bulgaria - romania to join the EU good or bad

Soldato
The EU is steadily moving east and at the moment these two countries look like joining the EU.

I think it would be better to concentrate on the balkan states at the moment rather than try to link europe with the Middle East. If turkey joins EU will border IRAQ!

There was a discussion this morning regarding opening up the markets to romania and bulgarian migrants with romania's large gypsy population will we see a surge in economic migrants towards the west or a steady movement of skilled jobs going east, and would that be a bad thing if we all had the chance to live in sunny bulgaria?

Permabanned
Its an excellent idea - more growing economies for our goods and services.

I fully expect my positivity to be drowned under a flood of 'OMG IMMIGRANTZSSSSSS' posts though....

Soldato
Visage said:
Its an excellent idea - more growing economies for our goods and services.

I fully expect my positivity to be drowned under a flood of 'OMG IMMIGRANTZSSSSSS' posts though....

Using geek-speak doesn't make your side of the argument any more valid. :rolleyes: truth is, there are a LOT of romanian gypsies just itching for this to happen and i fear the worst.

Caporegime
I guess its a good thing as long as we do the sensible thing this time and put caps on the number of Bulgarians and Romanians who can come here and work.

Heh I saw on the news an interview with a bunch of Polish people who were now living in the UK about this. They were all complaining about how Bulgarian and Romanian immigrants would reduce the market price of labour and how they would be out of pocket. Where's Alanis?

Permabanned
Tried&Tested said:
Using geek-speak doesn't make your side of the argument any more valid. :rolleyes: truth is, there are a LOT of romanian gypsies just itching for this to happen and i fear the worst.

And using rolleyes, vague generalisations and unfounded speculation doesnt do a lot for your argument.

Man of Honour
BAD

The people are culturally different from the majority of the the rest of the continent, they are poor and have nothing to bring to the table except the begging bowl. They can have our place if they want it.

Soldato
iCraig said:
Bulgarian people tend to smell, and the Romanians are basically Russian yeah?

On that basis, I say no.

Romanians by their very name are related to the Italians, the Romans over ran the country when it rebelled and they then used it as a huge penal colony for all the dregs of Roman society. Today only about 20% of the population have access to mains water and sewer systems but over 45% of Maserati car production is exported to there.
Bulgaria is just a 3rd world nation that is too close to the Ukrainian mafia for my liking

Man of Honour
As long as the EU isn't exploited I have no issues with it at all. Neither if it helps diversify Europe even more - as long as they make the effort to blend in a bit I see no issues at all. I just hope that the bigger/wealthier countries don't get greedy and exploit those nations. Likewise I hope that this will help clamp down on the crime that happens in those countries.

Soldato
It makes my blood boil, what a stupid idea. I really struggling to understand what could motivate such a stupid move by the EU. I live in the Czech Republic and I know a little bit about bulgaria and romania. They are both rife with crime and corruption. We can not allow free migration of people from the above 2 countries. I don’t think the UK people know how bad organized crime is in Bulgaria.

And we do not want Doctors coming to work from either of the countries, Czech, Polish and Hungarian Doctors are very good. Bulgarian and Romanian doctors are a completely different story. Most people pay to pass exams there. I know a guy who graduated from Rominia and does not even know what the **** a Tricuspid is.

We are opening the door to the Mafia and Gypsies !

Associate
Good for Bulgaria and Romania in the long run. But not as good as it was for Poland or earlier members of the EU.

One big drawback for these countries will be the migration of skilled workers to Britain and Europe - the 'brain drain'. Poland has suffered from this and there is a dangerous shortage of doctors and dentists.

I personally don't want to see thousands of Romanians and Bulgarians flooding to our country. We just don't need them now. The BBC states that there have been nearly 600,000 migrants from the new EU since 2004. The Goverment expected only 15,000!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/5273356.stm

As you might expect from the BBC there is no mention of the consequences for our economy or implications for the government of this significant failure to estimate or control the influx of migrants.

Man of Honour
Although I totally disagree with the EU in principle, we are not going to leave anytime soon, unless we have a UKIP or BNP government after the next election. Therefore, perhaps we should take this opportunity to renegotiate our terms. I understand that since German reunification, only the UK and France are net contributers, Germany is now neutral. Therefore, the UK and France pay for the rest of them.

So, why don't we get all shirty and renegotiate on the basis that unless we get what we want we will leave, thereby bankrupting the whole organisation. A pretty strong position me thinks.

Out and out now as far as I am concerned. We should strengthening our political and economic ties with the commonwealth (plenty of poor contries to exploit there :p ), Australia, NZ, USA and Canada. Countries that have proven themselves to be our friends in the world and we can let Europe fester in its ancient hatreds and when that degenrates into yet another war, screw 'em.

Man of Honour
Ex-RoNiN said:
Wrong.

Correct.

Wrong

:)
What will they bring to the table then? Don't say a new market because nothing stops us selling to them at the moment, the reason we don't is because they are skint.

I and the vast majority of Europeans have nothing in common with Romania or Bulgaria in cultural terms.

Soldato
AJUK said:
I understand that since German reunification, only the UK and France are net contributers, Germany is now neutral. Therefore, the UK and France pay for the rest of them.

On the contrary, all countries pay, only a few take more than they give. Spain, Greece, Portugal and Ireland are the only countries that take more than they give.

Source

In terms of culture - Britain has nothing in common with anyone on the continent, however, most of Central Europe has close tie ins with Romania and Bulgaria, if you have been to Austria/Slovenia/Croatia/Slovakia/Serbia/Greece you would understand where and how these ties look like.

As for what they bring to the table - look at property prices, check again in 10 years. MASSIVE opportunity right there. Then there's cheap labour, Black Sea access, and the opportunity to buy and own the majority of their economy which will start thriving once in the club.

These economies will grow big and fast and that is why its a huge opportunity.

Man of Honour
I don't want to buy a house in Romania so what property prices have to do with it is beyond me. Your figures are out of date as well.

Back
Top Bottom