Bye Bye Game!

Caporegime
are all the stores closing?

in leicester town both game stores are open and as no signs to close..

I nipped in the other day, I reported back that they were just selling off pre owned games at a discount that barely counts as a discount.

They won't close until administration, they'll panic and try and sell off all the stock I'd guess too.

Associate
Well where i live, the town is pretty much just full of hair dressers..
Huntingdon isnt a very big town, but still has 7 hair dressers all down the one stretch of road haha.. Would be a right pee take if GAME were to close and another hair dressers opened up in its place haha

Soldato
hmmm i bought an xbox 360 from game this time last year, and took out the extra warranty for it 4 years! wtf happens then if game does close for good :S

If they are still using Allianz then take it up with them, it should have nothing to do with game other than they sold it to you on behalf of them...

Associate
If they are still using Allianz then take it up with them, it should have nothing to do with game other than they sold it to you on behalf of them...

might just try and sell it, don't use it that much anyway. No point in it gathering dust i suppose, let someone else sort out the warranty problem :p

Soldato
Hmm Fallot New Vegas Ultimate Edition (PC) is the same price in Game as on Amazon, debating wether to get it but it just looks like a F3 expansion and the engine is looking so tired...

New Vegas is a brilliant game, the engine is looking tired but with some mods it looks fantastic, If you have only recently played FO3 then it is a bit samey but after a break from FO3 I loved New Vegas, I would probably say it was the better game

Soldato
One of the reasons PC games declined at retailers like GAME is the focus on pre-owned. Due to DRM and CD keys you can't sell a PC game more than once, unlike console games where they can recycle the same few copies over and over again via their trade-in system, making a large profit each time.

That policy directly led to the current situation with day-one DLC and other methods publishers have used to make second hand copies less desirable, which of course has also affected PC versions of the same games.

That large profit has came at the price of alienating a large section of the games market. Now the business is heading to administration, they priced and mis-stocked themselves out of business. One thing I would say is that MMOs have had a large effect of the PC(and console) games retail market, large numbers of people stick to one game for years on end is not good for retailers. That is retailers that don't cater to them or try to draw them to other games. You go into game and the only gaming to be had is on a small 24" screen and the controller is unlikely to be plugged in, the only sound to be heard is top of the pops. It should be like walking into an old arcade, with games being played and their sounds blasting away. You may aswell be buying Y-fronts in Dun-Stores as shopping in game.

Man of Honour
New Vegas is a brilliant game, the engine is looking tired but with some mods it looks fantastic, If you have only recently played FO3 then it is a bit samey but after a break from FO3 I loved New Vegas, I would probably say it was the better game

Even without mods it was a fantastic game. Well worth the price. Can't believe there are people who haven't played it!

Associate
That large profit has came at the price of alienating a large section of the games market. Now the business is heading to administration, they priced and mis-stocked themselves out of business. One thing I would say is that MMOs have had a large effect of the PC(and console) games retail market, large numbers of people stick to one game for years on end is not good for retailers. That is retailers that don't cater to them or try to draw them to other games. You go into game and the only gaming to be had is on a small 24" screen and the controller is unlikely to be plugged in, the only sound to be heard is top of the pops. It should be like walking into an old arcade, with games being played and their sounds blasting away. You may aswell be buying Y-fronts in Dun-Stores as shopping in game.

Agree with that, though i have not been into game for over 3 years now, just no need to go there when you can get cheaper deals on the internet.

Soldato
Just came back from Basingstoke, poped into a GAME shop....

Saw Super Mario World priced at £29.99 (in the typical GAME purple sticker writing).

And then next to it, they had a red circular label (bigger one) with a price of £32.99.

Wonders....

Man of Honour
Sunday Times reporting that GAME need to find £180m by the end of the week to avoid collapse.
£21m rent payment next Sunday and a £12m wage bill at the end of the month alongside £10m VAT and £40m owed to suppliers.

Speculation that they could be in administration early this week.

Soldato
The board or the chimps whom are supposedly running Game, are idiots. Why not leave things to the last minute and hope things will somehow work themselves out. How is anyone able to run a company like that?

As someone pointed out, how does a shop which sells games, let you rely on just being able to look at the back of boxes to sell them? These guys shouldnt be allowed near any business ever again.

Soldato
The board or the chimps whom are supposedly running Game, are idiots. Why not leave things to the last minute and hope things will somehow work themselves out. How is anyone able to run a company like that?

As someone pointed out, how does a shop which sells games, let you rely on just being able to look at the back of boxes to sell them? These guys shouldnt be allowed near any business ever again.

Whichever way you look at it, it's surely inevitable that with the likes of online game e-tailers including steam, plus supermarkets selling games, that there's just no way a games only retailer could survive for much longer.

Soldato
Well I bought a halo reach xbox 360 off gamestation for £150 and it was broken. Went back into the store and they tried to feed me some utter poo about not giving refunds on products and only offering exchanges. I told them where to shove it and got my money back after some rather explosive angry shouting about my stationary rights etc etc.

NEVER AGAIN.

Didn't even realise I could get a standard xbox online for £177 anyway.

Back
Top Bottom