BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
When you change ISP there is no need to contact your current provider it just causes a mess, just place the order with the new ISP and they will deal with the current ISP, unfortunately you are now going to be in for a long wait.

Thats what i did i was with plusnet.Ordered BT on the 13th July and it was installed on the 27th.No contact with plusnet other than an email from them saying sorry your leaving then another on the 28th july telling me of the cancellation request.

Caporegime
You can only have one 'order activity' on a line at a time. To change provider the line with your old provider must be active with no cease requests in place.

Soldato
BT Infinity activates on the 10th for me, the standard home hub jobbie they send OK, or is it worth buying something else? (Don't really use the wifi)

Soldato
Hello all,

Has anyone had any trouble with connecting to their Smart Hub (6) with an Android smartpone?

We received our new hub yesterday and it all seemed to be set up and working fine last night. Then tonight, my phone (HTC One M8) seemed to be having trouble connecting. Some websites would load (this forum seemed fine), but Pistonheads refused to load, as did some other stuff. Facebook worked, but slowly, and some linked pages didn't work.

I asked my girlfriend to try the same sites as me on her iPhone and she had no trouble, and our Samsung Galaxy tablet is also working fine. Just seems to be my phone. I heard that it could be solved by activating separate bands for 2.4GHz and 5GHz, however I tried this and the problem persisted. I've now switched back to one band, and still no joy...overclockers.co.uk loads fine, pistonheads.com does nothing but say "This site can't be reached".

Anyone else had this trouble and know of a fix?

Soldato
Hello all,

Has anyone had any trouble with connecting to their Smart Hub (6) with an Android smartpone?

We received our new hub yesterday and it all seemed to be set up and working fine last night. Then tonight, my phone (HTC One M8) seemed to be having trouble connecting. Some websites would load (this forum seemed fine), but Pistonheads refused to load, as did some other stuff. Facebook worked, but slowly, and some linked pages didn't work.

I asked my girlfriend to try the same sites as me on her iPhone and she had no trouble, and our Samsung Galaxy tablet is also working fine. Just seems to be my phone. I heard that it could be solved by activating separate bands for 2.4GHz and 5GHz, however I tried this and the problem persisted. I've now switched back to one band, and still no joy...overclockers.co.uk loads fine, pistonheads.com does nothing but say "This site can't be reached".

Anyone else had this trouble and know of a fix?

Nexus 5, HH6 here. I can access pistonheads no problem.

Soldato
BT Infinity activates on the 10th for me, the standard home hub jobbie they send OK, or is it worth buying something else? (Don't really use the wifi)

They'll probably give you the new SmartHub. Should be fine, can always upgrade at a later date if you need to for whatever reason.

Associate
After getting my new house set up and wired I'll be looking to have BT Infinity (56mb unlimited), do BT send an engineer out to install the openreach modem (plugging in my own router to that as the adsl filters are integrated in the modem) or is it like with bog standard adsl where a filter is used between the master socket and whatever flavour of homehub? Obviously scenario 2 would mean I have to buy a separate vdsl modem to separate them out.

Was on the phone to BT tonight but they were about as useful as **** on a fish in answering a simple question of "what does the engineer do?" and if they install an openreach modem.

*ignore - google answered they have stopped doing Openreach modem installs.

Last edited:
Soldato
After getting my new house set up and wired I'll be looking to have BT Infinity (56mb unlimited), do BT send an engineer out to install the openreach modem (plugging in my own router to that as the adsl filters are integrated in the modem) or is it like with bog standard adsl where a filter is used between the master socket and whatever flavour of homehub? Obviously scenario 2 would mean I have to buy a separate vdsl modem to separate them out.

Was on the phone to BT tonight but they were about as useful as **** on a fish in answering a simple question of "what does the engineer do?" and if they install an openreach modem.

*ignore - google answered they have stopped doing Openreach modem installs.

They have.

There's nothing stopping you buying the filtered faceplate and installing it yourself to avoid external filters.

If you want a separate modem they're still available in various forms.

The ISP supplied router will have the VDSL modem built-in.

Soldato
Nothing wrong with the DrayTek.

I'd try to get hold of a used or new Openreach Huawei EchoLife HG612 (don't pay extra for an unlocked version as it's a simple update).

There seem to be quite a few about at for a reasonable cost (< £25) at the moment.

Associate
Signed up with Zen on Unlimited Fibre 2; I'm fairly close to the cabinet so hoping for 80/20. Unfortunately things haven't gone smoothly so far.

Openreach engineer attended last Wednesday then left saying he'd need to get an underground engineer to complete the work. 1 week passed with nothing happening, then another Openreach engineer turned up yesterday to say that the original guy had routed me to the wrong cabinet; but no bother, he could set up the right routing and get me connected the same day.

I got a call from Zen yesterday afternoon saying my order was completed and I should now be able to connect. Turned the router on and zip, nada, nothing.

They've now raised a fault with Openreach, and seeing as I'm at work Monday to Thursday next week the earliest I can get it sorted is next Friday (provided they don't balls it up again).

Good to see that my 99 quid (plus VAT) installation fee is being well spent.

Soldato
Signed up with Zen on Unlimited Fibre 2; I'm fairly close to the cabinet so hoping for 80/20. Unfortunately things haven't gone smoothly so far.

Openreach engineer attended last Wednesday then left saying he'd need to get an underground engineer to complete the work. 1 week passed with nothing happening, then another Openreach engineer turned up yesterday to say that the original guy had routed me to the wrong cabinet; but no bother, he could set up the right routing and get me connected the same day.

I got a call from Zen yesterday afternoon saying my order was completed and I should now be able to connect. Turned the router on and zip, nada, nothing.

They've now raised a fault with Openreach, and seeing as I'm at work Monday to Thursday next week the earliest I can get it sorted is next Friday (provided they don't balls it up again).

Identical to my experience when they set me up on Origin. BT blamed Origin, obviously, but the gist is that the engineer set my connection up to some unknown endpoint. It was supposedly live, and the line tests all passed, but when you rang the number nothing rang in my house.

Took a couple of engineers and visits to fix.

Caporegime

Did that include an engineer visit with Openreach modem? A cabinet only activation is £49+VAT charged to ZEN.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom