*******C.A.R.S - Community Assisted Race Sim*********

i don't care what state its in I just want to play it ... Funds were very tight during there "investment period" and now money isn't a primary issue I just wanna buy it ... I need an early access release candidate or something . Asseto isn't keeping my attention

I suggested that the game should go on Steam Early Access, but quite a few members poured scorn on the idea.

It's almost as if some of them don't want to share with the great unwashed. :D

Assetto Corsa made enough money from early access that they've reinvested back into the game to allow for more development.

The devs haven't commented either way.

Anyone who still has access to the game and hasn't played for a long time should really revisit it and see what they think.

I'd be interested on some genuine opinions.

I've been a weekly build (team member?) gamer for about two years now I think. I played it a fair amount around that time but since then I have only really popped back every couple of months for a couple of days to see what it is like.

The menus are horrendous
Why was the menu system changed several times over the years? The last main revision was fine (car in a garage with the windows 8 style buttons down the side, and the one before with the buttons along the bottom (or was it top?))
Why can I no longer see the cars and tracks before I select them?
Why, when I view a car and then press back, do I still get booted to the top of the car list?
Why are the tracks no longer in alphabetical order?

The graphics are nice
Where has the option to change the 'feel' of the hdr filter (I think it is) gone?
The optimisations of the game seem to be keeping up with the added background 'stuff' to render- the worlds look much more impressive than they did, and performance is largely the same (40-50fps on a 7970 with not quite max settings)

The gameplay is not great
The weather effects are fantastic.
Why have the 30+ camera options been removed during gameplay? They were great!
The Pro difficulty preset has made driving with the 360 controller very difficult, mainly due to steering sensitivity or 'snap back', or something. I used to drive with all the assists off just fine using the 360 controller preset. I assume the pro setting tweaked the controls more for wheels maybe?
The car selection isn't that exciting really.
The track selection and quality of modelling is great.
I like the many customisable HUD options. I haven't got it to work very well in game but this is pre release.
It has a spotify connection, which is neat for people with spotify.
All sound effects remain 'quite good'.

All in all I think it has gone down from its peak about a year ago. When the menus were easy to use and the handling was spot on with a 360 controller. This was about the time when I could drive around Historic Spa in a Merc 600SEL with that fantastic engine noise.

Where the **** has Historic Spa gone?!?!?!

Last edited:
I agree on the UI, it is a bit rubbish, but they are in most racing games. You either get something functional or something like Codemaster do, which is just plain annoying.

But the UI isn't finished by any means and hopefully there's room to improve it a lot over the next 5 months.

No idea where historic spa went.

When you say the gameplay is not great, I'm not sure I agree.

For me, any racing sim is about the racing, whether that's online or against AI. In any racing game that is more sim than game it isn't going to be that different than anything we've played in the past. You can either have a career mode, practice, quick race or multiplayer.

You can only really add gameplay mechanics to something like an NFS or Burnout game.

I never play sims with a pad so I don't know how good or bad it is. For me, it's sims with a wheel and arcade racers with a pad.

Last edited:
I agree on the UI, it is a bit rubbish, but they are in most racing games. You either get something functional or something like Cosemaster do, which is just plain annoying.

But the UI isn't finished by any means and hopefully there's room to improve it a lot over the next 5 months.

There's been some UI mockups done by a pCars member & they look much better than what they currently have.

Page 234 of the UI Design thread on the WMD forum. Posters name is Fernando Pedace.

There's been some UI mockups done by a pCars member & they look much better than what they currently have.

Page 234 of the UI Design thread on the WMD forum. Posters name is Fernando Pedace.

The UI doesn't really bother me.

I can go from one page to another without stupid animations or other guff that adds nothing to the game.

Some things need tweaking.

Like adjusting your controls. You finish calibrating the wheel and on saving it goes back a page instead staying on the same page to do the pedals . So you end up have to click on controls again to calibrate pedals.

Car and track selection could be a whole lot better and some things need to be skipable. I don't want to hear the same stuff over and over if I've deleted my profile and am starting again.

I agree on the UI, it is a bit rubbish, but they are in most racing games.

I am also not really bothered by UI; when I say the UI is rubbish, I mean it doesn't really work at the moment. If this ui version was fixed, it would be fine, I mean it is pretty standard really, I agree I don't need codemasters style transitions between menus and a stupid unskippable voice over and options to add youtube account crap etc. I just mean things like why are there two different ways of selecting track, and the second one (the browse option) that takes a further button press, is the better one? The change from the working, fluid ergonomic, menu system not that long ago makes it more annoying.

I am also hopeful it is fixed over the next five months because like I said above, it will be fine when it works.

...When you say the gameplay is not great, I'm not sure I agree.

...I never play sims with a pad so I don't know how good or bad it is. For me, it's sims with a wheel and arcade racers with a pad.

The bold "The gameplay is not great" is the title of that second list (of reasons why the gameplay isn't great). I wouldn't say something so sweeping and vague without reasoning! I'm happy with the standard singleplayer, career, multiplayer etc. For me, Sim Racing gameplay either lets me get 'in the zone', or it doesn't; it did before with an older 360 pad set up, but now I just can't.

Looking over the wiki, it seems that Historic Spa is not in the final release. I'll be very annoyed if it reappears as DLC! :mad::mad:

I've also noticed that historic Northampton isn't in the track list either.

In fact non of the historic tracks are there anymore, Rouen, Monza, Hockenheim are few others I remember playing before, that are missing.

So maybe they're thinking of historic tracks DLC.

I've also noticed that historic Northampton isn't in the track list either.

In fact non of the historic tracks are there anymore, Rouen, Monza, Hockenheim are few others I remember playing before, that are missing.

So maybe they're thinking of historic tracks DLC.

The car list lists quite a few historic cars so I think you might be right.

Do you think we, as crowd funders, are entitled to this content free of charge, especially as we have beta tested it already so in effect it is content that has been removed from the game rather than new content added?

I tried the build that has begun to float around the internet as hinted in my previous post. I just don't understand why the game looked terrible especially when I maxed everything including supersampling. edit sorted but I need the brewed sli inspector profile.

Oh nice, admitting piracy, I want my share of profit from you and all other purchasers of pCARS!

In other news: Good to see forum members in here that I know are tier members keep up with developments on the official forum.

Ive not played this for a good while, so reinstalled this latest build and I'm so glad to see Cadwell has been added, had a quick blast in an E30 M3 around it and have to say its very good, I've driven it myself a few times in real life in an E36 328, Civic TypeR and also MX5. For the most part the steepness of the track is present, some parts don't quite feel right, but overall its very good. The graphics and handling seem to have improved since I last played, but I'm only using an Xbox360 pad, I need to find time to get my Fanatic wheel, pedals and shifter and homemade cockpit rig dusted off and setup.

Oh nice, admitting piracy, I want my share of profit from you and all other purchasers of pCARS!

In other news: Good to see forum members in here that I know are tier members keep up with developments on the official forum.

Did it occur to that that maybe he just wanted to try it out and would happily pay for it when it's, you know, actually available to purchase?

Dat high horse...

I was too late to the party with this and wasn't able to get access so I grabbed the "recent" version, very impressed with it. Got sli working properly last night and at a locked 120 fps it is a beautiful game. Day 1 purchase for me when it finally comes out.

What settings are people running to get it looking beautiful?
I've got pretty much everything at ultra/max and whatever AA settings I try, it looks fairly gash tbh. Terrible aliasing and not much in the way anything I'd call pretty.
Also, performance is horrific. @1080p with just me on track (Spa), I see around 35-50fps and that's with a couple of OC'd 290's running at 99%. I know it favours Nvidia, but that's ridiculous.
Any tips and trick here?

petey what are you using as reference ?

remember all pics are normally downsized so look better than ingame (ps probably tweaked also ) also pcars in other views looks a lot better than when actually driving view.

take off any blurs/post process.

Lower Car Detail down to High.

Drop reflections down to High as well, as ultra shows the car/s beside you reflected on your bodywork = useless for cockpit view.

Lowering the Render Frame Ahead will reduce input lag slightly iirc.
Was always told to set it to 1 or 0 with rFactor, etc... so I assume that still applies these days.

I'd also keep detailed grass off for now until they optimize it.
It'll knock 20+fps off on its own, and it looks fairly poor at the moment.

Is Project Cars the spiritual sequel to Shift 2?

Been watching some videos and looking at the screenies in the high res thread - which look amazing btw - and it looks very NFS Shift 2 to me. (I know its the same developer) They even have the little rubber chunks of debris on the track mainly found on corners, this is identical to Shift 2.

I love Shift 2 and think its still one of the best racing games out there compared to other more recent games. Really looking forward to PCars. I missed the Steam access :(

Back
Top Bottom