BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Cool, thanks :) Kinda surprised that it works at that line length. I'd kill for G.Fast right about now.

On the upper profile with similar line lengths 248/37 is the best i’ve seen with no power on the pair - however I’m currently down to 210ish from memory with some internal wiring to replace and power left on :(

Finally, I back up my whole media library of 50TB to the cloud every night.

Firstly, a VPS or remote dedicated server will be cheaper and offer up to 10Gb connectivity and secondly it’s utterly pointless doing a ‘full’ backup nightly, do an incramental.

Soldato
On the upper profile with similar line lengths 248/37 is the best i’ve seen with no power on the pair - however I’m currently down to 210ish from memory with some internal wiring to replace and power left on :(.

Oh cool, thanks :) I have no idea how long my line is, but I'd guess around 500m which means G.Fast wouldn't help me. I can get Virgin Media but I think I'd rather not have access to the Internet than deal with their **** network ever again.

Soldato
Oh cool, thanks :) I have no idea how long my line is, but I'd guess around 500m which means G.Fast wouldn't help me. I can get Virgin Media but I think I'd rather not have access to the Internet than deal with their **** network ever again.

I can throw stones at my local exchange from my back garden, unfortunately it’s the route the cable takes that’s important. If you can get VM, then get VM, it’s likely the best option at this stage.

Last edited:
Soldato
Update with BT ping issues:

I'm seeing a lot of complains about it in their forums and BT are refusing to admit there are issue within their network, many people got told to turn off the devices or upgrade their package LOL ! some people are taking this further and complaining to directly to OFCOM/ emailing BT CEO about it as the broadband is unfit for streaming and gaming which is clearly what their BT superfast are advertised for.

As for me I'm terminating my contract and switching to Sky, if you are a gamer or live in a busy household do not use BT.
I was having to similar issues - narrowed it down to when someone (anyone...) in the household was streaming Netflix - it would make my ping go completely awol.
High for a second .. normal for a second .. etc

Still can’t find a fix, neither can BT.
If you google it there’s hundreds of posts

Man of Honour
I was having to similar issues - narrowed it down to when someone (anyone...) in the household was streaming Netflix - it would make my ping go completely awol.
High for a second .. normal for a second .. etc

Still can’t find a fix, neither can BT.
If you google it there’s hundreds of posts

Netflix streams in bursts - you'll need to enforce bandwidth limits in some way to avoid it spiking your ping.

Soldato
I know, but even then it’s excessive.
When my fibre went down and Bt provided a 4g router the issue ironically was fixed, so something still isn’t right

Associate
There is no fix other than switching ISP. It's not only just Netflix, a simple YouTube or even Spotify will cause your ping to spike. I tested opening a 1080p twitch stream and playing at mate who has only 17 MB download/4 up via sky and the ping was steady 20 ms. So it must be BT servers and they can't bother to fix it.

Associate
There is no fix other than switching ISP. It's not only just Netflix, a simple YouTube or even Spotify will cause your ping to spike. I tested opening a 1080p twitch stream and playing at mate who has only 17 MB download/4 up via sky and the ping was steady 20 ms. So it must be BT servers and they can't bother to fix it.

I'm with BT and just tried to reproduce your problem but couldn't so it's definitely not affecting everyone.

Soldato
I can throw stones at my local exchange from my back garden, unfortunately it’s the route the cable takes that’s important. If you can get VM, then get VM, it’s likely the best option at this stage.

I have my neighbour's WiFi password for his 100mbit Virgin Media connection, and every time I test it I'm disappointed. The download speeds are inconsistent (I just tested it and he's getting at best 12mbit on speedtest.net), and when you upload something the entire connection comes to a grinding halt. It could be his SuperHub though. I have an Ubiquiti AP so I would hope it would be a better experience, but I don't think I'm prepared to take the risk (again).

Caporegime
I have my neighbour's Wifi password for his 100mbit Virgin Media connection, and every time I test it I'm disappointed. The download speeds are inconsistent (I just tested it and he's getting at best 12mbit on speedtest.net), and when you upload something the entire connection comes to a grinding halt. It could be his SuperHub though. I have an Ubiquiti AP so I would hope it would be a better experience, but I don't think I'm prepared to take the risk (again).
There's your issue.

Soldato
Changing it anyway because I don't like it, but is my Q hub faulty or is it just crap?

When I was on bt infinity, I used to use an hg612. Super stable, would hardly ever lose sync. Months of uptime was not uncommon.

Sky hub, also broadcom, longest it's held sync is about 2 weeks or so. Occasionally seems to have a stroke as well and will drop and resync a few times in a couple of minutes. That's pretty rare though. Sync and noise margin is always the same.

Doesn't do anything frequent enough to anger dlm, but still the 612 never used to do it. Is it just crap or is the hg612 just super stable?

Thanks.

Soldato
I bought a HG612 after going through 3 Homehub 5s some years ago all 3 eventually killed themselves after a short period of time, and it's been rock soild ever since, Not sure why but i'm having a sneaking suspicion the HH was simply not powerful enough to be both a modem and router.

Don't know about the new Home Hub 6, I gave mine away as it never had a WAN port and i'm perfectly happy with my HG612/HH5 set up.

Associate
I’ve just switched to talk talk faster fibre boost. Im using the hg612 now. Was using plusnet hub one and getting 60mb sync. Now switched to hg612 with talk talk and getting 40mbs. No g.inp enabled and snr reset to 6db on down. Internet went down last night for 2 mins at 10.30 so must be done remotely now. Only issue now is Vodafone price is £22.99 and I’m paying £26.50 for talk talk

Soldato
I’ve just switched to talk talk faster fibre boost. Im using the hg612 now. Was using plusnet hub one and getting 60mb sync. Now switched to hg612 with talk talk and getting 40mbs. No g.inp enabled and snr reset to 6db on down. Internet went down last night for 2 mins at 10.30 so must be done remotely now. Only issue now is Vodafone price is £22.99 and I’m paying £26.50 for talk talk

If I remember correctly, the TalkTalk Fibre boost thing or whatever they call it only takes effect when you power cycle the modem. I'm 99.9999% sure I had the same problem, and the SNR eventually trickled down to 3dB.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I still use an unlocked HG612 with my Asus AC 86U. the thing is bulletproof. Never loses sync, ever.

Just be sure to turn off QOS in the 612's settings to boost your upload speeds.

Back
Top Bottom