BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

mine has been getting progressively worse since the cab is 'accepting orders'. gone from a sync of 8900 odd kbps to 5200 odd.

going to upgrade soon since what they're charging mother dearest atm is 2 quid less than the 38mbps package, when we're on the 8mbps package.

and to make matters worse, my connection now drops approximately every ~15 minutes... this is utterly ****ing ridiculous

and to make matters worse, my connection now drops approximately every ~15 minutes... this is utterly ****ing ridiculous

I had this when I had it installed and it turned out that there was a fault on the line. The BT engineer that came reckoned we must've had it for ages though the connection didn't drop that often when we had ADSL.

Has anyone complained to BT about their line speed being a lot less than estimated and if so what was the outcome? I know it's "up to x" but I'm getting 25.5Mbps compared to the 35.9Mbps that was estimated.

Where I am moving to (all being well), it currently only has ADSL upto 16Mb/s. FTTC is rolling out December this year, but unsure what speeds will be, and how reliable it will be too...

Currently on Virgin 125Mb/s, so it will hurt bad!

This just appeared in my inbox:

Dear Sir

Thank you for your e-mail

xxxxxxxxx Exchange Cabinet xx is in the final stages of testing and commissioning and should be available towards the end of October 2013.

Regards

NGA Enquiries

Dare I uncross my fingers now. :D

Got Zen fibre unlimited ordered. Being installed on the 28th. Predicted 60 meg. Already got a cat5e cable installed around the house so I can have my router in a different room while still having the modem at the master socket

Well... since having switched a month ago:

FTTP gives better pings than FTTC. Something like 10ms instead of 25ms. So it's handy for gaming, but not a big deal.

300MB vs 80MB isn't such a big deal, most servers aren't capable of serving at that speed anyway. Only things like Steam, torrents, newsgroups can take advantage of it - but then it's a case of downloading something in 1 minute instead of 3 minutes... either way you boil the kettle and it's done.

So... going FTTP is cool, but going for the top package isn't.

Well... since having switched a month ago:

FTTP gives better pings than FTTC. Something like 10ms instead of 25ms. So it's handy for gaming, but not a big deal.

300MB vs 80MB isn't such a big deal, most servers aren't capable of serving at that speed anyway. Only things like Steam, torrents, newsgroups can take advantage of it - but then it's a case of downloading something in 1 minute instead of 3 minutes... either way you boil the kettle and it's done.

So... going FTTP is cool, but going for the top package isn't.

I don't think 300mbit is anything more than a vanity project for home users - 100/10 over fibre with no cap for a decent price is pretty much the holy grail for home internet and especially for online gaming.

FTTC can have low pings. Obviously it depends if your line is decent enough to have no interleaving and where you are in the country but I can ping the BBC in <7ms from my Sky FTTC 80/20 connection.

--- bbc.co.uk ping statistics ---
14 packets transmitted, 14 received, 0% packet loss, time 13020ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 6.511/6.731/6.948/0.148 ms

Back
Top Bottom