Bungalow build log

Soldato
OP
Great effort on the gate.

I don't see a router in your pics. Did you just use your mitre saw to make the lap joints?

Yeah just mitred and used a multi tool and a wood chisel. Could be slightly neater but not bad for a first attempt. Got to make one around the corner as well.

Following this thread https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...gs-etc-save-me-neighbour-complaints.18824485/

I've Bought some threaded bars and resin to make some strong fixings for the posts to a neighbouring wall between myself and a neighbour - should be putting fence in next week

Pics
ne6fazH.jpg

Existing below I've tied in with some concrete screws
50I4nHu.jpg

Soldato
OP
Gate and fence on back side finished! Think I'm going to use the spare timber (decking boards) to make planter boxes. Anyone made them/got guides? (could easily mitre a load of 45deg corners and marry it up)

Got my bathroom being done on monday for 2 weeks and will need to get some before /after pics in for that...

Threaded bars worked pretty well! It seems sturdy
Xv1QBF0.jpg

GxZpRGc.jpg

xpzZOLU.jpg

tMMdY60.jpg

dIMLEm1.jpg
DJl8iUk.jpg

Also got new seats in the back

WLX6AfK.jpg

Soldato
hah 3 layers of tiles only in the walls of the bathroom... Which I've not done yet

You can only hear the drimaster running if you put your ear up close (with the fan on a high setting) when you're in the loft. Otherwise it can't be heard at all from beneath, it's suspended from a cable to the roof trusses, so no vibration/noise can easily be transferred.

Image of install here: oqbpfbph.jpg

It hasn't created any noticeable drafts, and mines installed in a narrow corridor, which is the worst kind of installation point (near walls)

In terms of humidity it has significantly reduced the humidity issues in the bedrooms backing onto the garage walls. If I leave the doors open will be around 60% measured from hygrometer, was previously 80+% (roughly)
-Humidity will still get high ish in the nights when sleeping, but will be resolved just by leaving the door open which suits our lifestyle (both at work all day). I expect the humidity to improve even more so when I get a door between the bedroom hall and the kitchen.

I've been installing roof lap vents in the loft the last week or so, as the non porous roof felt has been condensing a lot of water in it, due to the additional heat in the house with the increased insulation (which I made sure to leave gaps at the eaves!). I've since resolved this issue with roof lap vents thankfully, very poor quality old bitumen felt.

Having positive pressure isn't necessarily a good idea. The impact of positive pressure is typically that moisture is pushed into cracks around your windows etc, which is one of the reasons why damp is often seen primarily where windows are sealed onto a wall.

Obviously it's working for you, but I'd be very cautious using it in the winter as I'd expect damp to form around windows. If possible, I'd leave some windows open.

Soldato
OP
Getting the bathroom done this week / next (other guys in for it so I only had to remove the awful wallpaper :p) The tiles are looking good! Also replaced the floor and shower seaped through the old layers of tiles a bit :X

Ln6eiCn.jpg

sYehhcn.jpg

VYT9lCO.jpg

KEZYcgd.jpg

hOtRsWw.jpg

ABjqc3H.jpg

zqFJDkT.jpg

QFhFJoq.jpg

IkF2xgU.jpg

Soldato
Id probably have tanked the shower portion... Plasterboard and water are not a great idea!

Looks nice though, assuming they'll put trim around the window portion? Would be shame to have bare edge for sake of £30.

Soldato
OP
Id probably have tanked the shower portion... Plasterboard and water are not a great idea!

Looks nice though, assuming they'll put trim around the window portion? Would be shame to have bare edge for sake of £30.
Shower pipes are against is against brick if it makes a difference (old one was against plasterboard ..). Isn't tanking it just a bit belt and braces? Agree I'd probably do it if I DIYd it, but I dont have much knowledge on it tbh..

Yep tiling is all a work in progress! Full floor to ceiling will be getting done. new floor and cement boards on top

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Looking forward to having a shower again!

jfPw5qP.jpg

Tiling done but all units etc still to go in. I've been sorting out the front garden this weekend.

Looks like a really tidy job but those lines around the cubby holes are messing with my OCD, should look better grouted. Sorry

What size shower tray did you go with looks a good size?

Soldato
OP
Looks like a really tidy job but those lines around the cubby holes are messing with my OCD, should look better grouted. Sorry

What size shower tray did you go with looks a good size?

It is grouted :o. Looks good in person trust me!
Electrics getting done today.

Shower screen been fitted but has a small internal scratch in it :( (not in too high up/noticeable a place)

Tray almost fills full wall at 1700x900,so pretty big!

I'll get pics up when it's done. Hopefully the end of this week. The fitter is taking longer than expected so getting my moneys worth :p

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
It is grouted :o. Looks good in person trust me!
Electrics getting done today.

Shower screen been fitted but has a small internal scratch in it :( (not in too high up/noticeable a place)

Tray almost fills full wall at 1700x900,so pretty big!

I'll get pics up when it's done. Hopefully the end of this week. The fitter is taking longer than expected so getting my moneys worth :p

That'll teach me to comment from mobile phone size photographs :eek: Personally I would have centred the middle tile around the recesses but as long as it looks good and your happy that's all that matters :D

What height is the tray?, currently looking at the 1700x900x30 low profile trays and tiling up to them to give an almost wet room look.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I though the same about the tiles/niche but I imagine it's easier to align with the trim. Mine is 40mm height. Main thing I wanted was a stone one. I'll put up some pics soon..

Associate
Looking good. I like the tiles, I always find it hard to picture what it'll look like finished so am always slightly nervous till I see it complete.

What height is the tray?, currently looking at the 1700x900x30 low profile trays and tiling up to them to give an almost wet room look.
We did pretty much that with our 25mm tray, works really well. Although with a shallow tray you'll never have much of a step anyway.

Soldato
OP
Pics below, not much of a step into 40mm tray.
Get to use it tomorrow :D

Both units and mirror came from Victoria plum damaged. Fair play they send out replacements without asking for the old sop good CS, OK quality and poor standards.

The old bathroom
qEZAUHz.jpg

P1ZZQTV.jpg

QZ34clv.jpg

46FHiax.jpg

aRHWQ5U.jpg

0pvzIhW.jpg

Soldato
I hate to say it but that Rad will be rusted out in 18 months...

I have a similar mirror, looked at it from VP and then searched eBay for it found it at 75% of the price with free delivery! it pays to shop around, turns out it was from a Bathroom place up in Birmingham not 5 miles from where I grew up :D

Soldato
Why do you say that? (it's out of shower and not from Victoria plum)

The Radiator is in a high splash area where it will remain wet/dam for an extended period of time, Wet towels being draped over it (for drying no doubt) will also add to the issue, ask any decent heating engineer they will tell you the same, designed to heat already dry towels not deal with high moisture areas.

Back
Top Bottom