BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

just had new fibre cabinet installed close to my house, this was immediately reflected in the BT broadband checker saying I will be able to get up to 80mb when live :-).

Does this mean the cabinet is connected up etc or is the info just derived from proximity?

Its pretty quick, I could order a couple of weeks before the Samknows FTTC activation date.

It must be a leased line quote or something because FTTPoD is only available in a few places at the moment, and it wouldn't cost anything like that to install.

Very true.
The last 2 times I've had fibre blown for leased lines the install has been quoted in the £2k - £3k and that was only because they had to put some roadworks up...
....and then I negotiated not actually paying the install :)

It was FTTPoD I believe. The quote was a guesstimate from the company that is handling the rollout for Cornwall. It does cross a main A road however I believe all the cables to the cabinet are overhead and not underground.

I am moving house in about a years time so not too bothered - but I am going to make sure I can get atleast 80mbit in the new house - it is kind of a deal breaker unless the house is awesome.

A leased line would be lovely I read you can get them up to 10gbit up and down, no idea on cost though.

just had new fibre cabinet installed close to my house, this was immediately reflected in the BT broadband checker saying I will be able to get up to 80mb when live :-).

Does this mean the cabinet is connected up etc or is the info just derived from proximity?

Most likely it's derived from proximity, since the most important factors determining speed for FTTC is distance to the cabinet and line quality.

The cabinet might be partially connected; how far along in the process depends on the location. Likely it's connected to the PCP and (possibly) the fibre line back to the exchange. It seems that the last (and most awkward) step for these cabinets is getting power to them.

What's the date given on the checker?

It was FTTPoD I believe. The quote was a guesstimate from the company that is handling the rollout for Cornwall. It does cross a main A road however I believe all the cables to the cabinet are overhead and not underground.

I am moving house in about a years time so not too bothered - but I am going to make sure I can get atleast 80mbit in the new house - it is kind of a deal breaker unless the house is awesome.

A leased line would be lovely I read you can get them up to 10gbit up and down, no idea on cost though.

I'm not in a major city.
We have a 1GB barer and we are tiered to 200MB (1:1 - no contention) and we pay around £2k per month.

Most likely it's derived from proximity, since the most important factors determining speed for FTTC is distance to the cabinet and line quality.

The cabinet might be partially connected; how far along in the process depends on the location. Likely it's connected to the PCP and (possibly) the fibre line back to the exchange. It seems that the last (and most awkward) step for these cabinets is getting power to them.

What's the date given on the checker?

:( The date WAS September, then March and now MAY 31st...... :eek:, I have noticed cabinets installed over six months ago for same exchange but also only last week saw lots of fibre getting laid in the town, so it seems they installed quite a few cabinets some time ago but actual fibre just going in now, in fact on way home from work I saw an openreach guy working at a new cabinet looking very like he was connecting it up. I`m hoping the latest date is not set in stone.

The phone line is carried over the fibre (you plug the phone into a port on the OpenReach Modem).

No you don't. The open reach modem only plugs into your ONT for the Broadband. There is a cable from the ONT to the master socket (the ONT out puts a normal phone line signal and in my case they moved the master to nearby), the master now has a switch on the top of it for copper or fibre if you are coming form a house already provisioned with copper, when the phone line switches over you simply move the switch to fibre. The master and slave sockets all work the same way with regard to phones plugging into them.

No you don't. The open reach modem only plugs into your ONT for the Broadband. There is a cable from the ONT to the master socket (the ONT out puts a normal phone line signal and in my case they moved the master to nearby), the master now has a switch on the top of it for copper or fibre if you are coming form a house already provisioned with copper, when the phone line switches over you simply move the switch to fibre. The master and slave sockets all work the same way with regard to phones plugging into them.
Hopefully we are just talking slightly different terminology here...

There is absolutely no doubt that the phone line is encoded on the fibre (the OpenReach modem has two phone jacks on it, for up to two phone lines), and the copper phone line that pre-exists in the house is not part of the equation. When the OpenReach engineer installs the FTTP, he/she asks if you would like your master socket hooked in (which is what you describe). All they are doing is running a phone cable from the OpenReach modem to the master socket (which they replace with one that has two inputs plus the switch you describe).

There is nothing (technically) stopping you from having a separate phone line running on your copper phone line (which you would pay for separately).

All of this to say that my original comment is accurate: the phone line is encoded in the fibre signal. Whether you actually plug the phone directly into the OpenReach modem, or whether your master socket has been hooked up to the OpenReach modem is irrelevant to what I was saying (which was in answer to a specific question).

All of this is based on my actually having this installed in my house (I chose to not have the master socket touched, as I have no use for a land-line).

Sorry, one other thing: what do you mean by ONT? Is that the OpenReach modem? I am not talking about the router, which is outside of this discussion. What I have been referring to all along (the OpenReach modem), is the device that receives a single input: the fibre cable, and produces several outputs: an ethernet connection (your broadband) which is PPPoE and plugs into your router (BT provides you with the BT Home Hub), and 2 phone connections (for up to 2 phone lines).

:( The date WAS September, then March and now MAY 31st...... :eek:, I have noticed cabinets installed over six months ago for same exchange but also only last week saw lots of fibre getting laid in the town, so it seems they installed quite a few cabinets some time ago but actual fibre just going in now, in fact on way home from work I saw an openreach guy working at a new cabinet looking very like he was connecting it up. I`m hoping the latest date is not set in stone.

My date was 31 March 2014 as well; a quick email to/from [email protected] informed me that this is just a holding date when there's an issue hooking up a cabinet - my date is now 31 October 2013. If the date is end-of-quarter, it's just a holding date and should really be ignored. :p You could try emailing them with your exchange ID and cabinet number, and asking them what's the projected date for your cabinet.

Sorry, one other thing: what do you mean by ONT?

An ONT is a termination point for optical signals, usually because they're getting converted to electrical signals like Ethernet.

Last edited:
Sorry, one other thing: what do you mean by ONT? Is that the OpenReach modem? I am not talking about the router, which is outside of this discussion. What I have been referring to all along (the OpenReach modem), is the device that receives a single input: the fibre cable, and produces several outputs: an ethernet connection (your broadband) which is PPPoE and plugs into your router (BT provides you with the BT Home Hub), and 2 phone connections (for up to 2 phone lines).

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/hom.../fttp/downloads/NewSitesnewhomeflyerFINAL.pdf

Frustratingly mine has been having drop outs and has now dropped to approx 20MB down after installation a month ago.

Have raised a fault so will see what has happened.

Back
Top Bottom