BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
So BT have released me from contract as openreach are unable to fix (Worrying) my GFAST from dropping 2 - 3 times a day.
TBH the speed boost is nice but i wont be re-joining an ISP for gfast.

Soldato
So BT have released me from contract as openreach are unable to fix (Worrying) my GFAST from dropping 2 - 3 times a day.
TBH the speed boost is nice but i wont be re-joining an ISP for gfast.

I have working g.fast but no telephony (BT ceased PSTN on a ported number), OR stated I should be on SOGEA and swapped faceplates for a VoIP which along with removing the PSTN service/power sorted g.fast (yay). Now BT claim SOGEA doesn't exist despite providing them with links/photo's of the faceplate and confirmation i'm in a pilot area. They seemingly haven't got a clue when it comes to g.fast.

Associate
I have working g.fast but no telephony (BT ceased PSTN on a ported number), OR stated I should be on SOGEA and swapped faceplates for a VoIP which along with removing the PSTN service/power sorted g.fast (yay). Now BT claim SOGEA doesn't exist despite providing them with links/photo's of the faceplate and confirmation i'm in a pilot area. They seemingly haven't got a clue when it comes to g.fast.

Yes it is slightly worrying - more so the boost engineers that attended all have no idea how to fix the problems and said its all new to them! One engineer seemed the better of the bunch but still unable to fix even after moving the port i am on and telling me it was all sorted :rolleyes:

Hopefully they will sort your issue. To be honest BT retail were pretty good at booking and escalating the problem but openreach engineers definitely need more product training on GFAST.

Soldato
Yes it is slightly worrying - more so the boost engineers that attended all have no idea how to fix the problems and said its all new to them! One engineer seemed the better of the bunch but still unable to fix even after moving the port i am on and telling me it was all sorted :rolleyes:

Hopefully they will sort your issue. To be honest BT retail were pretty good at booking and escalating the problem but openreach engineers definitely need more product training on GFAST.

OR I got an install tech doing his first ever g.fast install. Faults wise excluding the no show's i've been lucky, unfortunately the person i'm dealing with (CEO's office) hasn't got a clue/isn't willing to listen and now wants to reinstate POTS on the line, the very thing that was removed and increased stability dramatically, she's that focused on the acronym voip and it not being available to a residential customer, that she's failed to grasp the bigger picture and still hasn't asked the most basic question... what do I want. It was my phone number back, now i'm that fed up i'd happily give up on the telephony side at this stage - I can sort VoIP myself and have the hardware :(

Soldato
I've just taken BT up on their free fibre upgrade from my previous normal broadband. Got the smart hub today. Hooked it up and can't get internet :mad:

The website suggests a 20minute call will get things sorted. After 30 mins of hanging up tones and what sounded like a fire alarm as well as the usual clicks as they test things I've now been on the phone for an hour. Only just heard another couple of clicks. Is this normal cos I don't want to give up and have to start it all over again :rolleyes:

Edit
4 calls and a bit of progress made. 4 line tests and the final guy managed to tell me there's a fault on the line with openreach :rolleyes:
I'll be getting a call back at some point in the next 24hrs to see when it should be fixed. Complaint logged as well.

Edit again
One step forward two steps back yesterday. Got a call back while I was at work. What colour is the light on your hub...back to square 1. Explained I was at work so would have to phone them back. Did so in the evening and they wanted to do a test. Explain I've gone through that and there is a fault outside. The person said they had to do it regardless. Went through the process and they told me there was a fault outside .....:rolleyes: should get the call back from one of the managers today though but I'm not holding my breath

Last edited:
Soldato
Brilliant. I finally got round to ringing BT about our issues and they decided to send an engineer round.

I've just had a text saying they've found an issue at the local exchnage and are cancelling my visit. Why the **** couldn't they have found that weeks ago!

Soldato
I figured they'd have some form of monitoring rather than waiting for people to ring them.

I'm not actually too bothered about it (i get my posted sounded more irate than i am). It's still been usable and the only issues come when trying to do too much at once. Makes me wonder if anyone else in the area has actually noticed any difference in their speeds.

Caporegime
I figured they'd have some form of monitoring rather than waiting for people to ring them.

I'm not actually too bothered about it (i get my posted sounded more irate than i am). It's still been usable and the only issues come when trying to do too much at once. Makes me wonder if anyone else in the area has actually noticed any difference in their speeds.
Any tests are intrusive, they'll cut your broadband off as well as any phone calls in progress so they're not allowed to routinely test the line without customer permission.

Soldato
Another week, another installer who called me and hard noped his way to the next job (2nd in a row, 3rd out of four total). Mind you telling me he was down to remove my g.fast, install a new line and it would be about two weeks before Alan (the only g.fast installer in the area) could get to me to enable g.fast again didn’t go down that well. BT claim this wasn’t what they requested and blame OR, they also seem to think that they are going to get my ported in number back that RTD’d on the 21/12... Unless something has drastically changed with the erroneous RTD process I foresee that being a problem.

Associate
Another week, another installer who called me and hard noped his way to the next job (2nd in a row, 3rd out of four total). Mind you telling me he was down to remove my g.fast, install a new line and it would be about two weeks before Alan (the only g.fast installer in the area) could get to me to enable g.fast again didn’t go down that well. BT claim this wasn’t what they requested and blame OR, they also seem to think that they are going to get my ported in number back that RTD’d on the 21/12... Unless something has drastically changed with the erroneous RTD process I foresee that being a problem.

Hope they sort it out for you, really feel your pain on the Gfast front.

So Sky take control of my line and there FTTC service starts on Monday so my GFAST nightmare disconnections is hopefully over.

Soldato
Hope they sort it out for you, really feel your pain on the Gfast front.

So Sky take control of my line and there FTTC service starts on Monday so my GFAST nightmare disconnections is hopefully over.

TBH having spent years fixing port problems with erroneous RTD’s linked with complaints, unless they have revised the process, we are way, way past the timescale for re-porting the number. I’ve raised this and been told that’s not the case. @MissChief seeing as you are in this thread and are likely best placed to know the current answer, what is Sky’s official process on allowing a disconnected port to be re-ported out? From memory it was 7 working days or so, in which case i’ll politely tell BT to shove it as it’s been off since 21/12.

Caporegime
TBH having spent years fixing port problems with erroneous RTD’s linked with complaints, unless they have revised the process, we are way, way past the timescale for re-porting the number. I’ve raised this and been told that’s not the case. @MissChief seeing as you are in this thread and are likely best placed to know the current answer, what is Sky’s official process on allowing a disconnected port to be re-ported out? From memory it was 7 working days or so, in which case i’ll politely tell BT to shove it as it’s been off since 21/12.
Not sure what you mean? You're cancelling with your current provider and looking to move to Sky?

Soldato
Not sure what you mean? You're cancelling with your current provider and looking to move to Sky?

Ported line out from Sky to BT, BT erroniiusly booked a cease on the line as part of a g.fast migration, number will have been RTD’d (Return to Donor) 21/12 or there about. I raised it with them at the time as the process historically only gave BT something like 7 working days to re-request the number back from Sky. My question is has that process changed? If not then i’m jumping through hoops for no reason as BT will be unable to re-port it over as it’s way past the cut off.

Caporegime
Ported line out from Sky to BT, BT erroniiusly booked a cease on the line as part of a g.fast migration, number will have been RTD’d (Return to Donor) 21/12 or there about. I raised it with them at the time as the process historically only gave BT something like 7 working days to re-request the number back from Sky. My question is has that process changed? If not then i’m jumping through hoops for no reason as BT will be unable to re-port it over as it’s way past the cut off.
Depends who the original range holder is as the number will have been returned to them. I know we can't pick or choose numbers that are assigned on activation, only one from a range of 'our' numbers.

Back
Top Bottom