BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Wouldn’t latency and capacity still be an issue with 5G?

Mobile internet is also really inconsistent. It’s passable because normally you are not doing serious work on your mobile.

You can easily get 40+mb on 4G but I’d never want to for example play a FPS game online using it.

From the article I linked to:

5G also promises reduced latency. According to the specification, there’s a maximum latency of 4 ms (milliseconds) on 5G instead of 20 ms on 4G LTE today. That will deliver a better experience, too.

Man of Honour
You can easily get 40+mb on 4G but I’d never want to for example play a FPS game online using it.

It will probably be the same story - 4G as above you can potentially see 20ms latency - but in reality it is very varied place to place - where I am now gaming on it is pretty much no different to playing online with ADSL with interleaving on - very steady ~30ms latency - but if I go even a few 100 meters up the road it is more like playing on dialup with a varied ~150ms latency (though a lot more bandwidth than dialup - still manages around 20Mbit/s albeit a bit sporadic).

I suspect 5G likewise will be fairly low and stable latency in some places and completely unplayable for any real gaming in others.

Man of Honour
If I may ask, did it cost a boatload?
I don't know the final price yet, but if the aggregation node is where I think it is (the surveying engineer was a bit vague) it should be less than £3k for the install, which will be paid using the gigabit voucher scheme. I just have to suck up the £100 + VAT fee to Cerberus for 12 months before I can switch to BT retail, Zen, Plusnet or anyone else offering native FTTP services. The quote should be back this week so my fingers are crossed.

Caporegime
I don't know the final price yet, but if the aggregation node is where I think it is (the surveying engineer was a bit vague) it should be less than £3k for the install, which will be paid using the gigabit voucher scheme. I just have to suck up the £100 + VAT fee to Cerberus for 12 months before I can switch to BT retail, Zen, Plusnet or anyone else offering native FTTP services. The quote should be back this week so my fingers are crossed.
So any idea what the price would be for someone who they have to pass to supply your service?

Caporegime
Sorry, perhaps I haven't had enough coffee so far today, what do you mean? Do you mean a neighbour wanting to order native FTTP after mine is potentially installed?
Yes. I know you got a discount for the number of properties passed, so if one of those houses wanted to order, any idea how much it would be?

Man of Honour
Yes. I know you got a discount for the number of properties passed, so if one of those houses wanted to order, any idea how much it would be?
It would be £700 ex VAT for each of my neighbours who would sign up. We get ~60 Mbit FTTC broadband currently so I am not sure if any would sign up. I'm going to wait for the confirmed build charge before I speak to any of them. There's 5 in total from the desktop quote.

Caporegime
It would be £700 ex VAT for each of my neighbours who would sign up. We get ~60 Mbit FTTC broadband currently so I am not sure if any would sign up. I'm going to wait for the confirmed build charge before I speak to any of them. There's 5 in total from the desktop quote.
I'd have to agree I can't see many signing up if they already have the option of decent FTTC. 60Mbps is more than fast enough for most people.

Soldato
Why can't get get unlimited mobile broadband? Landline is mostly unlimited and for obvious reasons mobile broadband would be so much better and more convenient!
Every time new WiFi standards come out promising better connections but they are never as reliable as wired. I expect the same to be true for mobile standards.

Associate
So I'm due to move into a new build property (fingers crossed) next month.

Currently with Virgin Media (of which I personally haven't had any issues with) but with it being a new build it won't be possible to use them now so have cancelled my contract with them and will need to move elsewhere.

The postcode for the new place has finally gone live so been looking into what options I have and it seems that the house can have Ultrafast fibre sent to it.

Naturally I had a look at BT and seen their offers but there are a few other places that Openreach has suggested with potentially better speeds/deals so I'm just wondering what the process would be in regards to getting a non known brand set up?

Caporegime
How do you mean a non-known brand? If your address is showing as live for FTTP then you approach other ISPs and place an order. If those ISPs don't offer FTTP then you can't have it from them.

BT are likely to be the cheapest option (especially once cashback, 'free' gift deals are taken into account), at least until Sky start offering FTTP.

Back
Top Bottom