Building a Log Cabin

True, if you check the log images on the page 2 you'll see that all the logs are cut from the centre of the tree and the grains are very close. This is proper wood :)

Have a look out for agricultural IBC tanks, they store 1000l in a cubic metre, so a bit more space efficient, you can stack them too.

Generally 1000l tanks will store 1000l in 1 cubic metre...;)

OP why not do the electrics yourself? Looks pretty simple from the diagram.

OP why not do the electrics yourself? Looks pretty simple from the diagram.

Well, I'm Ok with using excavators, chop saws, mastic guns and paint brushes, but electrics I have no idea whatsoever - plus I need an electrical installation certificate for the insurance, and its a nightmare getting one issued on installations completed by a noob. I have budgeted for a sparky, if only I could find one willing to do such a small job. I'LL PAY CASH DAMNIT!

Last edited:
Not everyone knows that though :p

Anyway, you can sometimes pick these up on ebay for £25+ but transport may be an issue, I keep losing the auction otherwise I'd have a few by now.

Seems to be loads of buy it now's at that price? I think i will try and find a localish one and get me a couple.

Any reason why you didn't run multiple CAT5 cables to your cabin?

Now that's a bloody good point - would have saved me a lot of grief *facepalms. Anyway the router will be out there so...

Yes we have loads of garden left, there's another 32 meters from the back of the "shed" to the bottom fence.... Small house, big garden :)

Well, finally found a sparky who bothered to show up on the fourth attempt. He took one look at the armoured cable running to the "shed" that had been laid and shook his head. "You can only run a maximum of 6 sockets on that sir."

Arse. This of course means I now need to lay another beefier armoured cable to run the planned electrics which means TEARING UP THE BLOODY PATIO AGAIN. It is true to say that like most of this build, I am a noob.

Also means, like the busted Cat5, it can no longer run discretely under the concrete base and I have to make another penetration in the external wall. Which will of course expose the timber to rot unless properly sealed.

****in' 'ell. Oh well up and at 'em as they say, looks like I'm getting me spade out tomorrow.

Note to self - when undertaking projects, ensure you are fully aware of the capabilities of the services you lay, before laying a bleedin' patio over them. Thank god I did not concrete it in ;)

Last edited:
Been following this thread with interest.

I'm based at home and have been looking at Garden Offices from the normal places of approx 3mx2m/3mx3m and they were all coming in around £7-8k. After seeing your build, I managed to get a quote for something similar at Keops (either a Modena or Quanta) for around £3k.

Favouring the Modena at the mo as it's under the 2500mm limit so no planning permission costs/rigmarole.

My main concern with all of this is the temperature within the cabin. So, will it be too hot in summer/too cold in winter. Note that I would opt for roof/floor insulation with double glazing.

If I did find it too hot/cold, then it's seemingly a difficult task (due to wood swell), to create a void using a stud wall and insulate it. It also seems very expensive to opt for the PVC option.

On the flip side, I realise that at 6/9m^2, even if I did lose heat from the walls, it's not going to take a lot to bring it up to temperature and at a £4k saving over competitors... it's a lot of heating.

Decisions.

Well, first off its baking hot here today yet it is quite cool in the cabin.

Obviously I cant tell you what's its like when its cold yet.

Go for the thickest logs you can afford.

Re: Cavity wall; Keops sell a sliding bracket system which can be used to a fix batons to the inside of the cabin vertically and allow the wood to expand naturally, so you can stud partition it and insulate so long as you use a vapour barrier.

Well, first off its baking hot here today yet it is quite cool in the cabin.

Obviously I cant tell you what's its like when its cold yet.

Go for the thickest logs you can afford.

Re: Cavity wall; Keops sell a sliding bracket system which can be used to a fix batons to the inside of the cabin vertically and allow the wood to expand naturally, so you can stud partition it and insulate so long as you use a vapour barrier.

Thanks for the reply. Saw the sliding system, however I would assume that adding this and the PVC option would bring the costs closer to the standard garden offices that Henley and their ilk sell. It would also reduce the interior floorspace quite considerably.

I think I was looking at a 56mm log and along the lines of the comfort plus insulation as I would be in there for at least 9-10 hours a day during every season.

Think I'll draw up my want list, get a quote and reduce where needed :D

Back
Top Bottom