Bungalow build log

Soldato
OP
The Radiator is in a high splash area where it will remain wet/dam for an extended period of time, Wet towels being draped over it (for drying no doubt) will also add to the issue, ask any decent heating engineer they will tell you the same, designed to heat already dry towels not deal with high moisture areas.
Hopefully the extractor should sort a fair bit of humidity and I'll try look after it. Time will tell!

Cross posting the below for info.

What size is your bathroom and how much did all that cost. Looking to renovate our current bathroom which is about 2.2m x 3.3m but as it's a flat I'm not sure what the limitations are.

I'll need to double check, it's 1.7 at short side I think to around 3.5m long side.
Cost wise it's very expensive! :x
It was about 5.5k for labour (new window/ boxed in window for niche and brickwork done outside, Replastered, retiled, new floor, new wiring, plumbing/fitting)
Tiles around 400 (about 14/sqm so fairly cheap)
Shower screen/tray around 500
Shower 150
Radiator 150
Toilet/units/mirror about 500

All in looking at just shy of 7k:eek:

I had a slightly cheaper quote however this guy did the parents bathroom and I trusted him to work at my house whilst I was at work. It's the one bathroom. I have in the house so I wanted it done fairly quickly /properly otherwise in future I would consider DIY.

Last edited:

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Looking good. I like the tiles, I always find it hard to picture what it'll look like finished so am always slightly nervous till I see it complete.

We did pretty much that with our 25mm tray, works really well. Although with a shallow tray you'll never have much of a step anyway.

Good to hear, we wanted wet room trays and tile in both the family bathroom and en suite but didn't realise until after the extension was built that they are not compatible with easy joists.

Soldato
Hopefully the extractor should sort a fair bit of humidity and I'll try look after it. Time will tell!

Cross posting the below for info.

I'll need to double check, it's 1.7 at short side I think to around 3.5m long side.
Cost wise it's very expensive! :x
It was about 5.5k for labour (new window/ boxed in window for niche and brickwork done outside, Replastered, retiled, new floor, new wiring, plumbing/fitting)
Tiles around 400 (about 14/sqm so fairly cheap)
Shower screen/tray around 500
Shower 150
Radiator 150
Toilet/units/mirror about 500

All in looking at just shy of 7k:eek:

I had a slightly cheaper quote however this guy did the parents bathroom and I trusted him to work at my house whilst I was at work. It's the one bathroom. I have in the house so I wanted it done fairly quickly /properly otherwise in future I would consider DIY.

Thanks, I have **** myself with the cost expectations. I was hoping to do ours for about £3k so think we'll be doing it on a budget then :(

Soldato
When you have all finished your shower pop the wet towels in tumble dryer - that's a lot of moisture eliminated - One thing we have always done since moving here and having a decent bathroom is dry cubicle off after each use - last one in usually has to do it - it doesn't take long to blade it then run a car drying towel over it - Just keeps it looking good all the time.

Nice job by the way -do like the tiles.

Soldato
Thanks, I have **** myself with the cost expectations. I was hoping to do ours for about £3k so think we'll be doing it on a budget then :(
I redid our bathroom back in april/march did all the work myself other than plastering cost just under £2k. If you shop around it is very doable on a budget. (pics incoming)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Put in a new mirror, also replaced the old horrible radiator cover....

As the old rad cover was high and they only wallpapered up to it I've shimmed the height up with some skirting (mitred/ glued/painted)

The 60 quid cover and old skirting Beats the £210 the Internet wanted for an appropriate height one customised :x

paSRMiV.jpg

VAyIzQQ.jpg
(rad cover was in situ in the latter photo and hadn't been fixed in)

Soldato
OP
Laid some turf at the front garden and got rid of the stone mushroom I despised... The slabs were directly on soil so got loads of weeds in them. There's loads more round the front of the house and I dint want to change them all (most the rest aren't as bad weed wise).

Edged the turf into the existing slabs cut to a curve with the angle grinder. Hopefully the turf takes well, it was graft turning over/adding/raking all that soil!

Before
ZCdfjQO.jpg

z4m8Apw.jpg

tq6zQH5.jpg

hDkdEhi.jpg

Soldato
OP
Put a floating shelf in the kitchen with a spare bit of worktop and a couple fairly heavy duty fixings off ebay. Only needed to buy fixings and 12 mm drill bit.

Only problem I encountered was hitting cable shielding from non live cable from previous wiring! (had to move left support)

eJj6CjR.jpg

hbapyBs.jpg

ua2lYXH.jpg

Soldato
OP
I hate to say it but that Rad will be rusted out in 18 months...

I have a similar mirror, looked at it from VP and then searched eBay for it found it at 75% of the price with free delivery! it pays to shop around, turns out it was from a Bathroom place up in Birmingham not 5 miles from where I grew up :D

Over 18 months on, a little over 2 years im pleased to say theres little to no rusting:D. I think good ventilation in the shower makes all the difference.

House is also now sold! (as long as the sale completes :D)

Back
Top Bottom