BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
They aren't doing surveys for FTTP, the majority can be one-shot appointments. Surveying before would massively reduce the numbers of installations that can get done when there might only be 5% of jobs that get complicated.

Caporegime
Well that's a bit jank. Tried upgrading to Gigafast Sky on their website and it spews out an error. They obviously don't want any more money. :D

EDIT: And then it works on the fourth attempt. :confused:

Associate
I've just moved over from Virgin over to BT. With Virgin I was using the superhub in modem only mode with my Asus AX86U doing the routing and WiFi. I've looked through the Smart hub 2 settings and I can't see a way to stick it into modem only mode?

I've had a Google and it seems it's not supported. This seems a large oversight.

Am I better off letting the Smart Hub do the routing and just let the Asus function as a WiFi extender on the other side of the house? I can directly connect to cat 6 so would work well.

Soldato
You don't need to put it into modem mode afaik, you can set your ASUS router up with PPPoE, and plug it straight into the ONT.

If you search "BT FTTP PPPoE" you should get some good results @MG42Maniac

Associate
Thanks, that's very helpful!

I've found this guide: https://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/1005485/

I'm presuming I'd disable the WiFi on the Smart Hub and once I've finished setting up all the existing wireless devices would just continue as per usual?

EDIT: Further reading suggests I can just plug the Asus straight into the ONT so the smart hub isn't even needed at all?

Last edited:
Soldato
EDIT: Further reading suggests I can just plug the Asus straight into the ONT so the smart hub isn't even needed at all?
Nope it isn't needed at all, my bad I made the assumption you were on FTTP aswell, so hopefully you are otherwise this is embarrassing for me :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Seems to have only taken a few hours for Sky to switch me over. Not getting 900 Mbits though, I'm a bit short at 780. I suppose this is as good as it gets?

EDIT: Ookla Speedtest not exactly accurate. Peaked at 104.5MB/sec in Steam so I'll take that. Excellent. And it seems they have kept my original contract - it's not been reset to 18 months from today?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah, it's the 900 FTTP! I'll plug straight into the Asus so that's much easier! Thanks for the help, I'll sort this tomorrow and hopefully it's straightforward enough.

I have had 1 up and down for nearly a year now. Still pinch myself that it isn't real :cry:

13372253679.png

Associate
Well..... that was nice and easy! Almost feel embarrassed I asked. :cry: Literally just plugged ONT into Asus, popped in credentials and I am away. I've been with BT before on their old 330/50 package. Moved to Virgin for their 1Gbps package and back with BT again for their 900 package. I can already see the more responsive browsing.

Associate
Thinking of switching from my BT 900 to Vodafone as they have got some offers.

I noticed the vouchers are issued by Giftcloud. Just wondering if anyone has had any positive or negative experience with Giftcloud?

Associate
quick question:
moving from a flat that has fibre900, to a house, but the street has many houses (1 to 89), only the first 23 houses have superfast fibre, and yes my house is one of them and from 23 to 89 have full fibre, I'm hoping it will not be too long until my house gets connected to full fibre or could their be a problem why the first bunch of houses on the street are not full fibre and just superfast fibre ?

Man of Honour
quick question:
moving from a flat that has fibre900, to a house, but the street has many houses (1 to 89), only the first 23 houses have superfast fibre, and yes my house is one of them and from 23 to 89 have full fibre, I'm hoping it will not be too long until my house gets connected to full fibre or could their be a problem why the first bunch of houses on the street are not full fibre and just superfast fibre ?

Where I live 4 houses (I'm one of them) have FTTC connected to the exchange in the next village over in one direction while the rest of the houses only have ADSL and connect to a different exchange in the opposite direction and won't get FTTC any time soon let alone FTTP.

Back
Top Bottom