house is only 5 years old.
Not sure if that makes a difference.

That 432 is following the road around. All cables are under ground and I am on a new estate, house is only 5 years old.

Thank you for that. I now have a better idea in my head about what I might get, line quality notwithstanding.

Yup with O2. Last time I did a speed test it was 38Mbps/17Mbps. :D

Nice! :D I wonder if O2 will venture into fixed 4G wireless for rural areas. The market is certainly there. :)

I'm gonna guess as more people move onto 4g the nodes will get congested, so enjoy it, whilst it lasts.

Good point. :p

It does as you will be on nice new and shinny .5 copper ;)

Roughly how long ago did BT start installing larger diameter cable? Our house is approx 15 years old so curious. I can see the BT cable leave the duct and then covered by capping. The cable is round and approx the size of a cat5e cable not the old twin cable which looks a little like bell wire.

Roughly how long ago did BT start installing larger diameter cable? Our house is approx 15 years old so curious. I can see the BT cable leave the duct and then covered by capping. The cable is round and approx the size of a cat5e cable not the old twin cable which looks a little like bell wire.

Late 80's. You still see some bell wire CDW's about but most of it is CAD55 or DW10/15 these days.

Fingers crossed when fibre is available the estimate of 66mbit BT are giving will increase. I'm only 200m walk from the cab and can see roughly how the ducts run by following the various BT pits in the pavement so it shouldn't be a wildly longer run.

Back
Top Bottom