BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
My bt is up for renewal soon. People that say plusnet are cheap are there any caveats? do they throttle? Or frown upon downloading/uploading large amounts or data?

All FTTC is essentially the same like for like. In the case of PN they're owned by BT - it's essentially the same group of companies using the same network but with UK based CS/Faults. The only noticeable differences were the profile speeds. BT as standard offer 52/10 rather than 38/10 that most of the industry treat as standard (in the EU 52/10 is standard, 38/* is poverty spec). At one time Plusnet offered 38/2 rather than 38/10, if you're going for max they've always offered the same. No FTTC isp that I'm aware of throttles, they never have. Rarely some offer data caps, but basically fibre is fibre on a like for like basis, the differentiators are the name on the bill/price, the hardware supplied/supported, the tech support on offer and the standard of tech they will send out.

If you ask, BT will (almost) match PN's pricing (35.99 for 76/10), be prepared to push to get it and don't be fobbed off by 'best offers', they will try and say every offer is the best offer. Further reductions require a migration order to be booked.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
My bt is up for renewal soon. People that say plusnet are cheap are there any caveats? do they throttle? Or frown upon downloading/uploading large amounts or data?
Second time on PlusNet, great both times. I believe the traffic management has been dropped on the higher tiers, not that you'd ever notice it anyway.

Soldato
BT retention deals, rubbish, they offer nothing great, i left earlier this year, my sister left last month, BT customer for years, offered nothing.

Its best to switch every year, BT ,Plusnet, etc , and get the top cashback, quidco , amazon vouchers.

Soldato
Anyone else noticed the IPv6 trials? Seems to come and go intermittently. Loving the IP address the BBC has assigned. :)

C:\Users\windo>ping bbc.co.uk

Pinging bbc.co.uk [2001:41c1:4008::bbc:2] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 2001:41c1:4008::bbc:2: time=14ms
Reply from 2001:41c1:4008::bbc:2: time=15ms

Ping statistics for 2001:41c1:4008::bbc:2:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 15ms, Average = 14ms

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Hows Plusnet these days guys?

I moved away from them last year to Zen and have been pretty underwhelmed (poor single thread issues etc) and am thinking of moving back to PN when my contract is up in a month or so.

Associate
BT wont offer me a price I am happy to pay. They want £45 for 12 months for Infinity 1 whereas new customers can get it for £32 from affiliate sites plus a £120 pre paid card and a £40 M&S card. Is it possible to cancel the contract in my name and then set up a new one in partners to get the better deal?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm on BT Infinity. My router indicates I should be getting 20 Mbps upload speed but speed tests indicate I'm only getting 1-2 Mbps. Download speed is fine. I'm using a Draytek 2860. It's configured as per the instructions on their website but I'm obviously missing some tweak. Bandwidth management is off. I've tried disabling the firewall and DoS defences without improvement. I've even tried resetting it and setting it up again ab initio. Any ideas?

Associate
BT wont offer me a price I am happy to pay. They want £45 for 12 months for Infinity 1 whereas new customers can get it for £32 from affiliate sites plus a £120 pre paid card and a £40 M&S card. Is it possible to cancel the contract in my name and then set up a new one in partners to get the better deal?

Yes it is, I did the same, in the end I got the following deal;

BT Infinity 4 with line rental for £42 a month.

Although now they are saying they cant honour that, so I have got a complaint raised. (Luckily they can listen to the call :))

Associate
They wont offer anything less than £45 a month even after I mentioned new customer deal. I'm juts going to cancel and set up in my partners name and get all the goodies.

Man of Honour
Hows Plusnet these days guys?

I moved away from them last year to Zen and have been pretty underwhelmed (poor single thread issues etc) and am thinking of moving back to PN when my contract is up in a month or so.
I moved from Zen to PlusNet and the only difference I notice is far less money leaves my bank account each month.

Associate
Best bet is to leave them, then the day after service cuts off, register in partners name a new account.

You lose service for 5 days, but you get the decent new customer offers/mastercard :)

You may want to double check your cabinet isn't full first. There's plenty of horror stories of when a cabinet is full, you could lose your spot in the line cards if someone gets their order in first before you can get your order in. Then you'll be stuck on adsl, which depending on your line, could be really bad (going from 74mbps to 6mbps is noticable on some things, including watching streams from Amazon, etc). Then you'll have lost out on a Fibre connection for £100-250 for the entire contract term and no idea when there'll be space for an order again.

Sometimes it's not worth the hassle of cutting service and reregistering under a different name.

At the very least, make sure you have a backup option to go to where it's not limited by the cabinet (eg Virgin)

Associate
Hi Everyone so ive put a Order into BT to get the Infinity package for up to 52mb Broadband just off the Phone with them and they said they have to Send openreach out to put in a Line from the Box or something like that and there charging me 130 pounds am i getting ripped off?

Associate
Hi Everyone so ive put a Order into BT to get the Infinity package for up to 52mb Broadband just off the Phone with them and they said they have to Send openreach out to put in a Line from the Box or something like that and there charging me 130 pounds am i getting ripped off?

Did you have a BT line before? As in, an actual BT phone line that was active at some point that was owned by BT? If not, you are installing a new line and would need to pay that 130 if I'm not mistaken.

Associate
You may want to double check your cabinet isn't full first. There's plenty of horror stories of when a cabinet is full, you could lose your spot in the line cards if someone gets their order in first before you can get your order in. Then you'll be stuck on adsl, which depending on your line, could be really bad (going from 74mbps to 6mbps is noticable on some things, including watching streams from Amazon, etc). Then you'll have lost out on a Fibre connection for £100-250 for the entire contract term and no idea when there'll be space for an order again.

Sometimes it's not worth the hassle of cutting service and reregistering under a different name.

At the very least, make sure you have a backup option to go to where it's not limited by the cabinet (eg Virgin)

I have a FTTP line so should be safe on that aspect :)

Back
Top Bottom