BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
What's BT FON?

It's public WIFI service provided by BT. Every BT router advertises it and you can't disable it on the device you need to do it via the BT webpage. Seen reports of it getting re-enabled after a firmware update on the hub and users unable to get it disabled so glad I can use my existing router without a performance hit as I didn't think my current router had a fast enough CPU to support 1Gbps internet traffic routing.

Soldato
It's public WIFI service provided by BT. Every BT router advertises it and you can't disable it on the device you need to do it via the BT webpage. Seen reports of it getting re-enabled after a firmware update on the hub and users unable to get it disabled so glad I can use my existing router without a performance hit as I didn't think my current router had a fast enough CPU to support 1Gbps internet traffic routing.
Would it be disabled if you completely disable the WiFi on the router like I plan on doing.

Soldato
Hi All upgraded to fibre 900, my donwloads only 500, I have tested on multiple items with cat 7 ethernet/cat6 etc etc

Not sure why this is, my upload is 115 though =\

Mine took around 30 minutes to reach the full speeds after it was connected seemed to be stuck on a 50/50 profile before going 350 then 500 and onto 1000. It appeared to be moving up the speed profiles. Might be worth rebooting the ONT and router.

I get 940-960Mbps on speed checks and can max out downloading from newsgroups Steam downloads sit around 700Mbps.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Back in the FTTC days i remember getting a regrade from 40 to 80mbit. I had to disconnect the session for a good 30mins to remove some sort of cap. Worth a try?

Soldato
Hi All upgraded to fibre 900, my donwloads only 500, I have tested on multiple items with cat 7 ethernet/cat6 etc etc

Not sure why this is, my upload is 115 though =\

This is more or less where I started off last week after my upgrade, same download issues.

Your ONT is a modem, so you can hook it straight up to your computer, create a PPoE connection ( [email protected], password ) and try a speed test there.

I personally found windows limited this to 100mbps so I used Linux to get the results I wanted. Then worked out where the issue was.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been under the crawl space today running some more Cat6, found an air brick at the front of the house that already has an earth bonding wire to the gas meter going through it. On the other side is easy access so hopefully the optical cable will fit through an air brick hole. Its then a case of running the same way as the earth cable goes.
Drilled a hole in the floor under the stairs as well ready.

Anyone know how big a hole is required?

Soldato
Capture.png

heres some from speedtest...

Capture.png

Anyone seen any deals in regards to the 900mb package ?
i'm paying £55 had to explain the ridiculous price promise to them and log a complaint to get it at that.... someone got it for £50.
This is more or less where I started off last week after my upgrade, same download issues.

Your ONT is a modem, so you can hook it straight up to your computer, create a PPoE connection ( [email protected], password ) and try a speed test there.

I personally found windows limited this to 100mbps so I used Linux to get the results I wanted. Then worked out where the issue was.

thanks i think others have hit the speed on windows, spoke to BT who said it'll fix itself through the day - ( i hope so...) did reboot the ONT ( switched off for 30 seconds) and the router to factory etc etc

Back
Top Bottom