BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Routers are no longer £30 items that ISP’s throwaway, they’re £100+ items that should be reused, not to mention the E-Waste. Also very few ISP’s charge significant setup costs despite sometimes the cost being over £100. That needs clawed back as well as keeping prices competitive. With some of the deals out there some ISP’s are only making £5 per month or so over cost from Openreach.
If that's the case why is there not an option to reuse your own router? Sure the BT one would work with Sky.

Caporegime
If that's the case why is there not an option to reuse your own router? Sure the BT one would work with Sky.
Support limitations and not being privy to updates and new releases between ISP's. I know Sky used to limit non-sky routers purely from support and security standpoints. Sky knew who had what router by Mac address and used to limit or stop connections using the Mac addresses. Until some got wise and realised if you had another Sky Router you could swap it and get back online. Now the overall connection is limited.

Associate
You can check if it's in Phase 1 or Phase 2, but that's about it, the rest you just have to speculate on by watching roadworks progress on bidb.uk.
https://cf-mapping.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/maps/deployment.html
thanks I'm aware of that Map, but like i mention its not a local progress indicator. I mean its nice for an overview . But i believe once they start work in a city / town they should have a link to their website that you can track the progress of the deployment or a CityFibre rep that you could ping a msg to. O well just have to wait it out, My guess is they've started work in the far end of the town and should take them 8 to 12 months. So next year i can stick two fingers to virginMedia and their high latency net & crappy hub

Soldato
My BT contract is ending this month. Unless they can match £35 a month for 500Mb I'll be moving.

Talk Talk do 500Mb for £39 a month and it comes with a Amazon eero Pro 6 mesh router, are they any good ?

Other option is Vodaphone for 500Mb at £35 a month with what looks like a standard baisc router.

Caporegime
TalkTalk are good because not having to use PPPoE opens up a lot more possibilities to get routers that will run at line speed. On the downside they don't do IPv6 yet, but neither do Vodafone.

Associate
Anyone in here with sky for FTTP what's the router like?
Perfectly fine IMO. I don’t game though but I do work from home and only had one outage to do with DNS, which is really a Sky service problem than the router itself. Did have a small issue with one device that would disconnect for no reason but after I moved everything to static IPs it hasn’t happened again.

I did toy with the idea of getting another router but unsure it’s worth it for my needs really.

Soldato
I know this is the BT thread, but this is an interesting development in any case.

Toob are in build state in my area, so it looks like I could get 900mb up and down soon for £25/month, which is about half what I currently pay.

They're one of those fibre operators a bit like city fibre etc.

Depending on timeframes it may be cheaper for me to cut my ties with BT early. I don't see how BT can compete with this kind of pricing. Eventually OR may need to cut the price of the full fibre products.

Soldato
Just upgraded from 500 to 900 with BT, but my upload speed is still at 70mbit. Looks like this has been an issue for quite a few people, though as it’s above the guaranteed 10mbit is there any way I can get them to look at it?

Back
Top Bottom