BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Orders been confirmed and I have an activation date 10 days from now :D:D:D

Edit: Zen have confirmed a AM install. I can't wait to be rid of this peasent internet.

Last edited:
Soldato
What does the zen 900 cost? Paying £55 to bt for the same at the moment.

Probably going to drop back to 150 or 300 at some point near contract end, everything else getting more expensive may as well save a bit of interwebs.
Sky is £55 as well, plus a decent cashback and can be had without the £20 setup fee.

Soldato
Not bad, good to see prices staying reasonable, BT like to bump the prices up every april as well and 2 year contract really sucks.

I'll re-evaluate nearer end of contract next April, paying £55/mo is OK for now and is about the same as the alternatives anyway.

Soldato
Vodafone offering 900Mb for £45 with £95 cashback - been on their 500 service (£29/month) for a few months now and rock solid - no different to the BT service I had prior.

Reactions: KIA
Soldato
Yeah BT has been rock solid for me, I guess the main difference between BT and Vodafone is going to be support, and the router they give you to use.

I'll stick here until April anyway as my phone is also with BT and on discount from being a broadband customer, I'm not out of contract so I'd have to pay exit fees as well.

Soldato
Yeah BT has been rock solid for me, I guess the main difference between BT and Vodafone is going to be support, and the router they give you to use.

I'll stick here until April anyway as my phone is also with BT and on discount from being a broadband customer, I'm not out of contract so I'd have to pay exit fees as well.
The one occasion I had to contact Vodafone when I had FTTC a few years back they were pretty good, had an engineer sorted the next morning. I've also had a few calls with them as i'm a mobile customer of theirs, standard middle of the road support - not great but not bad either.

As for the router, i'm a simple user, wired PC, wired TV, few devices via wifi - does the job for me and they throw in the extender as well so I get signal in garden/garage.

One thing in Vodafone's favour, they send you a 4G dongle with a sim from the start of the contract, so if internet goes down at all, you're straight back online. The BT halo package means you have to wait a day for it to come through if you get disconnected.

I would quite happily have stayed with BT but they wanted £50 for a 500 or £65 for a 900 connection, it was laughable after being a customer 9 out of the last 10 years. They wouldn't even entertain giving me a new customer price despite multiple calls and speaking with different agents.

Soldato
Weird they're usually pretty good with offering me reasonable deals on the phone, especially if near end of contract.
Yeah, historically they've been ok but this year they weren't having any of it, I think I had 4 calls in total. Maybe as I was due a renewal about March time when the prices were all going up, not sure. They have however shown that customer loyalty means nothing to them.

Soldato
Weirdly BT don't seem all that interest in keeping me, not offered anything in the way of a decent offer. Just a letter saying sorry to see your leaving.

Oh we'll I've never had any issues between BT, Sky and Plusnet so I go with who ever is cheapest.

Associate
I heard CityFibre is coming to the Town and starting work in one area abit far from me, other side of town. There is no "Progress" page on their website to tell you when they'll get to your area or a rough ETA. I phoned CityFibre up and they did'nt have a clue.
They have a twitter page but that's mostly for PR stuff. Wish they had more accurate information on their websites

Caporegime
I must say it's great living in a semi-rural area and finally being able to benefit from the much-touted investment in the country's broadband.

A long way still to go for some people I'm sure, but suddenly having 500Mb for £40 per month when I've been paying £35 for 65Mb, is just bloody great.

I'm sure some people are experiencing an even bigger delta between ADSL and suddenly having FTTP. That must feel like time travelling.

Man of Honour
I heard CityFibre is coming to the Town and starting work in one area abit far from me, other side of town. There is no "Progress" page on their website to tell you when they'll get to your area or a rough ETA. I phoned CityFibre up and they did'nt have a clue.
They have a twitter page but that's mostly for PR stuff. Wish they had more accurate information on their websites
Email them. I had an engineer responsible for my local area get back to me within a week.

Soldato
I personally feel that all companies are just going to let people go if they decide they want to move on instead of reducing the prices from now on.
It's strange as it's got to cost more to take on a new customer Vs keep a current one.

And when did it become the norm to have 18 and 24 month contracts.

Soldato
I think it's disgusting having anything more than 12 month contracts for anything except a house and a car.
I can see the point for mobile phones as you have to pay off a much more expensive phone.

But yeah not on for broadband. I see you have to send the router back now as well or they charge you for it. A lot seems to have changed in 2 or so years.

Permabanned
I can see the point for mobile phones as you have to pay off a much more expensive phone.

But yeah not on for broadband. I see you have to send the router back now as well or they charge you for it. A lot seems to have changed in 2 or so years.

I also hate the prices increases I really don't think they should be allowed to change a contract mid way.

Caporegime

Routers are no longer £30 items that ISP’s throwaway, they’re £100+ items that should be reused, not to mention the E-Waste. Also very few ISP’s charge significant setup costs despite sometimes the cost being over £100. That needs clawed back as well as keeping prices competitive. With some of the deals out there some ISP’s are only making £5 per month or so over cost from Openreach.

Back
Top Bottom