BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Anyone using Ubiquiti networking stuff with Infinity? I can get a decent price on it and I'm considering it for our new house.

I still have the old white OR modem lying around, but am just using the HH5 currently.

Edit- working. So rather than delete the below if someone gets the same error, exactly as Giganit suggests but the username [email protected] works for me.

Thanks Gigabit and Sparx

No such luck using my original Openreach modem. Same as it used to be, wan port of Airport to Lan1 on modem. When browsing I get the below error

Have I missed something?

Username is [email protected] & password (have to put something)

SERVICE INFORMATION

You have been connected to this page due to one of the following reasons. You must now shut down your internet browser and internet applications before attempting to reconnect. This may clear the issue immediately, if not then please select the appropriate action from list below.
Your service provider is currently unable to accept your connection request, please wait and reattempt later or contact your service provider for more information.
Or
You have attempted to access an invalid Service Provider domain, check your user details.
Or
You are testing your connection using bt_test_user@startup_domain. Please proceed to next step as advised by your Service Provider
Or
You are testing your connection to your service provider using bt_test_user@domain. where "domain" is your Service Provider domain name. Please proceed to next step as advised by your Service Provider.
Or
The access circuit to your Service Provider is currently down. Your service should be resumed soon. Please try again later or contact your Service Provider

Page maintained by BTWholesale

Finally got faster internet after waiting a year and a half for the cabinet to be upgraded (last in the village). Previously been making do with 3meg.

Much happier now...
MCG0K35.png

Just need to pop into the post office tomorrow to pick up my unifi security gateway.

Anyone using Ubiquiti networking stuff with Infinity? I can get a decent price on it and I'm considering it for our new house.

I still have the old white OR modem lying around, but am just using the HH5 currently.

Yep. I'm using a USG along with a Draytek 130 VDSL modem and a couple of Unifi AC-LR's.

There's a big thread on Ubiquiti stuff so it might be worth having a read through that.

Anyone getting significant slow down during peak hours? I was on TalkTalk syncing at the near max for Infinity 2 and never had a slow down (looking at my microserver logs downloading at varying times) however, on BT Infinity 1 still syncing at the max for that, I'm seeing it go no higher than 7mb from Friday night, until early hours of the morning and then from 11am all weekend until ~2am this morning back up to full speed.

It's the same kit, same cabinet, is it simply just BT congested and TalkTalk wasn't because fewer customers?

yeah - Ubiquiti AP handles all the wireless stuff. I switched from Sky to BT recently , the great thing about using the Ubiquiti AP was all the wirless stuff in the house didn't need changing passwords/networks etc as they are all still on the same AP, despite changing routers and providers etc. Saved loads of time.

Anyone getting significant slow down during peak hours? I was on TalkTalk syncing at the near max for Infinity 2 and never had a slow down (looking at my microserver logs downloading at varying times) however, on BT Infinity 1 still syncing at the max for that, I'm seeing it go no higher than 7mb from Friday night, until early hours of the morning and then from 11am all weekend until ~2am this morning back up to full speed.

It's the same kit, same cabinet, is it simply just BT congested and TalkTalk wasn't because fewer customers?

Wouldn't it be the same case for other ISPs sharing the same cabinet?

Thought they all shared the same wholesale bandwidth?

So STILL can't get Infinity here. I had some expectation and excitement as our exchange for a while was showing as being upgraded. Now the exchange is showing as fibre enabled but I still get the message that I can't get Infinity where I live.

Fed up of waiting now. It might sound a bit entitled, but really I'm not far from the centre of the second biggest city in the country and in 2016 this seems shoddy given all we hear about the importance of high speed internet.

Not willing to go back to Virgin after my last experience with them, so do I have any other options to get better than my current 17Mb/s down, 1Mb/s up or do I just have to suck it up and keep on waiting for God knows how long?

Yeah, not far from the exchange, which at least means I get pretty near the advertised speeds for my connection. It's starting to feel slow though, with data throughput increasing for so many things.

Guessing there aren't going to be any other options then? I've tried those sites that claim to search by postcode for available deals, but the results they return include some I know I can't actually get.

I've never seen any congestion type slowdowns on my main or another FTTC connection I use regularly - any time of day or night I've maxed out the sync speed.

Am starting to see some issues with regard to cross talk or the likes pulling attainable sync speeds down a little though - was amusing when we had power cuts here and at one point 9/10th of the town was out but myself and few surrounding premises still had power and the SNR, etc. jumped way up with everyone else offline.

It's not really an "I wish" thing when you've chosen to pick a cheaper slower product, 80/20 limit packages have been out for years which would give you 50/18 :p

I guess by offering that they'd hamper the appeal of the 80/20 packages, one of the reasons i stick to 80/20 is the faster upload for syncing files/folders/cloud stuff when working at home. If they offered 55/20 you'd cut a lot of that business.

Anyone having any DNS issues using the home hub 6?

I have a small number of websites which I can't access and throw up a DNS error.

The hub doesn't allow you to manually update to use for example Google DNS, so nut sure what else I can do to check this?

Chris

Anyone having any DNS issues using the home hub 6?

I have a small number of websites which I can't access and throw up a DNS error.

The hub doesn't allow you to manually update to use for example Google DNS, so nut sure what else I can do to check this?

Chris

Use a static IP on your computer and manually set DNS to Google.

Back
Top Bottom