BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
How much have people had their fibre speed drop by after installation? Day of installation I was sync'd at 72. Now I've dropped to 62 and my minimum guarantee is 71 so I'm getting emails from Plusnet to say I'm under the threshold. Installation was on the 17th October.

Soldato
My BT Infinity 2 connection stopped working sometime in the night. Checked the BT Community forums and a few people have received speed increases (indicated by a BT email) that has ended up with their line going faulty. I've not had an email although in the last few months my connection has gone from 54Mbps to 61Mbps. So I've logged a fault and (no dial tone either) and it says they have found a fault and are despatching an engineer whatever that means.

Also BT are putting their prices up in January again and I've been offered another discount of about £6.

Caporegime
My BT Infinity 2 connection stopped working sometime in the night. Checked the BT Community forums and a few people have received speed increases (indicated by a BT email) that has ended up with their line going faulty. I've not had an email although in the last few months my connection has gone from 54Mbps to 61Mbps. So I've logged a fault and (no dial tone either) and it says they have found a fault and are despatching an engineer whatever that means.

Also BT are putting their prices up in January again and I've been offered another discount of about £6.
The speed increase is a simple profile change that's done remotely. I suspect it's sheer coincidence your line has developed a fault around the time of the speed increase.

Soldato
I didnt say I'd had a speed increase that caused the fault today.

Just an update: BT Engineer has just been. The fibre port in the green cab was kaput. Changed it over to another fibre connection and now working again. Also updated our master socket too.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've yet to be informed of a price increase. Not had a speed upgrade either, Is it a above inflation rise (so contract cancelling?).

Yeah i've been told i can cancel mine. Pay about £33.50 at the moment and could lock that in for another 18 months to avoid the increase and get the new "Superhub" or i could cancel. Tried ringing them to negotiate it down to £30 but got a flat no.

If you want to send me a Trust i can forward on my email so you can have a read.

Trying to decide whether to just stick with them. I've never had many issues and the price isn't bad.

Other option is Vodafone/Plus Net at £30 a month and get the benefit of Cashback.

Associate
Been chasing up the "free speed increase" today on their web chat help, they say I need to talk to retentions to get it !. Not had any emails from BT about the speed bump or price increase.

Vodafone have 80/20 on offer for £25.00 on black Friday deal including line rental, so might go with them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Who knows. I've got a customer near Bala that the checker says can have FTTP, so we ordered 22nd September. It's still in survey with BTOR - next update is due 17th November!

BTOR have finished the survey work for this FTTP order. The Excess Construction Charges / Fees are...

<drum roll>

£9728.15

</drum roll>

Ow.

Needless to say there is no longer an FTTP order.

Soldato
Nope, was an FTTP order. ISP it was ordered through doesn't deal with FTTPoD. Just noticed that if you look on the BTW checker now, FTTP doesn't show as available, just ADSL2+.
Sounds like OpenReach screwed up somewhere. Why else would they be providing a quote for the work? FTTP is a consumer product so doesn't have £000's up front install charge.

Soldato
Sounds like OpenReach screwed up somewhere. Why else would they be providing a quote for the work? FTTP is a consumer product so doesn't have £000's up front install charge.

I've been told BTOR cover the first £1000 of ECFs/ECCs on FTTP and for most installs that does the job. Just doing some digging to see if that is indeed incorrect for FTTP. I've had the cost breakdown through:

1*Survey = 245.14
1*8ml Pole=394.89
260m Duct Soft=7485.40
2*JMF4=1602.72
Total Cost: £9728.15

Build Days =72

Associate
z3kyuh8.jpg

Seems Infinity 1 package is now UPTO 76Mb for sure now. So the FREE upgrade is not actually free because after January they want to charge me what was Infinity 2 price anyway.
The email I had this morning is quite sneaky saying if I want to carry on paying the same price click here which takes me to the above screen shot. Basically Tick the box and sign up for another 18 month contract.
I have literally just signed up to a 12 month contract last month. Time to change I think :(

Caporegime
z3kyuh8.jpg

Seems Infinity 1 package is now UPTO 76Mb for sure now. So the FREE upgrade is not actually free because after January they want to charge me what was Infinity 2 price anyway.
The email I had this morning is quite sneaky saying if I want to carry on paying the same price click here which takes me to the above screen shot. Basically Tick the box and sign up for another 18 month contract.
I have literally just signed up to a 12 month contract last month. Time to change I think :(

Also noticed they've tacked on unlimited weekend calls as well, even if you don't have a phone. Is that at a monthly charge?

Standard sky pricing is £25 for 80/20 and £18.99 line rental. No price changes announced as yet but I'd be the last to find out. We have an offer of £8.99 off line rental on any fibre package though. BT seems very steep, even before any offers.

Soldato
Also noticed they've tacked on unlimited weekend calls as well, even if you don't have a phone. Is that at a monthly charge?

Standard sky pricing is £25 for 80/20 and £18.99 line rental. No price changes announced as yet but I'd be the last to find out. We have an offer of £8.99 off line rental on any fibre package though. BT seems very steep, even before any offers.

MissChief - is the £8.99 deal for existing sky customers ? Currently have TV, Broadband and landline and am not getting any deals as an existing customer ? Is there anything you can do :p ?

Otherwise will have to jump ship to BT for landline/broadband

Back
Top Bottom