1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by michellez, Feb 8, 2011.

1. #Chri5#

Soldato

If you lookup your phone number here

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

you can then click the Exchange name and there's a link to the all the cabinets on that exchange. If you then click the cabinet you are connected to, it'll give you a rough position of your cabinet - does that match up with where you think the cab is?

2. MonsterMoshi

Wise Guy

The cab is new and we were switched from an EO line to this new cab recently. It is roughly where I expect as it is near the exchange.
    BT are giving me the usual run around and telling me they can get in touch with Openreach to investigate why the data is wrong or provide a revised estimate.

3. Jez

Caporegime

If you are absolutely sure that you are not now connected to a much nearer cabinet (possibly also new?) then that is a strange one

4. Sparx

Mobster

@MonsterMoshi if you were 3.5-4km away, your speeds would be much slower than 35Mb.

Are you sure there is not a closer cab?

5. elbulus

Gangster

Just these past few months I've moved to a house share that has BT already in place, Just replaced the awful HH5 with a Archer VR900 and what an improvement !

Think it's worth ringing and seeing if i can get any discount on our broadband cost ? We pay for the Unlimited BT Infinity 2 but are lucky to get over 50Mb when downloading, I'm guessing this is down to the cabinet we are connected too as the wholesale checker shows the following.

[​IMG]

and the details in the router show.

[​IMG]

Just a bit annoying paying for the higher package and not getting the speed, so used to Virgin Media in my old place that was a lovely 200Mb :(

6. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

Popping this link in here as it may get missed by a few who have the same problem and aren't even aware it's a BT issue.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18721551

The short version is that certain people on older homehubs with BT might not be able to get onto Netflix. I've kicked up a bit of fuss about it and had a new router delivered in less than 36 hours free of charge.

7. Meatball

Soldato

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...y-boost-rollout-ultrafast-fttp-broadband.html

8. DragonQ

Soldato

FTTP 330 Mb/s seems like a waste of time if G.FAST can get that speed over FTTC. A 1 Gb/s FTTP service sounds more like it though.

9. Evosparki

Gangster

Just adding my review here.
    I've had BT Infinity 76Mb for 2.5 years now. For the first few months I was usually getting 75Mb speed. Since then I usually get 70-73Mb. Very very rarely noticed any short duration downtime.
    About two weeks ago it went down during the evening after 6pm, so that's the only downtime I've ever had with them.

So, 99.9% perfect?

For over a year I've had my eye on Hyperoptic after they sent me a letter through my apartment door, I'd never heard of them before, they said they were looking for interest so I registered on their website. Now my apartment block is registered as "Taking pre-orders" and last Monday they installed their socket in my apartment ready for when they turn my block live.

So BT were awesome but I now have a better offer from Hyperoptic.

Birmingham city centre.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  10. KIA

Man of Honour

BT Unveil Large Ultrafast G.fast Broadband Pilot and 1Gbps FTTP Trials

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...afast-g-fast-broadband-pilot-fttp-trials.html

11. MissChief

Capodecina

12. KIA

Man of Honour

Explain please.

13. MooMoo444

Caporegime

Might be a broad question, but I'm wondering what y'all paying for your Infinity?

Contract up in April and I've gotta decide on leaving and going somewhere cheaper or pushing BT to give me a cheaper renewal. Don't know what to aim for though.

14. Caged

Capodecina

Not sure what you're talking about. ISPs taking part in the trials are here:

http://www.ultrafast-openreach.co.uk/Home/WantToGetInvolved

15. gooseuk

Gangster

Nice work man. Also on infinity 15/65 ish and i pay about the same. Time for a call i think.

16. thebennyboy

Mobster

G.INP has just been enabled on my cab, internet went a bit funny for a few minutes and i noticed that my ping has dropped by about 3 ms on my ping monitor. Checked the modem and it seems it's enabled, definitely wasn't enabled before.

I assumed BT had halted the G.INP rollout, seems it's started again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  17. DragonQ

Soldato

BT say they throttle torrents but they never did it to me when I was with them for 4+ years.

18. KIA

Man of Honour

19. opethdisciple

Capodecina

Is there any way I can get BT to send me a HH5 for free?

I'm still using a HH3 at the moment. It's 99% fine. Only minor issue I have noticed is recently the Apple devices seem to disconnect form the WiFi. (infrequently)

Only way I can fix it, is by refreshing the WiFi auto selection and then reconnecting the device back to the network which requires retyping the password.

Must be some change Apple made in IOS or a bug.

Are there any rumours of a HH6 on the horizon?

20. DragonQ

Soldato

You could complain that it's not working and the cheapest way for you to get one is to move providers. They will likely tie you into a new contract if they give you a new hub though.

Or you could just buy a separate WiFi access point if that's your only issue.