BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Having tremendous issues with frequent drop outs. Was hoping switching from Smart Hub to HG612 + ASUS N66U would help but it hasn't.

Had 2min disconnections about 6 times today and numerous times since the beginning of the month. Did have an engineer booked out but got an automatic text from BT to say the fault appears to be fixed and my appointment has been cancelled.

On an unrelated note, my account has been in credit for the last few months and they've not taken any further payment other than the initial set-up cost..!

HAz

HAz

Soldato
Bt are fitting FTTP in my road and it shows on the website as in the surveying stage! how long does it take from then? does anyone have experience with the time FTTP takes roughly? Also Virgin have fitted a cab end of my road and im told its also FTTP! looks like I have a choice lol

Associate
Bt are fitting FTTP in my road and it shows on the website as in the surveying stage! how long does it take from then? does anyone have experience with the time FTTP takes roughly? Also Virgin have fitted a cab end of my road and im told its also FTTP! looks like I have a choice lol

It can vary massively but expect up to 12 months
You'll see bursts of work being completed then nothing for months
BT have there own way of doing things and whilst I'm sure there is logic in there somewhere, it is not for us average Joe's to know

I wish you luck! We are due to go live in the next couple of weeks but it has been a long road

Man of Honour
There's no choice, BT every time over Virgin!

Soldato
So my router restated itself earlier and I've now gone from 40mb/12 to 63mb/18.

What could have caused this? I did put the adsl socket filter on yesterday but I doubt that caused it?

Soldato
Soldato
Is there any way for me to find out what the plans in my street are for FTTP?

It's a new build development. When I check on the OpenReach site, the houses up to number 40 all state that they are "In scope" (which according to the blurb means they are in the plans to get FTTP). The house I'm moving into is number 76 and is listed as only being able to get ADSL (at a massive 1-2Mbps!). Surely they wouldn't roll out FTTP to one half of the street and not the rest?

I tried asking OpenReach via their website but all they said was..

"In response to your query regarding fibre broadband, we would request you to provide us a working telephone number. However, if you don’t have a working line then you need to contact your service provider and place an order for PSTN line."

I wasn't planning to have home phone (I know I need a line for ADSL). I'm assuming a new build will have a BT line fitted? Not sure what my options are? Just get crappy ADSL for now and hope FTTP (or FTTC) arrives soon?

TJM

TJM

Associate
So my router restated itself earlier and I've now gone from 40mb/12 to 63mb/18.

What could have caused this? I did put the adsl socket filter on yesterday but I doubt that caused it?
It might well have if you have voice or other devices that were causing heavy interference. Another possibility is that the SNR on your line has lowered during the resync. This explains it: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...nreach-prep-3db-snr-fttc-broadband-lines.html

When are we likely to see speeds of over 80/20 Mb/s? I've had that for 6 years now and it's still the fastest available.
As mentioned above, G.fast will bring faster speeds when it's eventually rolled out, but you need to be getting good speeds already to see any benefit. If your modem is actually syncing at 80/20, you can expect the full 330Mbps.

It's a new build development. When I check on the OpenReach site, the houses up to number 40 all state that they are "In scope" (which according to the blurb means they are in the plans to get FTTP). The house I'm moving into is number 76 and is listed as only being able to get ADSL (at a massive 1-2Mbps!). Surely they wouldn't roll out FTTP to one half of the street and not the rest?

"In response to your query regarding fibre broadband, we would request you to provide us a working telephone number. However, if you don’t have a working line then you need to contact your service provider and place an order for PSTN line."

I wasn't planning to have home phone (I know I need a line for ADSL). I'm assuming a new build will have a BT line fitted? Not sure what my options are? Just get crappy ADSL for now and hope FTTP (or FTTC) arrives soon?
I'd ask over on the Think Broadband forums in the Fibre broadband section. Some of mods have contacts within Openreach who can look into situations like this.

Soldato
When Openreach upgrade your cabinet to support GFast. More info http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...rst-330mbps-g-fast-broadband-pilot-areas.html

It won't be anytime soon! In the meantime you could investigate whether any other providers have infrastructure in your area: Gigaclear, Hyperoptic, Virgin Media etc.
I live in the South East so none of those fancy providers are around. Virgin Media obviously is but I don't like their service or their network.

As mentioned above, G.fast will bring faster speeds when it's eventually rolled out, but you need to be getting good speeds already to see any benefit. If your modem is actually syncing at 80/20, you can expect the full 330Mbps.
My modem says maximum sync speeds are 75/21.

I see a few articles pointing to, and even showing pictures of, a G.Fast rollout map, but I cannot find the information itself. I've looked on Openreach's website but can't see anything useful.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd love them to actually start investing for those who are the unlucky ones that are a distance away from their cabinet...

Me for example. I can only achieve 14Mbps on FTTC and others even less then that.

Would like to have more options for an ISP and not be stuck with Virgin Media.

Caporegime
Soldato
My mother-in-law is moving from ADSL to FTTC and was told that an engineer call out wouldn't be needed. Is this really the case? I thought the BT socket had to be replaced with a newer one or is this no longer a requirement?

Associate

I found it a nightmare waiting to get my FTTP in the new build. BT cant really help at all, and Openreach wont talk to consumers.

Can you ask the builders see what they say?

Back
Top Bottom