BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Sync speeds won't be affected, anything the ISP is responsible for could potentially slow you down.

I am on a discounted package with BT at the moment anyway so I'm not in a hurry to break contract and go elsewhere, if you don't have an issue with the price then the actual product is decent.

Same.

I've just had the email regarding the price increases, and have been given the option to keep the current price if I re-sign for another 18 months. It's a no-brainer in my case.

Soldato
Might move to Plusnet then as it’s only £29.99 a month.

When switching to a provider like Plusnet who use the BT infrastructure will my speeds change at all - I’m expecting them to stay exactly the same because it’s using the same line?

Sync speeds shouldn't change as the existing infrastructure on OR's end will not really get touched. It's just the ISP's network that might affect actual performance, i.e. you sync at 76Mb but get slowdowns due to congestion. I've not had any issue with BT in 5 years which is one of the positive things I have to say about them.

Same.

I've just had the email regarding the price increases, and have been given the option to keep the current price if I re-sign for another 18 months. It's a no-brainer in my case.

Sync speeds won't be affected, anything the ISP is responsible for could potentially slow you down.

I am on a discounted package with BT at the moment anyway so I'm not in a hurry to break contract and go elsewhere, if you don't have an issue with the price then the actual product is decent.

Why not do what ChrisD's mentioned? I'm locked on Infinity 2 at £39.99 till next December. After seeing all the incentives and offers (along with the free upgrade for those on Infinity 1) it made me think locking in for 2yrs was a bad idea.

Soldato
I was also tempted to sign up for a further 18 months at £31.49 but having called BT to discuss, I've decided to leave with no penalty. My contract was due in January anyway.
I've now signed up to EE at £33 a month with £125 cashback.

Soldato
Why not do what ChrisD's mentioned? I'm locked on Infinity 2 at £39.99 till next December. After seeing all the incentives and offers (along with the free upgrade for those on Infinity 1) it made me think locking in for 2yrs was a bad idea.
I locked in for 2 years with Plusnet nearly 18 months ago at £30/mo (including line rental saver).

Soldato
What speeds? I found it annoying that I had a few months of my line rental saver refunded when they incorporated line rental into the prices. I effectively got refunded my cheaper price, then recharged a higher one. Annoying that they can do that but won't refund any remaining line rental saver if you leave early (like when the prices rise in Jan).

Associate
Yo, I'm confused as hell. I've been on BT for a year now. I have the following package:

Unlimited Broadband with BT Infinity 1
Unlimited usage
Up to 52Mb download speed

I recently re-newed the contract last month (the same package?). I randomly decided to do a speedtest and here are the results:

6780222245.png

It was always capped at 52, but now it seems to be much higher for some bizarre reason? Anyone else have a similar experience?

Edit: MyBT still says I'm on package 1 (52Mb), but I'm evidently on package 2 (up to 76Mb).

Associate
Yeah quite a few people have had this as BT have been offering a "free" gift. I got the same. Ive just renewed and did a bit of bargaining. Managed to sign up the broadband part of my deal for the same price 32.50 but with 76mbps for 18 months. Also managed to get a youview+ ultra HD box for free just postage of 9.99 with the new tv package.

Soldato
What speeds? I found it annoying that I had a few months of my line rental saver refunded when they incorporated line rental into the prices. I effectively got refunded my cheaper price, then recharged a higher one. Annoying that they can do that but won't refund any remaining line rental saver if you leave early (like when the prices rise in Jan).
80/20 Mb/s package.

Soldato
If I unplug my modem for a week, is DLM going to have a fit?

I'm decorating the hall, stairs and landing soon. I need to do some serious filling and sanding of the walls, so everything is going to have to come out of there. If I take out my modem for a week, am I going to come back to crappy connection?

Soldato
I've yet to be informed of a price increase. Not had a speed upgrade either, Is it a above inflation rise (so contract cancelling?).

I've found out that BT will store old info on your account. So my BT account was originally in my Dad's name, then my Mum's and even though all the account info is in my name, behind the scenes they still have all their details. So far they've both received the price increase email but not to my email registered on the account. This would explain how I never got the emails before. It's a shambles of a system they have.

Back
Top Bottom