BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Man of Honour
I'd maybe hold out for PlusNet. I've moved to them from Zen about 2 years ago and if they offer me a decent renewal price again I'll be staying put.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would love to pick them but they're £10 dearer than everyone else. Whether that £10 is worth it in customer service, etc. I'd like to know.

You'll never know until it breaks. General consensus is they are top notch. At the end of the day it's an Openreach product so it WILL break at some point, the value is in dealing with UK based people who are good at their job and likely won't follow a script.

Caporegime
You'll never know until it breaks. General consensus is they are top notch. At the end of the day it's an Openreach product so it WILL break at some point, the value is in dealing with UK based people who are good at their job and likely won't follow a script.

Yeah, I think I will go with them. It's still £9 cheaper than what I pay now. Just need to wait a few days until Plusnet have fully cancelled the order and refunded my money.

Associate
I would love to pick them but they're £10 dearer than everyone else. Whether that £10 is worth it in customer service, etc. I'd like to know.

Well as for me the reason why i went with zen is because of customer service.

For me in my experience the customer service is better indeed when compared to virgin media's customer service so i give zen that one, but how much better well i don't know but they are uk based and do not read scripts.

Personally in my experience zen is not perfect and indeed they are more expensive, so for me i am eyeing sky broadband if we ever change isp to give them a go.

We had a billing error from zen but zen fixed that otherwise we would have paid over £100 on the bill, when we already had a telephone package so that was fixed.

Apart from that which has put me off a bit from zen, also don't fully believe the reviews but they are an indicator of how good the service is.

Dan.

Caporegime
Well as for me the reason why i went with zen is because of customer service.

For me in my experience the customer service is better indeed when compared to virgin media's customer service so i give zen that one, but how much better well i don't know but they are uk based and do not read scripts.

Personally in my experience zen is not perfect and indeed they are more expensive, so for me i am eyeing sky broadband if we ever change isp to give them a go.

We had a billing error from zen but zen fixed that otherwise we would have paid over £100 on the bill, when we already had a telephone package so that was fixed.

Apart from that which has put me off a bit from zen, also don't fully believe the reviews but they are an indicator of how good the service is.

Dan.

Zen pay their techs a good bit more than your average call centre worker and they often have networking or tech backgrounds rather than Doris who's coming back to work part time in the evenings now little Tommy has started nursery and gets thrown in at the deep end with broadband tech and 4 weeks training.

Soldato
Be aware if you are going to move to BT or any ISP owned by BT: EE, Plusnet etc....
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...-multiplayer-lag-spikes-during-streaming.html
Glad now websites picked up on this after we had to deal with this for a full year.

It doesn't affect EE or Plusnet traffic. The problem is isolated to BT ISP traffic. If you read the entire article you can see that the cause is starting to become apparent as well. May be worth reading links before posting them with a misformed claim in advance?

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
The issues is also within EE and Plusnet you can check their forums by simple Google ping spikes whilst Netflix.
So yeah since they belong to BT then they should be in the avoid list.
https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Broad...me-Video-causes-lag-spikes-when-I/td-p/783770
https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Constant-ping-spikes/td-p/1607392
Plenty of other threads so yeah the problem is not isolated to BT only mate. Sky/talk talk/Vodafone do not have this issue at all.

The article you linked refers to BT ISP traffic which has been confirmed and are starting to show it may be because of cached content taking a higher prioirity.
Plusnet and EE and Zen and X and Y traffic are routed differently.

BT ISP is the key wording there, not BT Group companies.

Also your PN link looks to be because of an under performing line. You should post another link without fully reading it and you'll have a hat trick!

Associate
Ok thanks for the explanation. I'm just paranoid, I had the worst experience with BT that it made not want to deal with any ISP related with BT.

Shame I'm stuck with openreach because Virgin refuses to cover small towns. I had the worst possible service from BT that even the ping spikes happened when no one was using the internet.

After months of complaining, I got put on a new server which reduced the ping spikes massively from several everyday to maybe once or twice a week, but I still cannot game when someone is even playing a Facebook video. It's ridiculous that BT customers are paying premium price compared to other ISP but we are getting nothing but unstable broadband.

Soldato
After months of complaining, I got put on a new server which reduced the ping spikes massively from several everyday to maybe once or twice a week, but I still cannot game when someone is even playing a Facebook video. It's ridiculous that BT customers are paying premium price compared to other ISP but we are getting nothing but unstable broadband.

At least it looks to be being taken seriously now and that there is potentially going to be a fix if BT deem your gaming traffic a higher or equal priority to streamed content.

Soldato
You realise things are not rosey with Virgin right?

Some parts of their network are shocking, your speeds can be heavily effected by what your neighbours are doing. Latency can be higher and more inconsistent. Its really pot luck to how subscribed the area is and how much people at using when you want to use it.

For gaming you are generally better on FTTC.

Soldato
Has anyone used vodafone ?

Im thinking of leaving VM and joining someone else the only problem I see is everyone outside VM has a 18 month contract except a company called onestream who ive never heard of and I would need a line with everyone wants to charge me for so any discount im getting per a month on lower speeds is void.

Soldato
Thinking of moving from VM 350/35 (or more like 350/22... but that’s another story...) to 300/50.

Currently paying about £46 but my main question is how do BT assign IP addresses?

With VM I’ve had the same IP for years, does BT do the same (I regularly VPN in + host a small web server so a static IP is a must - even if I use a dynamic DNS service).

From googling around it looks like every time you reboot the modem you get a new IP?

Associate
Has anyone used vodafone ?

Im thinking of leaving VM and joining someone else the only problem I see is everyone outside VM has a 18 month contract except a company called onestream who ive never heard of and I would need a line with everyone wants to charge me for so any discount im getting per a month on lower speeds is void.

Vodafone have a lot of issues with throttling, for example Twitch/any streaming website. They don't have ping issues though.

Back
Top Bottom