BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Just received a quote back from BT for the installation of the infrastructure for FTTP to my parents small rural hamlet
We are looking at £30K for the installation of the fibre to the area plus the installation costs to connect the premises we could run anything from £300 to £1500 per house depending on where they locate the distribution point
Getting FTTP would be great but we now have to convince the neighbours to shell out close to £3K each to fund broadband infrastructure which will always be owned by BT...
We currently suffer with 1Mbs on a good day so an improvement is long due but it is a significant about of money for anybody to shell out
I'm thinking a good way to convince some neighbours is house prices. Surely having ultrast internet would have a significant impact on property values greater that the £3K it would cost? Houses currently average at £500K in the area

It will definitely increase property value as it's such a staple part of everyday life now.

How did you go about getting that quote? My parents live in a rural hamlet in Dorset which has just had FTTC enabled. The trouble is, the cabinet is over 1km away and they sync at a maximum of 30Mbits. I was going to get a quote to see how much FTTP would cost but their telephone number doesn't show FTTPod as available.

Last edited:
Associate
3 Weeks since we moved in and still cant get the FTTP activated, apparently its showing as silver status on the internal Openreach database, but until its gold I cant order

I go on call on Friday too :(

Associate
It will definitely increase property value as it's such a staple part of everyday life now.

How did you go about getting that quote? My parents live in a rural hamlet in Dorset which has just had FTTC enabled. The trouble is, the cabinet is over 1km away and they sync at a maximum of 30Mbits. I was going to get a quote to see how much FTTP would cost but their telephone number doesn't show FTTPod as available.

We got in touch with BT Community Fibre Partnerships it's taken almost 4 month to get the quote through though
We were in a similar situation being on a long line
We were moved from an exchange only line to a new FTTC cabinet but it is over 4km away so we can't get any improvements at all
It's well worth looking into especially if you can get a few good neighbours involved

Associate
I'm also on BT Infinity (80/20 if that's what you call it). Since I moved in late 2013 every speed test I've done have been around 75 down / 19 up, give or take 1mb. I'm very happy with it, it's expensive but worth it I think. Can't beat downloading a full game in the time it would take to walk down the street to buy it.

Associate
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me roughly what sort of download speed in MB/sec should be achievable if achieving the full 55mbit sync speed on BT Infinity 1? I'm connected using a gigabit ethernet link to my router so no issues with wifi/powerline adapters etc.

Ive opted to use a BT Openreach (ECI) modem so unable to see my line stats and trying to figure out whether I'm syncing anywhere near the max obtainable rate.

Thanks,

Russ

Soldato
http://www.engadget.com/2016/07/27/fix-britains-internet-campaign-bt-ofcom/
Fix Britain's Internet: ISPs campaign to tear BT and Openreach apart

Engadget said:
After reviewing the tangled relationship between BT and its broadband infrastructure subsidiary Openreach for more than a year, Ofcom yesterday put forward its plan to create a greater distinction between the two businesses. Under the proposals, Openreach would become "a legally separate company," whilst remaining under the BT Group umbrella; a move Ofcom says is the most cost-effective and least disruptive way of giving Openreach greater independence. But -- surprise, surprise -- BT competitors, which are also Openreach customers, believe Ofcom hasn't gone far enough.

Ofcom wants Openreach to have its own board, its own directors and its own CEO, with none of these execs reporting to anyone within the larger BT machine. Openreach will then be free to make decisions on strategy and investment without a perceived bias towards BT's agenda.

As soon as Ofcom announced last year it was putting BT and Openreach under the microscope, the likes of Sky and TalkTalk (which use Openreach's network to underpin their own services) called for a full split. Criticisms included a lack of investment in broadband infrastructure, particularly fibre, as well as a general poor quality of service, including slow installations and fault resolutions -- all stemming, they argue, from Openreach's focus on BT's interests above all else.

Sky half-heartedly accepted Ofcom's proposals yesterday, though it did admit they fall short of expectations. TalkTalk voiced similar views. Three even piped up to vent its disappointment -- the company still reeling after its merger with O2 was denied after BT's relatively smooth road to acquiring EE. Industry lobbying-slash-moaning isn't looking like it'll quiet down any time soon, however.

A group that includes Sky, TalkTalk and Vodafone have today launched the "Fix Britain's Internet" campaign, which basically parrots all the criticisms of BT and Openreach we've heard time and time again. The campaign's website urges you to email Ofcom and your local MP -- through a handy form that does most of the work for you -- to express your dissatisfaction at the current status quo. You don't exactly have to read between the lines to also see the prepared statement implies Ofcom could be bolder in its proposals.

Ofcom's tango with BT isn't over yet. Its proposals aren't set in stone and it will have to work with the company for some time while the greater separation of Openreach plays out. But Sky and Co., it seems, are a tough crowd to please, and one that isn't going to stop pushing its own agenda of a full separation until there are no open ears left to listen.

#fixbritainsinternet !! :cool:

Soldato
http://www.engadget.com/2016/07/27/fix-britains-internet-campaign-bt-ofcom/
Fix Britain's Internet: ISPs campaign to tear BT and Openreach apart

#fixbritainsinternet !! :cool:

You cant have a top quality broadband infrastructure at a price that UK consumers are willing to pay (which is next to nothing). Those are the people you need to convince.

On the other hand councils need to force developers through the planning process to install the 'proper' infrastructure. It seems madness to me that you can put up huge estates and still install copper. The costs of putting in fibre from square one will not be that much more compared to replacing the existing network.

Soldato
You cant have a top quality broadband infrastructure at a price that UK consumers are willing to pay (which is next to nothing). Those are the people you need to convince.

On the other hand councils need to force developers through the planning process to install the 'proper' infrastructure. It seems madness to me that you can put up huge estates and still install copper. The costs of putting in fibre from square one will not be that much more compared to replacing the existing network.

I've just moved out of a 14 year-old house. No fibre. No cable.

Moved into a 130+ year-old house. 80Mbps fibre.

Why aren't new builds built with this stuff already?!

Soldato
I'd agree that new build should have decent infrastructure, and it should be part of the planning process.

I'd also hate see new build getting all of the investment to the detriment of existing build.

Soldato

Many countries have better infrastructure than us and at cheaper prices, while this might not all be down to BT/Openreach they certainly have questions to answer.

Romania gets 100Mbit internet for $14/month, I'm sure that probably not 100% coverage etc. but I'm sure we can do better than Romania.

The biggest decision that needs to be made/then funded is do we ditch the copper pair and run fiber to every premises in the UK. It's amazing what can be done with copper now and GFAST needs to be everywhere as soon as possible but to really move on and just "bite the bullet"

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Did you really just compare Romania with the UK? :p The same Romania which is virtually third world in terms of conditions for a telco to install an infrastructure (ie, cheap and easy with very little bureaucracy).

Soldato
Romania gets 100Mbit internet for $14/month, I'm sure that probably not 100% coverage etc. but I'm sure we can do better than Romania.

It'd probably be cheap and easy here too if they ran overhead cables absolutely everywhere like many Eastern European countries do, but it looks utterly awful and you'd lose service all the time due to weather etc.

Soldato
It'd probably be cheap and easy here too if they ran overhead cables absolutely everywhere like many Eastern European countries do, but it looks utterly awful and you'd lose service all the time due to weather etc.

How much of it is state subsidised/funded? Do they have 90+% of their population covered?

Associate
Mine was spot on from delivery of the router the day before to activation.
Basically just plugged the router in and away you go.

Already not going well, had BT on phone they've cancelled my order as there is an open order on my phone line :confused:

Cancelled Sky and I'm currently in my 31 days notice period.

Soldato
Already not going well, had BT on phone they've cancelled my order as there is an open order on my phone line :confused:

Cancelled Sky and I'm currently in my 31 days notice period.

If you called Sky and told them you were leaving first they probably have put a cease order on the line which means no other order can be placed on your line until the cease order completes.

When you change ISP there is no need to contact your current provider it just causes a mess, just place the order with the new ISP and they will deal with the current ISP, unfortunately you are now going to be in for a long wait.

Associate
If you called Sky and told them you were leaving first they probably have put a cease order on the line which means no other order can be placed on your line until the cease order completes.

When you change ISP there is no need to contact your current provider it just causes a mess, just place the order with the new ISP and they will deal with the current ISP, unfortunately you are now going to be in for a long wait.

Your kidding :eek::mad:

I rang Sky first to try to get a better deal as my package is going up from £70 a month to £130. When they wouldn't give me a deal I told them to cancel the lot. That was 2 weeks ago, they still haven't given me a deal so I'm off, hence why I want to join BT. Why should leaving one provider to another cause such an issue, that's bloody stupid!!!

Back
Top Bottom