BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
How do you mean a non-known brand? If your address is showing as live for FTTP then you approach other ISPs and place an order. If those ISPs don't offer FTTP then you can't have it from them.

BT are likely to be the cheapest option (especially once cashback, 'free' gift deals are taken into account), at least until Sky start offering FTTP.

Well until this morning I'd never heard of Zen or Cerberus so those to me would be a non-known brand.

So I purely have VM for it's BB. We only have the phone line because we have to - it's been unplugged for years and we just use our mobiles for any calls. Do companies like Zen/Cerberus provide the same type of deals or do you have to provide your own phone line (like from BT) then get the BB service on top?

Caporegime
If your fibre is FTTP then it's unlikely that anybody other than BT can even give you a telephone service. If it's G.fast then you'll have a line rental element to pay and will get a phone service, but this will usually be rolled into the monthly charge.

Associate
If your fibre is FTTP then it's unlikely that anybody other than BT can even give you a telephone service. If it's G.fast then you'll have a line rental element to pay and will get a phone service, but this will usually be rolled into the monthly charge.

So in that case it's just easier to go with BT and their packages then?

Associate
No, Zen and others can sell you FTTP without having to buy a phone line from anybody else.

This is my point then? What others (bar Zen as it seems they provide FTTP which includes line rental) can sell me these types of deals?

Can you even just buy FTTP without having to get a phone line?

Sorry for all the questions - had VM been put down in the area where our new build is then I would have more than likely stuck with them. Haha

Caporegime
This is my point then? What others (bar Zen as it seems they provide FTTP which includes line rental) can sell me these types of deals?

Can you even just buy FTTP without having to get a phone line?

Sorry for all the questions - had VM been put down in the area where our new build is then I would have more than likely stuck with them. Haha
FTTP doesn't even include a copper line, some just add a phone service on in the hope you'll make calls and they can make money from it.

Caporegime
I have emailed Zen regarding the Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme, they are showing up as a supplier so be interesting to see what they come back with, when I last spoke to them about FTTPoD they were not interested.

https://gigabitvoucher.culture.gov.uk

Looking at the site it mentions small businesses and residents implying only for groups or collectives rather than individual houses?

Man of Honour
Anyone else having problems like this on BT FTTC recently? sites like moneysavingsexpert block me with an application firewall error, Netflix refuses to stream citing unblocker or proxy detected, some other video sites throw up a message claiming out of region (despite my IP geolocating to the UK correctly) and google keeps thinking I'm a robot, etc. etc. if I reconnected a few times forcing a new IP after 2-3 times everything works fine but if I reconnect 50/50 same issue happens until I reconnect another 2-3 times - doesn't happen on my 4G or backup connection so seems like either some backend shared security/anti-spam service some sites are using is malfunctioning and/or a range of BT IPs are blacklisted due to some kind of abuse? or BT has something configured incorrectly.

EDIT: Had some family staying over the same time so small chance one of them has something either intentionally or malware on a laptop or phone that is triggering it somehow but I've not seen anything obvious in the router logs.

Soldato
Are you using a VPN? They can cause all of the issues above.

Places like netflicks block known vpn IPs
VPNs often have ad block built in which some sites don’t like
Potentially hundreds of people from the same IP hitting the same site will trigger anti attack mechanisms.

Man of Honour
I don't use a VPN for accessing stuff like Netflix - we use them a bit as people work from home here sometimes, etc. but I'm accessing these sites directly.

EDIT: Guests are gone and so far no reoccurrences so possibly they had some kind of malware or something that was getting the IP blacklisted :( can't see anything unusual in the router logs but I'm not doing any kind of snooping/deep inspection of activity.

Last edited:
Soldato
The HG612 3B can be used as a router but it's more commonly used as a modem with a seperate router. If you're wanting a seperate modem then it's a very solid choice.

However, it doesn't have any wifi kit in it so if you're after a new wireless router you need to look elsewhere.

Soldato
The HG612 3B can be used as a router but it's more commonly used as a modem with a seperate router. If you're wanting a seperate modem then it's a very solid choice.

However, it doesn't have any wifi kit in it so if you're after a new wireless router you need to look elsewhere.

Sorry! Meant the HG612 3B paired with whatever router together.

Back
Top Bottom