Caffeine Detox Time

• Thread starter Thread starter LiE
  • Start date Start date
Tomorrow I start another detox. God knows how many times I've done this now, but I do feel the time between detoxes is getting shorter.

I usually start my detox on a Sunday as I go for a morning run and that flushes the system and gives me a natural high to counter the lack of stimulants.

Genuine question (because I do this myself too), outside of the obvious "it's an addictive substance", and combined with the fact we know we're generally better/healthier/etc. off of caffeine, why in the hell do we keep coming back to it?

I've been reducing my intake to once a week in a third wave coffee shop, which I think I'm fine with, but every now and then I slip into grabbing a monster on the way into work, then I do it the next day because, well why not, and then the next day, and before you know it it's a habit again. Wish I could break the cycle, I love how much easier I sleep off it, and how much sharper I feel.

If decaf tasted *exactly* the same as caff, and had the same shelf life, and various properties of caff, I'd swap for decaf tea & coffee in a palpitated heart beat.

I'm nearly a week in with a detox from caffeine (well still having a bit via decaffeinated tea and cocoa powder). Mostly just a little bit tired all the time. I think initially there was a bit of a boost for sleep quality, overnight heartrate and HRV was a bit better too.

Genuine question (because I do this myself too), outside of the obvious "it's an addictive substance", and combined with the fact we know we're generally better/healthier/etc. off of caffeine, why in the hell do we keep coming back to it?

I've been reducing my intake to once a week in a third wave coffee shop, which I think I'm fine with, but every now and then I slip into grabbing a monster on the way into work, then I do it the next day because, well why not, and then the next day, and before you know it it's a habit again. Wish I could break the cycle, I love how much easier I sleep off it, and how much sharper I feel.

I find it easy to stay pretty much caffeine free because it make my beta blockers pretty pointless :cry: .

I do have to odd can of cola / caffeinated hot drink - but it's like once per few weeks now. I tend to drink decaff coffee (which I can't tell the difference anymore), redbush tea and coke zero zero, oh and water of course!

Last edited:
As an ex smoker(long time ago) I found giving up Diet Coke harder much harder, not sure if its the caffeine or the other junk in it. But the headaches I got and the lethargy was really bad

I've actually been thinking of doing this myself, I've become a bit overly reliant on caffeine to get through workouts lately and it's to the point I'm taking a lot more than I'm comfortable with in one sitting.

There's an interesting video somewhere on the internet of a goat herd that eats coffee plants and then goes a bit crazy. It's the same effect in humans. If you're having to drink coffee or caffeine drinks to get through the day, then you really need to adjust your lifestyle, as it should not be required.

I've actually been thinking of doing this myself, I've become a bit overly reliant on caffeine to get through workouts lately and it's to the point I'm taking a lot more than I'm comfortable with in one sitting.

coming along for the withdrawal ride?

I always start my detox with a run in the morning.

coming along for the withdrawal ride?

I always start my detox with a run in the morning.

I think I'm going to have to tbh, been on my mind for awhile but seeing your post kicked me up the bum a bit.

I took poorly a month or two back and was struggling with certain sessions at the gym, there was a time I only bothered with caffeine once or twice a week or if going heavy. That turned into every session to force myself through it after the illness, I'm at a point now where 400-600mg does barely helps which really isn't healthy.

Back
Top Bottom