Bungalow build log

Soldato
OP
Finally moved into my place and put stuff in, however within a day in the bedroom there was some serious condensation up the back wall which backs onto the garage!

Will the following help?
  • Improving insulation above bedroom
  • Improving insulation above garage which bedroom backs onto
  • Do I need to add airbricks/similar or insulation between the bedroom and garage? They seem to have brick walls (and the garage doesn't seem ridiculously cold, despite no real insulation)
  • the pointing on the brickwork outside the bedroom /Garage is in poor condition, (and also hedges around the outside bricks

Any help appreciated!

For an update: covered up the fireplace with some free (!) sheet stainless steel off brother in law

xIYIOnH.jpg

Also got the tree up! (and a cheap interim dining table/chairs for 70 quid)
20161204_204233_zpswupybfhl.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Woke up today and there was a massive roof leak. Turns out one of the valves British gas installed is ****ing out water... (they recently installed boiler and new pipework)

Some pictures of the finished deal in the bedroom (its the back blue wall where the condensation arises. I think I've resolved this for now but still going to put some better insulation in.

PhotoGrid_1479076558214_zpseeq5gmpw.png

20161203_185621_zpsankrti1r.jpg

There is certainly more floor space in here than I anticipated! (I've since put a TV and xbox on the unit... The essentials :p)
20161203_185635_zpsbreg8xmp.jpg

Some pics of the other side of the living room with Xmas stuff (I fit one bracket for the curtains this evening..)

FB_IMG_1480885148261_zpscxxl7xmx.jpg

I'll update the OP at some point... Pending any interest!

Last edited:
Associate
This chimney doesn't have anything fixed to it... Thats a portable electric fire sitting there at the minute (as a placeholder)

No problem as far as I'm aware.

When I do get a log burner fitted I'll obviously open that area up.

They need a vent to prevent the buildup of condensation and damp. The previous owner of my last place made the same mistake and the chimney breast suffered from damp for a while before I opened it up and fixed it.

Soldato
OP
How come you didnt remove the wall unit under the window, given its mostly blocked by the sofa anyway?

A combination of lack of foresight and fearing what lay behind it!

Initially we didn't realise we wanted a sofa that big (or angled that way).
Oh well we have a well varnished unit which is completely hidden :o

(it works as a coffee table though when I'm laying on sofa :o

Associate
Regarding the condensation issue you need to keep the wall warm two options being keeping the garage warmer through better insulation and heating, or insulate the wall so that less heat is lost into the garage. As you say the garage is not particularly cold, if it is not directly heated it would suggest you are losing a reasonable amount of heat from your home into the garage. Coming from a lay person it would make sense to me but could be worth getting someone more qualified to take a look. Your planned use of the garage should determine which route to take.

Soldato
OP
Just insulated an exterior wall (internally). Makes a big difference

How much you use? I imagine just tie some wood posts into the brick wall and fill it up with ~100mm wool and then put plasterboard over the top? (on the inside wall of my garage).

Only issue is my house distribution board is on this adjoining wall so I'll need to leave that clear.

You got an estimated cost?

Soldato
OP
Just had a builder round and he suggested that I get a new window (as current doesn't have trickle vents). Is that very likely to help? Don't think I'll go down that route

He also suggested that adding a thin layer of insulation to the roof top (ie near the felt) was an easier / more effective job than removing the existing 100mm insulation on the roof floor and adding 300mm insulation and re boarding at a higher level??

Also stripped all the wallpaper in the smaller 3rd bedroom today, but realise it will need re-lining papered as the wall is in pretty poor condition.
Any tips on wallpapering? It's something I've never done before.

Associate
Just had a builder round and he suggested that I get a new window (as current doesn't have trickle vents). Is that very likely to help? Don't think I'll go down that route

He also suggested that adding a thin layer of insulation to the roof top (ie near the felt) was an easier / more effective job than removing the existing 100mm insulation on the roof floor and adding 300mm insulation and re boarding at a higher level??

Also stripped all the wallpaper in the smaller 3rd bedroom today, but realise it will need re-lining papered as the wall is in pretty poor condition.
Any tips on wallpapering? It's something I've never done before.

Trickle vents are fairly pointless. You pay for a window to be efficient at keeping the heat in and then put a hole through the frame.

Depending on how bad the wall is in that 3rd bedroom, its far easier and a better job to get it skimmed. Shouldn't cost too much and would be a far better finish.

Soldato
OP
£150 to batten wall, 50mm insulation and 12.5mm Plasterborad with vapour barrier between batten and PB. Some say insulated PB better, adhered to wall and mechanically fixed.
Just realised, note I would be doing the exterior wall (garage side). (so interior to garage but obv I don't care about how that looks... Much)

Would you mind saying the insulaton type you've used?
Is there an issue with airflow having the insulation direct against the garage brickwork? Are there any laymans guides to this?

*I will have to leave gaps in this for the electrical distributor and gas lines

Also, has anyone got any recommended insulation for roofs? Im not sure wether to top up (and reboard), or whether I should chuck out all the old stuff at the same time?

(is there a way to tell if insulation is old/rubbish? I know it's the old fibreglass yellow stuff) - I hate handling it but wool is expensive!

Last edited:
Permabanned
Will be watching this.

Bizarre that you fit engineered wood flooring but bodge other things.

I've just had my whole downstairs renovated - opened up kitchen/diner, new windows/doors/patios etc. Will be posting when I am finished (hopefully in the next week or so).

Good luck :) its a pain in the arse

Soldato
Will be watching this.

Bizarre that you fit engineered wood flooring but bodge other things.

I've just had my whole downstairs renovated - opened up kitchen/diner, new windows/doors/patios etc. Will be posting when I am finished (hopefully in the next week or so).

Good luck :) its a pain in the arse

Bodge? Thats not nice to say

Back
Top Bottom