BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

POB

POB

Soldato
A few on here are using this:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=DSL-AC68U

No need for a separate modem. Or buy a BT Modem and get something like the RT-N66U or latest equivalent.

Discussion on the DSL-AC86U here:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18606945

Thanks for the pointers.

It was not the router.

Waiting on an OpenReach appointment as I don't think the original guy bothered to test anything just ran out the door very quickly due to parking :o.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Yay, finally got the 52Mb upgrade. Didn't have to contact them they just did it:

5445314984.png

Soldato
Estimated speed has dropped again, rather dramatically this time:

5bwsau.jpg

How do Openreach calculate these speeds, and then how often are they reviewed? We've had Openreach visit twice since the FTTC went live on 1/Feb. They now seem to have a stable sync at 39Mbit down/7Mbit up.

28hj2g3.jpg

Back up again. Do they pull these figures from their a***? They're currently getting 31Mbit down, 10Mbit up.

Associate
28hj2g3.jpg

Back up again. Do they pull these figures from their a***? They're currently getting 31Mbit down, 10Mbit up.

It's never going to be accurate for everyone. I imagine BT/Openreach must hold some data on the last mile length from the cabinet to the premises and simple calculate from that. There's bound to be cases where data is missing or inaccurate. Only way to be completely sure is to follow your cable run to the street cabinet while carrying a device that can measure distance traveled.

Caporegime
So, who's got IPv6 connectivity now on BT?

I have Infinity 2 and a Hub 6 if that makes a difference. Been allocated a /64.

Associate
eWIM129.png

DITRh4k.png

5453534290.png

Screenshot above is using the BT Telephone Checker.

Do these stats look reasonable? My BT line has been active since May 31st. PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request] being the main cause for most of the restarts. Dropped from 74 to 63 in down rate and from 20 to 18.5 in upload rate. Also seen increases to the latency from 16ms to 24ms in speedtests and in ping tests to websites such as bbc.co.uk, google.co.uk increases to 18-20ms from 9-10ms.

I think switching the lease time to 21 days from the default 1 may have stabilised the connection. Before that these user requests kept dropping my speeds little by little. Last uptime was 15 days before user request reset with no improvements made to the line in that time.

Any chance these speeds will rise again? Other than the download speed diminishing I'm pleased with the switch from the overutilized BS from Virgin to BT. Would like even more speed ideally, but not a great deal of choices.

Last edited:
Associate
So, who's got IPv6 connectivity now on BT?

I have Infinity 2 and a Hub 6 if that makes a difference. Been allocated a /64.

Mine switched to IPv6 but it messed somethings up I had setup so i turned it off. One day Ill switch it back over I assume that once you get a ipv6 address you will keep that through reboots?
This was about a month ago not using homehub but using supplied modem + own router.

Soldato
These speed test results everyone is posting - are they consistently that high, or are you cherry picking?

I ask as my 80/20 line is kicking out 70+Mbps once in a blue moon, with the rest looking more like this:

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5455236893

Origin can't find anything wrong, predictably.

That's never right, surely? I'm using the Asus N17U that they provided.
At my old house i synced at 80/20 and could max it out all the time, at my current house i get 40/2(yeh screw plusnet) and can max it out all the time.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
These speed test results everyone is posting - are they consistently that high, or are you cherry picking?

I ask as my 80/20 line is kicking out 70+Mbps once in a blue moon, with the rest looking more like this:

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5455236893

Origin can't find anything wrong, predictably.

That's never right, surely? I'm using the Asus N17U that they provided.

Just ran a single test, no cheating - took the first result from the auto selected server (see time stamp), its always the same every single time (give or take 1mbit or so) on my 80/20 line:

5456425937.png

Associate
My server runs a speed test every hour (im gonna make a graph one day).
Im on 52mb my last 5 are
48Mbs download
8Mbs upload
ping to server 36.1ms
42Mbs download
9Mbs upload
ping to server 33.525ms
48Mbs download
8Mbs upload
ping to server 32.061ms
46Mbs download
8Mbs upload
ping to server 37.03ms
48Mbs download
8Mbs upload
ping to server 36.149ms
With no-one home so its not overly consistant but always above 40mb unless Im downloading.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Mine are consistently high - can run a test right now, middle of the evening, middle of the night whatever and see my max (80/20) line speed in actual download and upload speeds.

Back
Top Bottom