BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
He's confirmed, it's Nokia. I think the newer ones might be single port rather than the Huawei which I have which has 4 ports.

By default they've been single port for about 2 years, maybe more. It's still possible to get multi port (I think it's 4, but can't remember) ONT's but they need to be specifically ordered.

There's no telephone socket on current ONT's either, not that Openreach did much with them anyway.

Soldato
Is it a new install? They used to be Huawei but I believe the later ones are Nokia. Lemme text my Openreach mate and I’ll update to confirm as all he does is FTTP planning stuff.
He's confirmed, it's Nokia. I think the newer ones might be single port rather than the Huawei which I have which has 4 ports.

Thanks mate, I appreciate that. I thought I said in my post, but I did edit it so must have removed it... We have Openreach FTTP coming this year or next according to OR website. Currently, the street two behind ours is live in every direction, and we're the empty island in the middle with no service. Because of that, I'm guessing it's going to be SoonTM.

I'm planning ahead to upgrade and migrate my home network and servers to 10Gb. I need to tidy up some of my runs and mount a rack frame to the wall to move things out of the way, plus some other bits. I can't wait to ditch VM, it's never too early to get excited. :p

It will be Nokia, no you can't specify. They are all the same in terms of their abilities to deliver the service.

That's not true, unfortunately, hence my asking. An ONT should act as a dumb bridge device, but unfortunately Calix ONTs are known to interfere with packets by design. Microsoft Office 365 employee and FreeBSD Ports maintainer Neel Chauhan discovered (to his detriment) that Calix ONTs are purposefully designed to throttle and choke your connection if you use 'too many' concurrent TCP connections.

His gigabit fibre was slowed to a crawl and then stopped working, but existing sessions/connections worked fine. Long story short, his ISP contacted Calix and they confirmed this was 'by design', and that the ONT actively throttles you under guise of DoS prevention if you use it 'too much'. Obviously given that I run a fair number of servers and will be behind a /28 of IPs, I don't want a service with a Calix ONT!

Caporegime
Should clarify that I meant all Openreach ONTs are the same. AFAIK there's no Calix in the network. CityFibre use Calix but I've never seen any reports of this issue.

Soldato
That's not true, unfortunately, hence my asking. An ONT should act as a dumb bridge device, but unfortunately Calix ONTs are known to interfere with packets by design. Microsoft Office 365 employee and FreeBSD Ports maintainer Neel Chauhan discovered (to his detriment) that Calix ONTs are purposefully designed to throttle and choke your connection if you use 'too many' concurrent TCP connections.

I have a Calix ONT (801G) on Vodafone's CityFibre, and I've tried to see if I can reproduce what you've mentioned, but doesn't seem to affect me.
Mikrotik Router infront of the ONT.

9mcEeOU.png

The ONT mentioned in that post seems to be quite old from what I can see, haven't looked in-depth into it just a quick glance.
So possibly affected only those old ONT's & since been fixed?

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Openreach Publish Next 36 UK FTTP Broadband Rollout Areas

Accrington – Lancashire
Boldon – Tyne and Wear
Brierley Hill – West Midlands
Dudley – West Midlands
Freckleton – Lancashire
Goodmayes – Greater London
Harrow – Greater London
Harrowden – Northamptonshire
Henley on Thames – Oxfordshire
Hornchurch – Greater London
Hounslow – Greater London
Kempston – Bedfordshire
Kemptown – East Sussex
Kingswinford – West Midlands
Kirby Muxloe – Leicestershire
Kneller Hall – Greater London
Knutsford – Cheshire
Manningham – West Yorkshire
Middleton – Greater Manchester
Montfort – Leicestershire
Mortlake – Greater London
Moulton – Northamptonshire
Pontefract – West Yorkshire
Priory – West Midlands
Richmond – Greater London
Sandal – West Yorkshire
Seacroft – West Yorkshire
South Shields – Tyne and Wear
South Shore – Lancashire
Teddington – Greater London
Turton – Lancashire
Upminster – Greater London
Wanstead – Greater London
Washington – Tyne and Wear
Westhoughton – Greater Manchester
Whitburn – Tyne and Wear

Soldato

Accrington – Lancashire
Boldon – Tyne and Wear
Dudley – West Midlands
Freckleton – Lancashire
Harrow – Greater London
Kempston – Bedfordshire
Kemptown – East Sussex
Knutsford – Cheshire
Priory – West Midlands
Sandal – West Yorkshire
South Shore – Lancashire
Turton – Lancashire
Whitburn – Tyne and Wear

So close yet so far. My town is finally listed, but looking at OR's map, it's the top half and not the bottom half. It stops right at a road that already has FTTP which is a minute walk away. Why you got to tease me like this OR :(.

Soldato

Accrington – Lancashire
Boldon – Tyne and Wear
Dudley – West Midlands
Freckleton – Lancashire
Harrow – Greater London
Kempston – Bedfordshire
Kemptown – East Sussex
Knutsford – Cheshire
Priory – West Midlands
Sandal – West Yorkshire
South Shore – Lancashire
Turton – Lancashire
Whitburn – Tyne and Wear

Finally some good FTTP news :) looking at OR’s plans, it’s potentially between now and 2025, but at least it’s planned.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been enjoying watching OR running overhead FTTP in my area lately. We were announced for FTTP a month and a half ago to be completed by 2024 and almost the next day the poles shot up. There now lokos to be a connectorised termination box on every pole, some with more ports than others to accomodate higher density poles.
That then led to a low level joint further up the street which as of a week ago was lifted to higher level.

I'm hopeful that there isn't a lot more to do, it looks like it's ready to go from the street.

Soldato
Out of interest what do people pay for the faster BT connections? I'm paying £25/month for 32/4 which was the fastest I could get when i took a 24 month fix a couple of years ago, typically about 6 months latter fttp was available in my street so I've just stuck since then. It's up in August but looking at my options to upgrade only gives me the full price offers which is £70 for 900/110, intrigued to see what the retention deals bring it down to and how close to contract expiry do retention deals typically become available, would it be 3 months prior?

Caporegime
Sky just sent me an email saying they now do 900mb, only £5 more that my 150mb with BT.
Contact is up in June a well.

Just seen an advert for it on TV. I wonder what you have to do as an existing customer to get it. Will go and have a look on their website.

No chance, paying £42/month for 500mb currently and it's plenty quick enough.

I'm 50/50 (not speed - mind set). As you say, 500Mbits seems plenty quick enough - very easy to just queue a game up, go and make a cup of tea and it's halfway done. But if the option is there to go faster... ;)

V F

V F

Soldato
I'm 50/50 (not speed - mind set). As you say, 500Mbits seems plenty quick enough - very easy to just queue a game up, go and make a cup of tea and it's halfway done. But if the option is there to go faster... ;)

True . Usually most are done by the time you've made that cup of tea unless it's those 80GB+ games. Usually the 80GB+ is done in 15 to 25 minutes. Though, imagine that thought... 137GB game done in 5 minutes.

Caporegime
True . Usually most are done by the time you've made that cup of tea unless it's those 80GB+ games. Usually the 80GB+ is done in 15 to 25 minutes. Though, imagine that thought... 137GB game done in 5 minutes.

Cor, is that how long it would take to download Gears 5? 5 minutes. Dayum. You’ve stoked the fire now. :D Wouldn’t even need to upgrade the SSD in either of the consoles if the downloads are that quick.

V F

V F

Soldato
Somebody I think... August/September last year here, on the 990 package said they downloaded GTA V and something else within 7 minutes I think it was. I could be wrong but it was fast for such big games.

I know on mine the 515 package, the new Horizon Dawn game downloaded in 25 minutes and the PS4 wasn't maxing out the connection. Which was 89GB?

Caporegime
Somebody I think... August/September last year here, on the 990 package said they downloaded GTA V and something else within 7 minutes I think it was. I could be wrong but it was fast for such big games.

I had a quick look, it’s 20 minutes for 130-odd GB but that’s still quicker than the 35-40 with 500MBits. :D And all for a couple more quid each week.

V F

V F

Soldato
I had a quick look, it’s 20 minutes for 130-odd GB but that’s still quicker than the 35-40 with 500MBits. :D And all for a couple more quid each week.

Sounds about right. Now that I remember, think he got it in 14 - 17 minutes.

Imagine downloading at 300MB/s. Your download time for 130GB would be 7 minutes.

Soldato
I could do with some advice on what to do, as my current 3 year Plusnet fibre deal is coming to an end.
  • I currently have Superfast Fibre (FTTC) and get 76Mb/s download, which is fine for me.
  • On the deal that's ending, I pay £26.99 monthly (£7 for the broadband, £19.99 for the line rental)
  • I don't use the landline - so the line rental is literally only needed for the broadband.
I'd like to stick with Plusnet and this speed, as my internet has been reliable for 5+ years now.

But when my deal ends, my bills are going up to £45.57 monthly, which is a huge jump.

Any ideas on either negotiating a new long term deal to stay with Plusnet, or switching to a cheaper elsewhere?

Back
Top Bottom